I believe we must embrace the future. The next decade in health care will bring unprecedented challenges. These challenges are also opportunities to excel in our three missions—clinical, education and research.
2019 One Radiology Quality Improvement Committee
Learn about the radiology Quality Improvement (QI) Committee's FY19 Frontline Driven Focus Area projects.
Improvement projects centered around reducing waste in health care delivery; improving safety and eliminating preventable harm; and optimizing patient outcomes and experiences.
Awards, Grants and Scholarships
- Vicki Migues-Jordan, Johns Hopkins Hospital Radiology IR Clinical Operations Supervisor, as one of the recipients of the 2019 Martin Luther King Jr. Award for Community Service.
- Dr. Jeff Bulte has been awarded 1 of 21 Somatic Cell Genome Editing Grants
- Dr. Elliot Fishman has won the 2019 Minnies: Best Radiology Image for his Cinematic rendering of an abdominal scan.
- Dr. Jeff Bulte has been named a fellow of the World Molecular Imaging Society.
- Dr. Elliot Fishman has also won the 2019 Minnies for Best Educational Mobile App with his CTisus iPearls iOS app. He is a record holder of 10 Minnie Awards.
Dr. Ken Taguchi has been appointed Professor
Dr. Taguchi is recognized as one of the leaders in spectral photon counting CT. His Vision 20/20 paper in Medical Physics is recognized as a landmark paper and his detector model and simulator has been supporting the CT research community.
Dr. Laura Fayad will assume the new role as the Chief of the Division of Musculoskeletal Imaging
In the last 5 years, Dr. Fayad has been responsible for the strategic planning, clinical operations, and development and support of research activities for Musculoskeletal Imaging.
Dr. Richard Edden has been appointed Postdoctoral Program Director
In this role, Richard Edden, Ph.D. will organize, guide, and mentor radiology post-doctoral fellows.
Dr. Peiying Liu has been appointed Associate Professor
Dr. Liu’s work involves the development and application of MRI techniques for the assessment of brain perfusion and metabolism in neonates and adults.
Dr. Sachin Gujar has been appointed Assistant Director of Neuroradiology
Dr. Gujar is an Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science and has been a faculty member at Johns Hopkins since 2008. Prior to Johns Hopkins, Dr. Gujar was a faculty member at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, where he also completed a two-year fellowship in Neuroradiology.
Dr. Linda Chu has been promoted to Associate Professor
Dr. Chu has clinical expertise in pancreatic imaging and abdominal oncologic imaging. She is an accomplished clinical investigator who has achieved national reputation in developing quantitative imaging biomarkers for disease detection and prognostication.
Dr. Majid Khan has been promoted to Associate Professor
Dr. Khan is Director of Non-Vascular spine intervention program at Hopkins since 2017 and is a nationally and internationally recognized expert in spine tumor ablation and has performed most cases of osseous Microwave tumor ablation in the world.
Meet February's Faculty of the Week
Recent Awards, Grants and Scholarships
Vicki Migues-Jordan awarded the 2019 Martin Luther King Jr. Award for Community Service
- Dr. Zaver M. Bhujwalla was awarded the ISMRM 2019 Gold Medal for contributions using MRI and MRS in advancing our understanding of the aberrant choline metabolism that exists in most cancers and of the role of the tumor microenvironment in cancer metastasis.
- Dr. Mahadevappa Mahesh will lead the department’s “Peer to Peer” junior faculty program
- Dr. Karen Horton is highlighted as one of Johns Hopkins Medicine's Women in Leadership
- Zaver M. Bhujwalla, M.Sc., Ph.D. was named as the second recipient of the William R. Brody Professorship in the Russell H. Morgan Department of Radiology and Radiological Science.
- Radiology’s Quality Improvement Committee was highlighted in the Voices for Safer Care blog. Read the feature.
- David Yousem, M.D., M.B.A. is the recipient of the Radiological Society of North America's (RSNA's) Outstanding Educator award for 2018. Each year, the RSNA Board of Directors selects a recipient who has demonstrated significant contributions and a long-term commitment—15 years or more—to radiologic education.
- Drs. Harvey, Pathak and Pearl recognized for dedication to Johns Hopkins core values. The Living the Hopkins Mission honorees were nominated by their peers as part of the celebration of the 125th anniversary of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- Cory Kress, Ashley Pasker, Anna Rhodes and Kelly Walter took first place for their scientific poster at the Georgia Society of Nuclear Medicine meeting in Savannah.
- Wei Zhu received Post-Doctoral Fellowship Grant from Maryland Stem Cell Research Fund
- Kristine Glunde, Vinay Ayyappan, BME undergraduate student in Dr. Kristine Glunde lab, received an Astronaut Scholarship.
- Dan Wu (MPI Jennifer Lee) received an R01 NS107417 (NINDS) “Brain Microstructural MRI in a Piglet Model of Hypoxia-Ischemia”
- Hanzhang Lu received 2 R01 and 1 R21 grants and was invited to chair NIH’s Biomedical Imaging Technology-A (BMIT-A) Study Section
- Doris Lin received 2018 Perovitch Research Award
- Harvey Ziessman was honored as a Fellow of the Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging in recognition of his contributions to the field of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging and to the SNMMI.
- Richard Edden and post doc fellow, Gorg Oeltzschner, got an R21 funded
- Joel Fradin received an award from JHU Ob/ Gyn Department for his "Valuable Contributions to the Education of Gynecologists and Obstetricians”
- Shadpour Demehri - Delaram Shakoor, post-doctoral research fellow in Shadpour Demehri’s lab, won second best award for their abstract: "Three- Dimensional Magnetic Resonance Imaging For Detection Of Knee Meniscal Injuries: A Meta-Analysis of Diagnostic Performance”, which was presented at the International Workshop of Osteoarthritis Imaging (IWOAI) in Menton, France.
- Eric Frey was this year's recipient of the Edward J. Hoffman Memorial Award, which is presented annually by SNMMI's Computer and Instrumentation Council
- Bharath Venkatesh received two awards through the “Older Americans Independence Center” and the “Maryland Innovation Initiative”
Dr. Alyin Tekes has been appointed Division Chief of Pediatric Radiology
Dr. Tekes completed clinical fellowships in Pediatric Radiology and Neuroradiology at Johns Hopkins and joined faculty in the Division of Pediatric Radiology in 2008. She served as Deputy Director for her division 2015-2018, and since July 2018 she has been the Interim Division Chief of Pediatric Radiology.
Dr. Monica Watkins is the new Director of Neuroradiology
Monica Watkins, MD is assuming the role of Director of Neuroradiology at Johns Hopkins Community Radiology National Capital Region. Outside of her clinical duties, Dr. Watkins has served on the Neuroradiology section review committee for Radiographics and given lectures for the Department of Health and Human Services, The American College of Radiology Neuroradiology review and the Case Based Review series for RSNA.
Dr. Rebecca A. Krimins is the new director of the Express Radiology Research Lab
The Express Radiology Research Lab is a preclinical research lab focused on advanced radiology training and large animal research. Dr. Krimins plans to expand the capabilities of the lab in order to offer radiology faculty, residents and students support to conduct preclinical studies.
Dr. Christos Georgiades has been promoted to Professor of Radiology
Dr. Georgiades' clinical and research focused on intra-arterial therapies for liver neoplasms and percutaneous ablation for kidney cancer.
Dr. Pamela Johnson has been promoted to Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
Dr. Johnson’s clinical area of expertise is body CT, with a focus on oncology and vascular disease. Her scholarship in these areas has been achieved through 180 publications and >100 presentations at RSNA and national meetings, recognized with 18 RSNA awards over the years.
Dr. Shivani Ahlawat has been promoted to Associate Professor of Radiology and Radiological
Dr. Ahlawat is a nationally recognized expert on high resolution MRI of peripheral nerves, specifically the detection and characterization of peripheral nerve injury and MR imaging of peripheral nerve tumors.
Dr. Ihab Kamel is chosen to be the Chair of Radiology at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Effective Monday, November 19, 2018, Dr. Ihab Kamal will oversee and coordinate clinical operations as the Chair of Radiology at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center. Dr. Kamal is recognized nationally and internationally by his involvement in radiology associations and has developed a multidisciplinary clinic to discuss the diagnosis and management of complex liver cases.
Dr. Haris Sair chosen to be the Chief of the Division of Neuroradiology
Dr. Sair has served as Associate Director of Neuroradiology since 2017 and the Interim Division Chief of Neuroradiology since November 2017. During his widespread collaborations with radiology and other departments – including neurosurgery, anesthesiology, psychiatry, radiation oncology and emergency medicine – he has published groundbreaking work such as the potential prognostic value of rs-fMRI in predicting patient outcome following anoxic brain injury.
Past Faculty of the Week