I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Victoria Lynn Handa, M.D.
Director, Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics
Expertise: Cystocele, Lower Urinary Tract Reconstruction, Pelvic Floor Disorders, Pelvic Organ Prolapse, Rectocele, Urinary Incontinence, Urogynecology , Uterine Prolapse ...read more
Research Interests: Clinical trials in the management of pelvic floor disorders; Epidemiology of pelvic floor disorders; Quality of life for women with pelvic floor disorders ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Medicine - Green Spring Station
Appointment Phone: 443-997-0400
10755 Falls Road
Lutherville, MD 21093 map
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Appointment Phone: 443-997-0400
301 Mason Lord Drive
Baltimore, MD 21224 map
Dr. Victoria Handa is the director of the Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center. She is also a professor in the Johns Hopkins Medicine Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics and director of the Women’s Center for Pelvic Health and Reconstructive Surgery. She holds a joint appointment in the Department of Epidemiology at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. Her areas of clinical expertise include pelvic floor disorders and female incontinence. Dr. Handa offers surgical and nonsurgical treatments for pelvic organ prolapse, incontinence and related conditions.
Dr. Handa earned her undergraduate degree in civil engineering from Princeton University. She earned her M.D. from the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine and completed her residency in obstetrics and gynecology at the University of California, San Francisco. She completed a fellowship in urogynecology at the University of California, Irvine, and later earned a Master of Health Science in epidemiology from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. Dr. Handa joined the Johns Hopkins faculty in 2001.
Prior to joining Johns Hopkins, Dr. Handa was chief of the Division of Gynecology and director of urogynecology at the University of California, Davis.
Dedicated to scientific research, Dr. Handa has published numerous peer-reviewed research articles and several book chapters on pelvic floor disorders and urogynecology. Her research is supported by several National Institutes of Health grants and has led to many scientific findings and a 2011 award from the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists.
Dr. Handa is a member of several scientific societies, including the American Urogynecologic Society and the International Urogynecology Association. She currently serves on the editorial board of Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery. She is a peer reviewer for numerous medical journals, including the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Neurourology and Urodynamics, and the Journal of Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery. Dr. Handa has been listed in Best Doctors in America since 2005.
- Director, Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
- Director, Women’s Center for Pelvic Health and Reconstructive Surgery
- Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics
Departments / Divisions
- Gynecology and Obstetrics - Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery
Centers & Institutes
- MD, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania - REGISTRAR (1986)
- University of California San Francisco / Obstetrics and Gynecology (1990)
- University of California at Irvine School of Medicine / Obstetrics and Gynecology (1995)
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology / Female Pelvic Med & Reconstructive Surgery (2013)
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology / Obstetrics And Gynecology (1992)
Research & Publications
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
Evers EC, McDermott KC, Blomquist JL, Handa VL. Mode of delivery and subsequent fertility. Hum Reprod. 2014; 29:2569-74.
Handa VL, Pierce CB, Muñoz A, Blomquist JL. Longitudinal changes in overactive bladder and stress incontinence among parous women. Neurourol Urodyn, 2014 Mar 14. doi: 10.1002/nau.22583.
Blomquist JL, McDermott K, Handa VL. Pelvic Pain and mode of delivery. Am J Ob Gyn, 2014; 210:423.e1-6.
Knoepp LR, McDermott KC, Muñoz A, Blomquist JL, Handa VL. Joint hypermobility, obstetrical outcomes, and pelvic floor disorders. Int Urogynecol J. 2013;24:735-40.
Brown K, Handa VL, Macura KJ, DeLeon VB. Three-dimensional shape differences in the bony pelvis of women with Pelvic Floor Disorders. Int Urogynecol J. 2013;24(3):431-9.
Friedman S, Blomquist JL, Nugent JM, McDermott KC, Muñoz A, Handa VL. Pelvic muscle strength after childbirth, Obstet Gynecol, 2012;120(5):1021-8.
Britz SE, McDermott KC, Pierce CB, Blomquist JL, Handa VL. Changes in maternal weight 5-10 years after a first delivery. Womens Health (Lond Engl). 2012 Sep;8(5):513-9.
Evers EC, Blomquist JL, McDermott KC, Handa VL. Obstetrical anal sphincter laceration and anal incontinence 5-10 years after delivery. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2012;207(5):425.e1-6.
Pierce CB, Hallock JL, Blomquist JL, Handa VL. Longitudinal changes in pelvic organ support among parous women. Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2012;18(4):227-32.
Handa VL, Blomquist JL, McDermott KC, Friedman S, Muñoz A. Pelvic floor disorders after childbirth: effect of episiotomy, perineal laceration and operative birth. Obstet Gynecol. 2012;119:233-9
Handa VL, Blomquist JL, Knoepp LR, Hoskey KA, McDermott KC, Muñoz A. Pelvic floor disorders 5-10 years after vaginal or cesarean childbirth. Obstet Gynecol. 2011 Oct;118(4):777-84.
Shippey SH, Chen TL, Chou B, Knoepp LR, Bowen CW, Handa VL. Teaching subcuticular suturing to medical students: video versus expert instructor feedback. J Surg Educ. 2011 Sep-Oct;68(5):397-402.
Sutherland T, Pierce C, Blomquist J. Handa VL. Breastfeeding practices among first-time mothers and across multiple pregnancies. Matern Child Health J. 2012;16:1665-71.
Quiroz LH, Blomquist JL, Macmillan D, McCullough A, Handa VL. Maternal goals for childbirth associated with planned vaginal and planned cesarean birth. Am J Perinatol. 2011 Oct;28(9):695-702.
Blomquist JL, Quiroz LH, Macmillan D, McCullough A, Handa VL. Mothers’ satisfaction with planned vaginal and planned cesarean birth. Am J Perinatol. 2011;28:383-8.
Handa VL, Whitcomb E, Weidner AC, Nygaard I, Brubaker L, Bradley CS, Paraiso MFR, Schaffer J, Zyczynski HM, Zhang M, Richter HE, for the Pelvic Floor Disorders Network. Sexual function before and after non-surgical treatment for stress urinary incontinence. Pelvic Medicine & Reconstructive Surgery, 2011; 17: 30-35.
Grimes CL, Quiroz LH, Gutman RE, Shippey S, Cundiff GW, Handa VL. Long-term Impact of Abdominal Sacral Colpoperineopexy on Symptoms of Obstructed Defecation. Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery. 2010; 16: 234-7.
Selected Book Chapters:
- Tishman VL. Disorders of pelvic support. In: Brown J, Crombleholme W, eds. Handbook of Gynecology and Obstetrics, Appleton and Lange, 1993.
- Handa VL. Physiology and Pathophysiology of Disorders of Pelvic Support. In: Bent A, Cundiff G, Swift S, eds. Ostergard’s Urogynecology and Pelvic Floor Dysfunction, 6th Edition, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2008.
- Handa VL. Mechanisms of Disease. In: Rogers RG, Sung VW, Thakar R, Iglesia CB, eds. Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery: Clinical Practice and Surgical Atlas. McGraw Hill, 2013.
- Handa VL. Stress urinary incontinence. In: Te Linde’s Operative Gynecology, 11th Edition, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA, in press.
- Handa VL. Vaginal vault prolapse. In: Te Linde’s Operative Gynecology, 11th Edition, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA, in press.
Activities & Honors
- Excellence in Teaching and Mentorship, ohns Hopkins University School of Medicine Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 2014 - 2014
- Pitkin Prize, American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, 2011
- Best Epidemiology Paper, American Urogynecologic Society, 2011
- Delta Omega Honor Society, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, 2008
- Trudy Bush Award, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health Department of Epidemiology, 2008
- President’s Award, Society of Gynecologic Surgeons, 2007
- Best Doctors in America, 2005
- Excellence in Teaching and Mentorship, ohns Hopkins University School of Medicine Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 2004
- Distinguished Service Award, University of California, Davis School of Medicine Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 2001
- Richard H. Oi Award for Excellence in Teaching, University of California, Davis, 2000
- CREOG National Faculty Award for Excellence, Council of Resident Education in Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1997
- Kenneth Condit Prize, Princeton University School of Engineering, 1982
- Tau Beta Pi, Princeton University School of Engineering, 1982
- Sigma Xi, Princeton University School of Engineering, 1982
- Phi Betta Kappa, Princeton University, 1982
Videos & Media
#TomorrowsDiscoveries: Pelvic Floor and Women’s Health – Dr. Victoria Handa
Innovation, Education, Collaboration
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
- The Scary Truth About Childbirth, Mother Jones (01/2017)
- Victoria Handa Named Director of Gynecology and Obstetrics at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, Press release (09/2015)
- A Woman's Guide to Better Bladder and Bowel Control, Recorded online seminar (02/2015)
- Vaginal Birth Tied to Pelvic Muscle Weakness, Reuters Health (10/2012)
- Understanding Pelvic Organ Prolapse, Second Opinion (09/2011)