I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Rebecca Lynn Stone, M.D., M.S.
Assistant Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics
Expertise: Cervical Cancer, Cytoreductive Surgery, Fertility Sparing Surgery, Gynecologic Cancers, Gynecologic Oncology, Ovarian Cancer, Robotic and Laparoscopic Surgery, Uterine Cancer, Vulvar Cancer ...read more
Research Interests: Novel therapeutic approaches for ovarian cancer; Understanding the interaction between host factors and cancer outcome; Refining the indications for adjuvant radiotherapy for vulvar cancer ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 410-955-8240
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
The Johns Hopkins Hospital (Main Entrance)
Appointment Phone: 410-955-8240
1800 Orleans St.
Sheikh Zayed Tower
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Dr. Rebecca Stone is an assistant professor in the Johns Hopkins Medicine Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics. Her area of clinical expertise is gynecologic cancers, including cervical, uterine, vulvar and ovarian cancer, as well as gestational trophoblastic disease. Dr. Stone is a highly skilled surgeon with expertise in laparoscopic and robotic surgery for gynecologic tumors. She also serves as director of the Gynecology Enhanced Recovery after Surgery initiative, an innovative, multidisciplinary program that improves recovery and healing time after major abdominal surgery, as well as minimizes health care costs for patients.
Dr. Stone received her undergraduate degree in biology from the University of Virginia. She earned her medical degree from the University of Virginia School of Medicine, where she subsequently completed her residency in obstetrics and gynecology. Dr. Stone performed a four-year gynecologic oncology fellowship at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. She also earned a master’s degree in cancer biology from the University of Texas in 2010.
Prior to joining Johns Hopkins, Dr. Stone was an assistant professor at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, where she was one of five gynecologic oncologists serving the entire state.
Dr. Stone is internationally recognized for her research pertaining to early diagnosis and treatment of ovarian cancer. She is widely published in the field of gynecologic oncology, with first-author papers in the New England Journal of Medicine and Lancet Oncology, as well as over 40 co-authored manuscripts in peer-reviewed medical journals. She was honored with an award for one of the most influential papers published in the field of obstetrics and gynecology in 2012 and with an Ovarian Cancer Research Fund Grant for “Unplugging Ovarian Cancer from the Power of Platelets.”
Dr. Stone strongly believes in a multidisciplinary team approach to gynecologic cancer care. She seeks to provide women with the most advanced and personalized treatment plans while best preserving quality of life. She enjoys working with community providers so that patients are comforted by receiving care close to home.
- Assistant Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics
Centers & Institutes
- MD, University of Virginia School of Medicine (2004)
- University of Virginia Health System / Obstetrics and Gynecology (2008)
- The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center / Gynecologic Oncology (2012)
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology / Gynecologic Oncology (2017)
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology / Obstetrics And Gynecology (2015)
Research & Publications
Shinn EH, Lenihan DJ, Urbauer DL, Basen-Engquist KM, Valentine A, Palmero L, Woods ML, Patel P, Nick AM, Shahzad MM, Stone RL, Golden A, Atkinson E, Lutgendorf SK, Sood AK. Impact of Cardiovascular Comorbidity on Ovarian Cancer Mortality. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 22(11): 2102-9, 2013.
Armaiz-Pena GN, Allen JK, Cruz A, Stone RL, Nick AM, Lin YG, Han LY, Mangala LS, Villares GJ, Vivas-Mejia P, Rodriguez-Aguayo C, Nagaraja AS, Gharpure KM, Wu Z, English RD, Soman KV, Shazhad MM, Zigler M, Deavers MT, Zien A, Soldatos TG, Jackson DB, Wiktorowicz JE, Torres-Lugo M, Young T, De Geest K, Gallick GE, Bar-Eli M, Lopez-Berestein G, Cole SW, Lopez GE, Lutgendorf SK, Sood AK. Src Activation by β-adrenoreceptors is a Key Switch for Tumor Metastasis. Nature Communications. 4:1403, 2013.
Cho MS, Bottsford-Miller J, Vasquez HG, Stone R, Zand B, Kroll MH, Sood AK, Afshar-Kharghan V. Platelets Increase the Proliferation of Ovarian Cancer Cells. Blood. 120(24): 4869-72, 2012.
Lee SJ, Ghosh SC, Han HD, Stone RL, Bottsford-Miller J, Shen de Y, Auzenne EJ, Lopez-Araujo A, Lu C, Nishimura M, Pecot CV, Zand B, Thanapprapasr D, Jennings NB, Kang Y, Huang J, Hu W, Klostergaard J, Sood AK. Metronomic Activity of CD44-Targeted Hyaluronic Acid-Paclitaxel in Ovarian Carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res. 18(15):4114-21, 2012.
Stone RL, Nick AM, McNeish IA, Balkwill F, Han HD, Bottsford-Miller J, Rupaimoole R, Armaiz-Pena GN, Pecot CV, Coward J, Deavers MT, Vasquez HG, Urbauer D, Landen CN, Hu W, Gershenson H, Matsuo K, Shahzad MMK, King ER, Tekedereli I, Ozpolat B, Ahn EH, Bond VK, Wang R, Drew AF, Gushiken F, Collins K, DeGeest K, Lutgendorf SK, Chiu W, Lopez-Berestein G, Afshar-Kharghan V, Sood AK. Paraneoplastic Thrombocytosis in Ovarian Cancer. NEJM. N Engl J Med. 366(7): 610-8, 2012.
Pecot CV, Bischoff FZ, Mayer JA, Wong KL, Pham T, Bottsford-Miller J, Stone RL, Lin YG, Jaladurgam P, Roh JW, Goodman BW, Merritt WM, Pircher TJ, Mikolajczyk SD, Nick AM, Celestino J, Eng C, Ellis LM, Deavers MT, Sood AK. A novel platform for detection of CK+ and CK- CTCs. Cancer Discovery. 1(7): 580-586, 2011.
Nick AM, Stone RL, Armaiz-Pena G, Ozpolat B, Tekedereli I, Graybill WS, Landen CN, Villares G, Vivas-Mejia P, Bottsford-Miller J, Kim HS, Lee JS, Kim SM, Baggerly KA, Ram PT, Deavers MT, Coleman RL, Lopez-Berestein G, Sood AK. Silencing of p130Cas in ovarian carcinioma: A novel mechanism of tumor cell death. J Natl Cancer Inst. 103(21):1596-612, 2011.
Contributing Author. Diallo, A, Chandrasekhara, V. Microbiology Recall. Baltimore, Maryland: Lippincott Wilkins & Williams. 2004.
Activities & Honors
- Award for one of the most influential papers published in 2012 in the field of obstetrics and gynecology, Columbia Hospital for Women Research Foundation
- For scoring > 90th percentile on patient satisfaction in quarterly Press-Ganey surveys, Oct 2012-present, Circle of Excellence Dean’s List
- The Lupe C. Garcia Fellowship in Cancer Research,, 2012
- Diane Denson Tobola Fellowship in Ovarian Cancer Research, 2010 - 2012
- Trainee of the Quarter Award for excellence in education, MD Anderson Cancer Center Trainee & Alumni Affairs, 2011
- Linda K. Manning Fellowship in Ovarian Cancer Research, 2010
- American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists Award for Special Excellence in Endoscopic Procedures, 2008
- Society of Cincinnati Scholar Award, 2004
- C. Richard Bowman Scholar Award, 2004
- Gratton Alexander Litz Award, 2004
- American Medical Women’s Association Glasgow-Rubin Achievement Award, 2004
- 19th Annual Mid-Atlantic Gynecologic Oncology Society Best Scientific Presentation Award, 2004
- 18th Annual Mid-Atlantic Gynecologic Oncology Society Best Scientific Presentation Award, 2003
- National Society of Collegiate Scholars, 1994
- Phi Eta Sigma Honor Society, 1994
- American Association for Cancer Research
- American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG)
- American Medical Association
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
- Arkansas Medical Society
- Felix Rutledge Society Board Member
- Society of Gynecologic Oncologists (SGO)
Videos & Media
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
- New Protocols Protect Patients from Surgical Complications, Johns Hopkins Gynecology & Obstetrics Newsletter (Winter 2018)
- VIDEO: When early-stage vulvar cancer recurs, the prognosis is poor, Oncology Practice (03/2017)
- Johns Hopkins Hospital Hosts Gynecologic Cancer Conference, CBS News (09/2015)
- Advances in Gynecologic Cancer Care and Genetic Testing, Recorded online seminar (09/2015)