Awards and Achievements
I believe we must embrace the future. The next decade in health care will bring unprecedented challenges. These challenges are also opportunities to excel in our three missions—clinical, education and research.Karen Horton, M.D., Director of Radiology
2022-2023 U.S. News & World ReportRanked #1 in the Nation
Ranked #1 in the nation according to U.S. News & World Report's 2023 Best Research-Oriented Medical School rankings.
Awards, Grants and Scholarships
- Qin Qin - Awarded funding through RAD_BRITESTAR Program for “Optimization for Neonatal Brain Perfusion Mapping using Velocity-Selective Arterial Spin Labeling”.
- Martin Pomper - Recognized as “Most Influential Radiology Researcher” in 2022 Minnie awards.
- Shreyas Kuddannaya - Awarded funding through RAD_BRITESTAR Program for “Therapeutic potential of patient-derived, gene-corrected iPSC-NPCs transplanted in a mouse model of ALS”.
- Harrison Bai - Awarded funding through RAD_BRITESTAR Program for research, “Artificial Intelligence in the study of post-acute sequelae of COVID-19 pneumonia”.
- Dian Arifin - Awarded funding through RAD_BRITESTAR Program for research, “Theranostic extracellular vesicles for an image guided-therapy using quantitative 'hot spot' MPI” .
- Shivani Ahlawat - Recognized on Baltimore Magazine’s “2022 Top Doctors List”.
- Farhad Vesuna - Published paper on the use of RK-2, a small molecule inhibitor of DDX3, to decrease SARS-CoV-2 viral load in four strains. The treatment targets a host protein essential for SARS-CoV-2 replication.
- Joanne Trapeni - Received kudos for “empathy” and “tremendous clinical, diagnostic and patient-centered care” from the family of a recent biopsy patient.
- Guanshu Liu - Selected to the Academy Council of Distinguished Investigators Class of 2022, an honor recognizing medical and academic professionals for their contributions to medical imaging
- Rebecca Krimins - Awarded $500 by The Dog Owners’ Training Club of Maryland toward research on hemangiosarcoma in dogs. She is also working with All Children’s Hospital faculty to translate the therapy to pediatric cancer patients.
- Shanshan Jiang - Participated in the Academy for Radiology & Biomedical Imaging Research’s Rally for Medical Research on Capitol Hill, advocating federal support of imaging research.
- Georg Oeltzschner - Received R21 Trailblazer Award from the National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering. The award supports exploration of advanced modeling methods for MR spectroscopy.
- Emily Ambinder- Invited to join the American Board of Radiology’s 2022 DR Core Breast Qualifying Exam Committee to write questions for Core Exam
- Junyu Chen- Grant received from Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging for proposal “Class-incremental Bayesian Segmentation of Organs and Tumors for PSMA Therapy Dosimetry”
- Sachin Gujar- Selected as new Training Program Director for Neuroradiology by the by the Johns Hopkins Graduate Medical Education Committee
- Dengrong Jiang- Selected as a Junior Fellow of the International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine at this year’s annual meeting in London
- Rebecca Krimins- Paper published on “External Radiation Dose to Owners of Canines Treated with (117mSn) Radiosynoviorthesis for Osteoarthritis”
- Donghyeon Lee- Achieved first place, two weeks running, in ongoing American Association of Physicists in Medicine Deep Learning Spectral CT Grand Challenge
- Clifford Weiss- Received a Discovery grant for AI-Based Research with Craig Jones, assistant research professor in the Johns Hopkins Department of Computer Science, from the Department of Defense
- Vivek Yedavalli- Named as a finalists for the Best Consulting Physician Award through the Office of Johns Hopkins Physicians
- Tahir Yusufaly- Grant received from Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging for proposal “Biophysical Techniques for the Refinement of Radiopharmaceutical Imaging and Dosimetry”
- Jinyuan Zhou- Awarded Fellowship of the International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine at this year’s annual meeting in London
- Dr. Shadpour Demehri has been promoted to Professor
- Dr. Michael Schär has been promoted to Associate Professor
- Dr. Doris Lin has been promoted to Professor
- Dr. Michael McMahon has been promoted to Professor
- Dr. Doris Lin has been promoted to promotion to Professor
- Dr. Martin Lodge has been promoted to promotion to Professor
- Dr. Xu Li has been promoted to promotion to Associate Professor
- Dr. Jenny Hoang will assume the role as Interim Chair of Bayview Radiology
- Dr. Shivani Ahlawat has taken the new role of Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Stacey Baldwin will now be serving as the Chief Administrative Officer while maintaining her role as President for Johns Hopkins Medical Imaging, LLC.
- Andrew Menard is serving as Senior Director of Radiology Strategy & Innovation
Baltimore Magazine 2020 Top Doctors: Nafi Aygun, M.D., Pamela Johson, M.D., Laura Fayad, M.D., M.S., Steven Rowe, M.D., Ph.D., Elliot Fishman, M.D., Harjit Singh, M.D., Kelvin Hong, M.b.b.Ch., M.B.B.S., Lilja Solnes, M.B.A., M.D.
Washingtonian Magazine 2020 Top Doctors: Andrew Akman, M.B.A., M.D., Nik Bhagat, M.D., Brian Johnson, M.D., Abhishek Srinivas, M.D.
Hanzhang Lu, Ph.D. is the recipient of The Elias A. Zerhouni, M.D. Professorship. Hanzhang is highly sought, nationally and internationally, as a leader in Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) of brain function and physiology.
Pamela T. Johnson, MD, FACR is the recipient of The Sheldon B. Bearman, M.D. Professorship in Radiology. She has been ranked by the Johns Hopkins radiology residents as the number one educator in the department multiple years, recognized by the international Aunt Minnie organization as the Most Effective Educator in the world in 2017, and awarded the Costs of Care Teaching Value Award in 2018.
- Vicki Migues-Jordan, Johns Hopkins Hospital Radiology IR Clinical Operations Supervisor, as one of the recipients of the 2019 Martin Luther King Jr. Award for Community Service.
- Dr. Jeff Bulte has been awarded 1 of 21 Somatic Cell Genome Editing Grants
- Dr. Jeff Bulte has been named a fellow of the World Molecular Imaging Society.
- Dr. Elliot Fishman has also won the 2019 Minnies for Best Educational Mobile App with his CTisus iPearls iOS app. He is a record holder of 10 Minnie Awards.
Vicki Migues-Jordan awarded the 2019 Martin Luther King Jr. Award for Community Service
- Dr. Zaver M. Bhujwalla was awarded the ISMRM 2019 Gold Medal for contributions using MRI and MRS in advancing our understanding of the aberrant choline metabolism that exists in most cancers and of the role of the tumor microenvironment in cancer metastasis.
- Dr. Mahadevappa Mahesh will lead the department’s “Peer to Peer” junior faculty program
- Dr. Karen Horton is highlighted as one of Johns Hopkins Medicine's Women in Leadership
- Zaver M. Bhujwalla, M.Sc., Ph.D. was named as the second recipient of the William R. Brody Professorship in the Russell H. Morgan Department of Radiology and Radiological Science.
- Radiology’s Quality Improvement Committee was highlighted in the Voices for Safer Care blog. Read the feature.
- David Yousem, M.D., M.B.A. is the recipient of the Radiological Society of North America's (RSNA's) Outstanding Educator award for 2018. Each year, the RSNA Board of Directors selects a recipient who has demonstrated significant contributions and a long-term commitment—15 years or more—to radiologic education.
- Drs. Harvey, Pathak and Pearl recognized for dedication to Johns Hopkins core values. The Living the Hopkins Mission honorees were nominated by their peers as part of the celebration of the 125th anniversary of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.
- Cory Kress, Ashley Pasker, Anna Rhodes and Kelly Walter took first place for their scientific poster at the Georgia Society of Nuclear Medicine meeting in Savannah.
- Wei Zhu received Post-Doctoral Fellowship Grant from Maryland Stem Cell Research Fund
- Kristine Glunde, Vinay Ayyappan, BME undergraduate student in Dr. Kristine Glunde lab, received an Astronaut Scholarship.
- Dan Wu (MPI Jennifer Lee) received an R01 NS107417 (NINDS) “Brain Microstructural MRI in a Piglet Model of Hypoxia-Ischemia”
- Hanzhang Lu received 2 R01 and 1 R21 grants and was invited to chair NIH’s Biomedical Imaging Technology-A (BMIT-A) Study Section
- Doris Lin received 2018 Perovitch Research Award
- Harvey Ziessman was honored as a Fellow of the Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging in recognition of his contributions to the field of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging and to the SNMMI.
- Richard Edden and post doc fellow, Gorg Oeltzschner, got an R21 funded
- Joel Fradin received an award from JHU Ob/ Gyn Department for his "Valuable Contributions to the Education of Gynecologists and Obstetricians”
- Shadpour Demehri - Delaram Shakoor, post-doctoral research fellow in Shadpour Demehri’s lab, won second best award for their abstract: "Three- Dimensional Magnetic Resonance Imaging For Detection Of Knee Meniscal Injuries: A Meta-Analysis of Diagnostic Performance”, which was presented at the International Workshop of Osteoarthritis Imaging (IWOAI) in Menton, France.
- Eric Frey was this year's recipient of the Edward J. Hoffman Memorial Award, which is presented annually by SNMMI's Computer and Instrumentation Council
- Bharath Venkatesh received two awards through the “Older Americans Independence Center” and the “Maryland Innovation Initiative”
- Dr. Michael McMahon has been promoted to Professor
- Dr. Cliff Weiss has been promoted to Professor
- Dr. Ihab Kamel has been named Vice-Chair of MR Operations and MR Innovation
- Dr. Harjit Singh has been named Interim Chair of Radiology at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
- Dr Hye-Young Heo has been promoted to Associate Professor in the Division of MR Research
- Dr. Jay Pillaias been promoted to Professor
- Dr. Pathak been promoted to Professor
- Dr. Jenny Hoang been promoted to Professor
- Dr. Jiadi Xu has been promoted to Associate Professor
- Dr. Javad Azadi Named Section Chief of Ultrasound
- Pamela Johnson Named Vice President of Care Transformation
- Stacey Baldwin is the new President of Johns Hopkins Medical Imaging
- Dr. Ken Taguchi has been appointed Professor
- Dr. Laura Fayad will assume the new role as the Chief of the Division of Musculoskeletal Imaging
- Dr. Richard Edden has been appointed Postdoctoral Program Director
- Dr. Peiying Liu has been appointed Associate Professor
- Dr. Sachin Gujar has been appointed Assistant Director of Neuroradiology
- Dr. Linda Chu has been promoted to Associate Professor
- Dr. Majid Khan has been promoted to Associate Professor
- Dr. Alyin Tekes has been appointed Division Chief of Pediatric Radiology
- Dr. Monica Watkins is the new Director of Neuroradiology
- Dr. Rebecca A. Krimins is the new director of the Express Radiology Research Lab
- Dr. Christos Georgiades has been promoted to Professor of Radiology
- Dr. Pamela Johnson has been promoted to Professor of Radiology and Radiological Science
- Dr. Shiani Ahlawat has been promoted to Associate Professor of Radiology and Radiological Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
- Dr. Haris Sair chosen to be the Chief of the Division of Neuroradiology
Dr. Emily Dunn and Dr. Andrea “Judit” Machnitz
Dr. Franco Verde, Dr. Vivek Yedavalli, and Dr. Omid Khalilzadeh
Dr. Jenny Hoang, Dr. Jennifer Son, and Dr. Jay Pillai