News and Events
Ranked #1 in Gynecology and Obstetrics
The Johns Hopkins Hospital ranks at No. 1 in Newsweek's The World's Best Specialized Hospitals 2024 ranking. Read more about the rankings and view their list on Newsweek's website.
Note: you are being directed to a website outside Johns Hopkins for informational purposes only. Johns Hopkins is not responsible for any aspect of the external website.
Intercepting Ovarian Cancer
Johns Hopkins doctors are teaming up with doctors and researchers from other institutions to investigate a breakthrough in preventing ovarian cancer. A common precursor could be just the start of intercepting cancer in its tracks.
Johns Hopkins Awarded Ovarian Cancer SPORE Grant
The expert research teams at Johns Hopkins Medicine and the University of Pennsylvania — joint recipients of this prestigious Specialized Program of Research Excellence (SPORE) grant — will work collaboratively to utilize recent laboratory research discoveries to develop new methods for early ovarian cancer detection and treatment.
Johns Hopkins Gynecology and Obstetrics Winter 2022 Newsletter
Browse our latest newsletter and learn how we continue to deliver exceptional patient care and advance the field of gynecology and obstetrics through research and innovation.
For several of the following articles, you are being directed to a website outside Johns Hopkins for informational purposes only. Johns Hopkins is not responsible for any aspect of the external website.
- The Cancer-Drug Shortage Is Different, Amanda Nickles Fader, M.D., The Atlantic
- My pregnancy was super easy at the beginning. Then at week 27 I was told my baby was too small and might not survive., Ahmet Alexander Baschat, M.D., M.B., B.CH., B.A.O.,, Insider
- 'Vaginal Seeding' Could Give Health Boost to Babies Born Via C-Section, Ernest Marshall Graham, M.D., Health Day
- The Most Common Menopause Symptoms You Should Know, Wen Shen, M.D., M.P.H., Health Day
- What's Eclampsia And Who Is At Risk?, Ahizechukwu C Eke, M.B.Ch.B., Ph.D., M.P.H., Huffpost
- FDA to Allow Imports of Cancer Drug from China Amid Ongoing Shortage, Amanda Nickles Fader, M.D., CNN
- 'Every Drop of Chemotherapy' Drugs Being Used During National Shortage, Md. Doctor Says, Amanda Nickles Fader, M.D., ABC 7 News
- Jenyne Donaldson Shares Her Experience with Uterine Fibroids to Inspire Women to Get Treatment, Kristin Patzkowsky, M.D., WBAL TV 11
- Having Their Fallopian Tubes Removed Will Spare a Large Number of Women from Ovarian Cancer, Rebecca Lynn Stone, M.D., M.S., Scientific American
- Drug Shortages Near an All-Time High, Leading to Rationing, Amanda Nickles Fader, M.D., New York Times
- FDA Panel Backs Over-the-Counter Sales of Birth Control Pill, Deborah Armstrong, M.D., AP News
- Over-the-Counter Birth Control Pills Backed by FDA Panel, Carolyn Sufrin, M.D., Ph.D., A.M., CBS News
- Advisers to the FDA Back First Over-the-Counter Birth Control Pill, Deborah Armstrong, M.D., NPR
- ‘Caught between a rock and a hard place’: FDA Considers Over-the-Counter Birth Control, Carolyn Sufrin, M.D., Ph.D., A.M., Politico
- A TikToker Says She's Going Through Early Menopause At 27 & Here's What You Should Know, Valerie Baker, M.D., Narcity
- Embryo Donations on the Rise as an Infertility Treatment Option, Katherine Cameron, M.D., Scipps News
- After Daughter's Death, Mom of Quads (Who Are Also Twins) Says 3 Surviving Babies 'Keep Me Strong,' Ahmet Alexander Baschat, M.D., M.B., B.CH., B.A.O., People
- The Prison Experience Elizabeth Holmes is Desperate to Avoid, Carolyn Sufrin, M.D., Ph.D., A.M., BBC News
- Study: Childbirth is Deadlier for Mothers With Sickle Cell Disease, Ahizechukwu C Eke, M.B.Ch.B., Ph.D., M.P.H., Giddy
- New Study Affirms Link Between Sickle Cell Disease and Risk of Increased Mortality in Pregnant People, Ahizechukwu C Eke, M.B.Ch.B., Ph.D., M.P.H., Johns Hopkins News
- Her Baby Has a Deadly Diagnosis. Her Florida Doctors Refused an Abortion., Jena Miller, M.D., The Washington Post
- Women Have Been Misled About Menopause, Wen Shen, M.D., M.P.H., The New York Times
- In the US, Menopause Finally Gets Its Due, Wen Shen, M.D., M.P.H., Yahoo News
- Doctors Should Screen Pregnant People for High Blood Pressure Regularly, Task Force Says, Janice Henderson, M.D., USA Today
- Half the Population Has a Health Issue That's Ignored at Work: Menopause, Wen Shen, M.D., M.P.H., Prevention
- What is Secondary Infertility?, Chantel Cross, M.D., Forbes Health
- How to Talk to Your Kids About Birth Control According to Experts, Silka Patel, M.D., M.P.H., Forbes Health
News Archive by Year
- Johns Hopkins Doctors Team Up Across Departments to Treat Women's Heart Health, Jason Vaught, M.D., WBAL TV11 News
- Women's Health Week, Rebecca Stone, M.D., M.S., ABC 7 News
- Mom Shocked to Learn She's Pregnant with 2 Sets of Identical Twins: 'This Is Going to Be Crazy', Ahmet Alexander Baschat, M.D., M.B., B.CH., B.A.O., People
- The end of Roe is ‘horrific’ for incarcerated people seeking abortion care, Carolyn Sufrin, M.D., Ph.D., A.M., ABC News
- Debra Eluobaju: From Damewood Scholar to Gynecology and Obstetrics Resident, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine
- With Roe overturned, experts fear for incarcerated people and reproductive care, Carolyn Sufrin, M.D., Ph.D., A.M., ABC News
- Conversations With Friends Gets at the Agony and Frustration of Endometriosis, James Segars, M.D., Glamour
- Fact Check - COVID-19 Vaccination Does Not Increase Risk of Miscarriage, Jeanne Sheffield, M.D., Reuters
- Black women less likely to receive higher level antihemorrhagic interventions, Jason Vaught, M.D., Carolyn Guan, M.D. candidate at JHM SOM, Healio
- Q&A: Education key to boosting low rates of COVID-19 vaccination in pregnancy, Jeanne Sheffield, M.D., Healio
- Timely Preservation: At Johns Hopkins’ new Fertility Preservation Innovation Center, patients like Alexandra Piselli are finding hope for a fertile future., James Segars, M.D. and Rebecca Lynn Stone, M.D., M.S., Hopkins Medicine, Ed. Winter 2022
- Johns Hopkins Doctors Team Up Across Departments to Treat Women's Heart Health, Jason Vaught, M.D., Garima Sharma, M.B.B.S., Anum Minhas, M.D., M.H.S., WBAL TV11 News
- Take This Hot Flash and Shove It!, Wen Shen, M.D., M.P.H., New York Times
- The Vaccine Dilemma for Expectant Mothers, Jeanne Sheffield, M.D., National Journal
- Johns Hopkins Winter 2021 Gynecology and Obstetrics Newsletter
- The Best Menstrual Cups of 2021, Cybill Esguerra M.D., Reviewed.
- Pool Cannonballs Are Pretty Much A No-Go During Pregnancy, Cybill Esguerra M.D., Romper.
- A mother, two sick babies and the surgical procedure once ‘in the same realm as magic’ that saved them, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- Hopkins graduate programs among nation's best in 'U.S. News' rankings
- Fetal Balloon Treatment for Lung-Damaging Birth Defect Works Best When Fetal and Maternal Care Are Highly Coordinated, Ahmet Baschat, M.D.
- Health Alert: Cervical Cancer Awareness, Anna Beavis, M.D., Fox45 News.
- Antibiotics may cause yeast infections — here's why and how to prevent it, Anna Powell, M.D., M.S., PopSugar.
- U.S. birth rates have dropped by more than half — here’s why, Chantel Cross, M.D., Yahoo Lifestyle.
- Highmark Health builds on collaboration with Johns Hopkins, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
- Sibley Memorial Hospital welcomes its first baby of the New Year, Fox5 DC News.
- Johns Hopkins Gynecology & Obstetrics 2018 Newsletter
- Modified Pap Tests Can Show Early Warning Signs of Other Gynecological Cancers, Nickolas Papadopoulos Ph.D.
- Post-Partum Depression: A Clinical, Not Legal, Issue, Lauren Osbourne M.D.
- High Risk, High Reward: How These Twins Beat the Odds, Ahmet Baschat and Jena Miller, The Pulse.
- After Public Battle with Cervical Cancer, Nashville Singer Jessi Zazu Dies at 28, Kimberly Levinson, M.D., M.P.H., NPR.
- How a 'Flipped' Ovary Sent Busy Phillips to the Hospital, Karen Wang, M.D., SELF.com
- Local Group Helps Johns Hopkins Patients Battle Gynecologic Cancer
- Is Your Period Pain Normal?, Jenell Coleman M.D., WomensHealth.com
- The Scary Truth About Childbirth, Victoria Handa, M.D., Mother Jones
- Rare Condition Creates Unequal Blood Flow in Triplets, Twins, Ahmet Baschat, M.D., The Baltimore Sun.
- Johns Hopkins Winter 2017 Gynecology Newsletter
- Guiding the Next Generation of Physician-Scientists at Johns Hopkins,Arthur Vaught, M.D.
- Normal Head Size at Birth Doesn’t Rule Out Microcephaly, Zika Syndrome After Birth, Jeanne Sheffield, M.D.
- When Seeking Family Planning Services, Baltimore Women Deserve to Know Which Options Are, and Are Not, On the Table,Carolyn Sufrin, M.D., Ph.D.
- Gynecologic Cancers: Prevention, Detection and Treatment
- Swine Flu Vax and Birth Defects: No Causality,Jeanne Sheffield, M.D.
- What You Need to Know About Getting Tested for Zika, Clark Johnson, M.D.
- Treating Pregnant Women In The Age Of Zika, Rita Driggers, M.D.
- Study Shows How Zika Is Sexually Transmitted, Jeanne Sheffield, M.D.
- Can Zika Virus Damage An Infected Infant's Brain After Birth?,Rita Driggers, M.D.
- Brain Scans of Brazilian Babies Show Array of Zika Effects, Rita Driggers, M.D.
- Planning A Pregnancy? Advice About Zika, Dr. James Segars
- Pregnant Women With Zika Have No Way of Knowing For Sure If Their Baby Will Be Healthy, Clark Johnson, M.D.
- With Little Known About Zika Virus, Hospitals Scramble to Stay Ahead, Jeanne Sheffield, M.D.
- Study Links Zika Virus to Joint Problems in Babies, Irina Burd, M.D., Ph.D.
- Florida Fertility Doctor Describes Struggle of Advising Patients Amid Zika Virus Outbreak, James Segars, M.D.
- Update on the Spread of the Zika Virus in the U.S., Irina Burd, M.D., Ph.D.
- Health Experts Stressing Preparedness as Zika Outbreak Hits U.S., Irina Burd, M.D., Ph.D.
- CDC: Zika Passed from Woman to Man via Sex, Irina Burd, M.D., Ph.D.
- What to Expect a Day, Week and Month After Having a C-Section, Clark Johnson, M.D.
- The Most Important Muscle All Women Forget to Exercise, Grace Chen, M.D.
- Infectious Disease Expert: ‘So Much We Don’t Know’ About Effects of Zika in Pregnancy, Jeanne Sheffield, M.D.
- Zika Infections Last Much Longer During Pregnancy, Monkey Study Shows, Rita Driggers, M.D.
- How Worried Should You Be About Zika, Really?, Jeanne Sheffield, M.D.
- Zika Virus Forces Tough Choices on Couples Seeking Fertility Treatment, James Segars, M.D.
- Ovarian Cancer: HMT Extends Survival, Amanda Nickles Fader, M.D.
- Pregnant Mums Who Catch Flu Could be Putting their Unborn Child at Risk, Irina Burd, M.D., Ph.D.
- Health Alert: Zika Cases Triple in U.S., Rita Driggers, M.D.
- Sen. Cardin Meets with Researchers at Johns Hopkins to Discuss Concerns Over Zika Virus, Jeanne Sheffield, M.D.
- Mothers and Mothers-to-Be Assess the Risk from Zika, Take Precautions, Jeanne Sheffield, M.D.
- Drop in Birth Defects Slowed After Folic Acid Fortification, Irina Burd, M.D., Ph.D.
- Staying Healthy During Pregnancy
- When Zika Hits, a Push for Birth Control and Abortion?, Jeanne Sheffield, M.D.
- D.C. Doctor Talks About Zika Victim's Difficult Decision, Rita Driggers, M.D.
- Health Watch for Below the Belt Cancers, Rebecca Stone, M.D.,
- Zika Fears in the U.S. as Summer Arrives, Rita Driggers, M.D.
- Brain Damage in Zika Babies is Far Worse than Doctors Expected, Jeanne Sheffield, M.D.
- 7 Signs of Ovarian Cancer You Might Be Ignoring, Amanda Nickles Fader, M.D.
- Congresswoman's 'Miracle Baby' Born Without Kidneys Finally Gets One – from Her Dad: 'We Are Blessed', Jessica Bienstock, M.D., M.P.H.
- Why Many U.S. Health Officials Are Calling for Urgent Action Against Zika, Jeanne Sheffield, M.D.
- Ultrasounds Missed Her Zika Infection - Until One Showed Serious Harm to Her Fetus, Rita Driggers, M.D.
- Officials: Zika Cases Possible on Delmarva, Jeanne Sheffield, M.D.
- Morcellation, Cancer and Loss of Women's Choice, Amanda Nickles Fader, M.D.
- Here's What the Experts Know About Zika, Jeanne Sheffield, M.D.
- Researchers Find Link Between Zika, Microcephaly, Jeanne Sheffield, M.D.
- GOP Congressmen Question the Need for $2 Billion to Fight Zika Virus, Jeanne Sheffield, M.D.
- Johns Hopkins Winter 2016 Gynecology Newsletter
- Could Kegels Be Doing You More Harm Than Good?
- A Call for Action: Capacity Building and Women's Health in Sierra Leone, Rachel Chan Seay, M.D.
- Maryland Confirms First Case of Zika Virus, Jeanne Sheffield, M.D.
- The Rare Birth Defect That's Triggering Panic Over the Zika Virus, Explained, Jeanne Sheffield, M.D.
- Study Finds Minority, Poor Women Not Getting Safer Minimally Invasive Hysterectomies, Amanda Nickles Fader, M.D.
- The Johns Hopkins Hospital Designated as Baby-Friendly
- Helping Women and Girls in Prison, Carolyn Sufrin, M.D., Ph.D.
- Johns Hopkins Hospital Hosts Gynecologic Cancer Conference, Rebecca Stone, M.D.
- 13 Ovarian Cancer Warning Signs You Should Never Ignore, Edward Tanner, M.D.
- New HPV Vaccine Can Prevent 80% of Cervical Cancers, Amanda Nickles Fader, M.D.
- Genetic Testing for Breast and Ovarian Cancer Risk and Debate over Preventive Surgery, Amanda Nickles Fader, M.D.