I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Pamela T Johnson, M.D.
Vice Chair of Quality and Safety, Department of Radiology
Associate Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
Expertise: Diagnostic Radiology
Research Interests: Multidetector row CT; Protocol design and interpretation
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
Appointment Phone: 443-997-7237
1800 Orleans St.
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 443-997-7237
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Pamela T. Johnson is an Associate Professor in the Johns Hopkins Medicine Department of Radiology and Radiological Science and Vice Chair of Quality and Safety. Her area of expertise is Body CT and her research interests include protocol design to optimize multidetector row CT and performance improvement for vascular and oncologic imaging.
Dr. Johnson is also actively involved in advancing high value practice at Johns Hopkins as the Director of Appropriate Imaging in the Department of Radiology and the Co-Director of the Johns Hopkins Health System High Value Care Committee. Nationally, she chairs the American College of Radiology Choosing Wisely® Working Group and is the founder and co-director of the High Value Practice Academic Alliance (www.hvpaa.org), a consortium of nearly 90 academic medical centers collaborating on high value care quality improvement, research and education.
Dr. Johnson graduated Cum Laude from Harvard University in 1987 and earned her medical degree as a member of AOA from Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia, PA in 1991. She completed her residency at The Johns Hopkins Hospital where she was elected Chief Resident and performed a fellowship in ultrasound, computed tomography (CT), and magnetic image resonance imaging (MRI) at Jefferson University Hospital. Dr. Johnson joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 2005.
Dr. Johnson is a member of the Radiologic Society of North America, the American Roentgen Ray Society, the Association of University Radiologists, the Society of Abdominal Radiology and the American College of Radiology.
- Vice Chair of Quality and Safety, Department of Radiology
- Director of Appropriate Imaging, Department of Radiology
- Associate Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
- Associate Professor of Oncology
- Joint Appointment in Urology
- MD, Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University (1991)
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine / Radiology (1996)
- Thomas Jefferson University Hospital / Ultrasound (1997)
- American Board of Radiology / Diagnostic Radiology (1996)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Johnson PT, Fishman EK. Enhancing Image Quality in the Era of Radiation Dose Reduction: Postprocessing Techniques for Body CT. J Am Coll Radiol. 2018 Mar;15(3Pt A):486-488. doi: 10.1016/j.jacr.2017.11.001. Epub 2018 Jan 2. PubMed PMID:29305078
Johnson PT, Alvin MD, Ziegelstein RC. Transitioning to a High Value Health Care Model: Academic Accountability. Acad Med. 2017 Nov 1. doi:10.1097/ACM.0000000000002045. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 29095705.
Jensen J, Lin T, Fishman EK, Johnson PT. Pulmonary CTA in sickle cell patients: quantitative assessment of enhancement quality. Emerg Radiol. 2017 Dec;24(6):667-674. doi: 10.1007/s10140-017-1541-3. Epub 2017 Aug 11. PubMed PMID:28801805.
Expert Panels on Vascular Imaging and Gastrointestinal Imaging:, Singh-Bhinder N, Kim DH, Holly BP, Johnson PT, Hanley M, Carucci LR, Cash BD, Chandra A, Gage KL, Lambert DL, Levy AD, Oliva IB, Peterson CM, Strax R, Rybicki FJ, Dill KE. ACR Appropriateness Criteria(®) Nonvariceal Upper Gastrointestinal Bleeding. J Am Coll Radiol. 2017 May;14(5S):S177-S188. doi: 10.1016/j.jacr.2017.02.038. PubMed PMID: 28473074.
Alvin MD, Horton KM, Johnson PT. Training Radiology Residents to be Stewards in Healthcare Value. Acad Radiol. 2017 Jun;24(6):755-756. doi:10.1016/j.acra.2016.10.016. Epub 2017 Feb 24. PubMed PMID: 28238603.
Rowe SP, Rowe KH, Hill P, Johnson PT. Challenges in Quality Improvement: Appropriate Utilization of Computed Tomography Angiograms for Evaluation of Pulmonary Embolism. Am J Med. 2017 Jun;130(6):652-656. doi:10.1016/j.amjmed.2017.01.019. Epub 2017 Feb 10. PubMed PMID: 28192088.
Johnson PT, Pahwa AK, Feldman LS, Ziegelstein RC, Hellmann DB. Advancing High-Value Health Care: A New AJM Column Dedicated to Cost-Conscious Care Quality Improvement. Am J Med. 2017 Jun;130(6):619-621. doi:10.1016/j.amjmed.2016.12.018. Epub 2017 Jan 14. PubMed PMID: 28093189.
Johnson PT, Badger D, Horton KM, Fishman EK. Mitigating Misdiagnosis in Radiology: Educational CT CME Case Conference for Peer Review and Interpretative Improvement. J Am Coll Radiol. 2016 Oct;13(10):1244-1246. doi:10.1016/j.jacr.2016.05.015. Epub 2016 Jul 27. PubMed PMID: 27474418.
Trakhtenbroit M, Abdollahian D, Horton KM, Johnson PT. Choosing Wisely and Imaging 3.0 Professional Development: Radiology Resident Consultant Service. J Am Coll Radiol. 2016 Jun;13(6):730-2. doi: 10.1016/j.jacr.2016.02.016. Epub 2016 Apr 19. PubMed PMID: 27106487.
Johnson PT, Mahesh M, Fishman EK. Image Wisely and Choosing Wisely: Importance of Adult Body CT Protocol Design for Patient Safety, Exam Quality, and Diagnostic Efficacy. J Am Coll Radiol. 2015 Nov;12(11):1185-90. doi:10.1016/j.jacr.2015.02.021. Epub 2015 Apr 16. Review. PubMed PMID: 25892227.
Activities & Honors
- AOA, Elected in Junior Year, Jefferson Medical College, 1990
- Outstanding Intern Award, Presbyterian Medical Center, Internal Medicine Internship, 1992
- Chief Resident, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Radiology Residency, 1995 - 1996
- Homar Branch Award for outstanding fellow, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Ultrasound/CT/MRI Fellowship, 1997
- Radiology Editors Award for Distinction in reviewing, 1997
- Radiology Editors Award for Distinction in reviewing, 1998
- Radiology Editors Award for Distinction in reviewing, 1999
- Radiology Editors Award for Distinction in reviewing, 2002
- Radiology Editors Award for Distinction in reviewing, 2007
- Most Effective Radiology Educator Award, Aunt Minnie, 2016
- Best Radiologist Training Program, Aunt Minnie, 2015
- Innovations in Clinical Care Award for High Value Care Committee, Johns Hopkins Hospital, 2017
- Excellence in Teamwork in Quality Improvement, Society of Hospital Medicine, 2018
- American College of Radiology, 1997
- American Roentgen Ray Society, 1992
- Association of University Radiologists, 2014
- Radiologic Society of North America, 1992
- Society of Abdominal Radiology, 2014
- Physician Lead, Johns Hopkins Health System High Value Care Committee
Videos & Media
2017 Innovations in Clinical Care Award–Pamela Johnson, M.D., Lenny Feldman, M.D., & Amit Pahwa, M.D
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
Wasting Away: How Health Systems are Advancing the Battle Against Low Value Care. Modern Healthcare. March 10, 2018
Unnecessary Medicine. US News and World Report. November 17, 2017
Creating Leadership Roles for Integrating Value into Academic Medical Programs. Academic Medicine Blog. November 16, 2017
ACR Issues New Choosing Wisely Recommendations. ACR Bulletin. November 2017.
Low Value Care Persists 5 years into Choosing Wisely Campaign. Modern Healthcare. October 24, 2017.
Group Hosts High Value Healthcare Conference. Aunt Minnie. October 23, 2017.
Johns Hopkins Tackles Problem of Unnecessary Scans. Aunt Minnie. June 29, 2017.