I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Amanda Nickles Fader, M.D.
Director of the Kelly Gynecologic Oncology Service
Associate Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics
Languages: English, Spanish
Expertise: Cervical Cancer, Endometrial Cancer, Gynecologic Cancers, Gynecology, High Risk Endometrial (Uterine) Cancer, Minimally Invasive Surgery, Ovarian Cancer, Robotic Surgery, Uterine Cancer, Vulvar Cancer ...read more
Request an Appointment
I live in Maryland
Request an appointment through My
I live outside of Maryland
I live outside of the United States
Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center
Appointment Phone: 410-955-8240
601 N. Caroline St.
Baltimore, MD 21287 map
Johns Hopkins Medicine - Green Spring Station
Appointment Phone: 410-955-8240
10755 Falls Road
Lutherville, MD 21093 map
Dr. Amanda Nickles Fader is an associate professor in the Johns Hopkins Medicine Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics. She is both the director of the Kelly Gynecologic Oncology Service and the director of the Center for Rare Gynecologic Cancers at The Johns Hopkins Hospital. She also directs the F.J. Montz Fellowship Program in Gynecologic Oncology.
She has extensive training and expertise in radical oncology surgery, advanced laparoscopy and robotics, and is an internationally recognized surgeon who is invited often to teach surgical techniques to others worldwide. She has lectured or performed surgery in more than 20 countries, and she has co-authored more than 100 publications in peer-reviewed medical journals. She is recognized as a leading expert in minimally invasive surgical innovations and rare gynecologic tumors, including high-risk uterine and ovarian cancers. She has a special interest in uterine serous carcinoma, low-grade serous carcinoma of the ovary and uterine sarcomas.
Dr. Fader received her undergraduate degree with highest distinction in music (violin performance) and premedicine from the University of Virginia. She earned her medical degree from the Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine in Richmond, and completed her residency in obstetrics and gynecology at the Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC in Pittsburgh. Dr. Fader then underwent gynecologic oncology fellowship training at Cleveland Clinic.
Dr. Fader serves on the editorial board of several journals, including Gynecologic Oncology and the Journal of Minimally Invasive Gynecology.She was selected to serve on several national committees, including the National Comprehensive Cancer Network’s Endometrial, Cervical and Vulvar Committee, and the Rare Tumor Committee of the NRG/Gynecologic Oncology Group. She also holds several leadership roles, including as the current president of the Mid-Atlantic Gynecologic Oncology Society and the outgoing chair of the Gynecologic Oncology Committee of the American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists. In 2015, she was selected as a national board examiner in gynecologic oncology for the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Her research centers on minimally invasive surgical innovations in gynecologic oncology, immunotherapy and clinical trials, rare uterine and ovarian tumors, and quality and patient safety in gynecologic surgery. She has been the recipient of several research grants and awards for her research, including the Best Paper in Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Oncology Surgery at the American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists’ annual meeting and a National Cancer Institute Cervical SPORE Vaccine Project grant.
Dr. Fader is consistently recognized for clinical excellence on lists such as Baltimore magazine’s Top Docs andCastle Connolly’sTop Doctors,and is a recipient of the Top 10 Docs, Compassionate Doctors and Patient Choice Awards from Vitals.com. She has particular expertise with the surgical and medical management of uterine (endometrial), ovarian, cervical and vulvar cancers, as well as the treatment of women who are at high risk for developing a gynecologic malignancy. She has a special interest in caring for patients throughout the entire spectrum of their lives: from preventive oncology — minimizing key risk factors that can lead to gynecologic cancers — to survivorship initiatives addressing all aspects of recovery, including emotional well-being, sexual health and clinical follow-up.
- Director of the Kelly Gynecologic Oncology Service
- Director, F.J. Montz Fellowship in Gynecologic Oncology
- Associate Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics
- Associate Professor of Oncology
- University of Nevada School of Medicine Reno (2000)
- MD, Virginia Commonwealth University Medical College of Virginia (2002)
- Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC / Obstetrics and Gynecology (2006)
- Cleveland Clinic / Gynecologic Oncology (2009)
Research & Publications
Clinical Trial KeywordsPhase 1 Investigator Initiated Trials, National Cancer Institute, Gynecologic Oncology Group
Selected PublicationsView all on Pubmed
1. Tice DA, Biscardi JK, Nickles AL, Parsons SJ. Mechanism of biological synergy between cellular Src and the epidermal growth factor receptor, Proc Nat Acad of Sci, vol. 96, pp1415-1420, Feb 1999
2. Haskell MD, Nickles AL, Dukes B, Parsons SJ, p190RhoGAP: phosphorylation of tyrosine 1105 by c-Src is necessary, but not sufficient, to regulate actin cytoskeletal dynamics in CH310T1/2 fibroblasts, J Cell Sci. 2001 May;114(Pt 9):1699-708
3. Del Carmen MG, Smith Sehdev AE, Fader AN, Zahurak ML, Richardson M, Fruehauf JP, Montz FJ, Bristow RE, Endometriosis-associated ovarian carcinoma: differential expression of vascular endothelial growth factor and estrogen/ progesterone receptors; Cancer, 2003 Oct 15;98(8):1658-63
4. Fader AN, Mansuria S, Guido RS, Weisenfeld H. A 14-week abdominal pregnancy after total abdominal hysterectomy. Obstet Gynecol. 2007 Feb;109(2 Pt2):519-21.
5. Fader AN, Rose PG. Vaginal Metastases from Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma: A Case Report and Review of the Literature. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2007 Nov;197(5)
6. Axtell AE, Kelley JL, Fader AN, Gupta D, Schwartz B, Gallion HH, Kanbour-Shakir A. Percent surface area involvement is a predictor of lymph node metastasis in endometrial cancer. Gynecol Oncol. 2007 Dec;107(3):482-6
7. Moore KN, Moxley K, Fader AN, Axtell AE, Rocconi R, Abaid L, Cass IA, Rose PG, Leath CA, Rutledge T, Blankenship D, Gold MA. Serous Fallopian Tube Carcinoma: A Retrospective, Multi-institutional Case Control Comparison to Serous Adenocarcinoma of the Ovary, Gynecol Oncol. 2007 Dec;107(3):398-403
8. Fader AN, Rose PG. Role of Surgery in Ovarian Cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2007 Jul 10;25(20):2873-83
9. Fader AN, von Gruenigen VE, Gibbons H, Abushahin F, Starks D, Markman M, Belinson J, Rose PG. Improved tolerance of primary chemotherapy with reduced dose carboplatin and paclitaxel in elderly ovarian cancer patients. Gynecol Oncol, 2008 Apr;109(1):33-8.
10. Fader AN, Edwards RP, Kanbour A, Cost ML, Kelley J, Comerci J, Sukumvanich P, Schwartz B, Cencia Rohan L. Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy in Early-Stage Cervical Cancer: Utility of Intraoperative versus Postoperative Assessment. Gynecol Oncol, Oct 2008;111(1):13-17
11. Fader AN, Nagel C, OMalley, DM, Rose PG, Gibbons HE, Huh WK, Havrilesky LJ, Moore KN, Kelley JL, Gehrig P, Tuller E, Axtell AE, Alvarez Secord A, Nagel C, Zanotti KM. Stage II Uterine Papillary Serous Carcinoma: Carboplatin/ Paclitaxel Therapy Improves Recurrence and Survival Outcomes. Gynecol Oncol, March 2009:112(3):558-62.
12. Fader AN, Drake RD, OMalley, DM, Rose PG, Gibbons HE, Huh WK, Havrilesky LJ, Moore, KN, Kelley JL, Gehrig P, Tuller E, Axtell AE, Alvarez Secord A, Nagel C, Zanotti KM, Platinum/taxane-based chemotherapy with or without radiation therapy favorably impact survival outcomes in stage I uterine papillary serous carcinoma. In press, Cancer, May 15;115(10):2119-27.
13. Fader AN, Michener CM, Frasure HE, Giannios N, Belinson JL, Zanotti KM Total laparoscopic hysterectomy versus laparoscopic-assisted vaginal hysterectomy in endometrial cancer: surgical and survival outcomes. J Min Inv Gynecol. 2009 May-Jun;16(3):333-9.
14. Fader AN, Starks D, Gehrig PA, Secord AA, Frasure HE, O'Malley DM, Tuller ER, Rose PG, Havrilesky LJ, Moore KN, Huh WK, Axtell AE, Kelley JL, Zanotti KM; UPSC Consortium. An updated clinicopathologic study of early-stage uterine papillary serous carcinoma (UPSC). Gynecol Oncol. 2009 Nov;115(2):244-8.
15. Escobar PF, Fader AN, Paraiso MF, Kaouk JH, Falcone T. Robotic-assisted laparoendoscopic single-site surgery in gynecology: initial report and technique. J Minim Invasive Gynecol. 2009 Sep-Oct;16(5):589-91.
16. Fader AN, Escobar PF. Laparoendoscopic single-site surgery (LESS) in gynecologic oncology: technique and initial report. Gynecol Oncol. 2009 Aug;114(2):157-61.*Chosen as lead article with accompanying editorial by Pedro Ramirez, MD.
17. Fader AN, Rose PG. Abraxane for the treatment of gynecologic cancer patients with severe hypersensitivity reactions to paclitaxel. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2009 Oct;19(7):1281-3.
18. Escobar PF, Bedaiwy M, Fader AN, Falcone T. Laparoendoscopic Single-Site (LESS) Surgery in Patients with Benign Adnexal Disease. Fertil and Steril. 2010 Apr;93(6):2074.e7-10.
19. Fader AN, Boruta D, Olawaiye AB, Gehrig PA. Uterine papillary serous carcinoma: epidemiology, pathogenesis and management. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2010 Feb;22(1):21-9.
20. Rasool N, Fader AN, Seamon L, Neubauer NL, Shahin FA, Alexander HA, Moore K, Moxley K, Secord AA, Kunos C, Rose PG, O'Malley DM. Stage I, grade 3 endometrioid adenocarcinoma of the endometrium: an analysis of clinical outcomes and patterns of recurrence. Gynecol Oncol. 2010 Jan;116(1):10-14.
21. Escobar PF, Starks DC, Fader AN, Barber M, Rojas-Espalliat L. Single-port risk-reducing salpingo-oophorectomy with and without hysterectomy: Surgical outcomes and learning curve analysis. Gynecol Oncol. 2010 Oct;119(1):43-7.
22. Herzog TJ, Krivak TC, Fader AN, Coleman RL. Chemosensitivity testing with ChemoFx and Overall Survival in Primary Ovarian Cancer. Am J Obstet and Gynecol. 2010 Jul;203(1):68.e1-6.
23. Nieves Arriba L, Fader AN, Frasure H, von Gruenigen VE. Quality of Life in Women with Ovarian Cancer. Gynecol Oncol. Nov 2010;119(2):390-6.
24. Fader AN, Rojas-Espaillat L, Ibeanu O, Grumbine FC, Escobar PF. Laparoendoscopic Single Site Surgery in Gynecology: A Multi-Institutional Evaluation. Am J Obstet Gynecol. Nov 2009;203(5):501.e1-6.
25. Fader AN, Lesnock JL, Guido RS, Gold MA, Moore, KN. Cervical Dysplasia in Pregnancy: A Multi-Institutional Evaluation. Am J Obstet and Gynecol. 2010 Aug;203(2):113.e1-6.
26. Fader AN, Cohen S, Escobar PF, Gunderson C. Laparoendoscopic single-site surgery in gynecology. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2010 Aug;22(4):331-8
27. Escobar PF, Fader AN, Rasool N. Laparoendoscopic Single-Site Surgery (LESS) Pelvic and Para-aortic Lymphadnectomy: A Technique and Feasiblity Paper. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2010 Oct;20(7):1268-73
28. Fader AN, Cohen S, Escobar PF, Gunderson C. Laparoendoscopic single-site surgery in gynecology. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2010 Aug;22(4):331-8
29. Fader AN, Rasool N, Vaziri SA, Kozuki T, Faber PW, Elson P, Biscotti CV, Michener CM, Rose PG, Rojas-Espaillat L, Belinson JL, Ganapathi MK, Ganapathi R CCL2 Expression in Ovarian Carcinoma is Associated with Chemosensitivity and Improved Survival Outcomes. Anticancer Res. 2010 Dec;30(12):4791-8
30. Skaznik-Wikiel M, Ueda S, Rose PG, Fleury A, Grumbine F, Fader AN. Cervical cytology in the preoperative diagnosis of uterine papillary serous carcinoma: earlier detection of a poor prognostic cancer? Acta Cytol. April;2011;55(3):255-60
31. Ibeanu O, Modesitt S, Ducie J, von Gruenigen VE, Fader AN. Hormonal Therapy in Gynecologic Cancer Survivors: Why Not? Gynecol Oncol, 2011 Aug;122(2):447-54
32. Fader AN, Frasure HE, von Gruenigen VE. Quality of Life in Endometrial Cancer: What Does Obesity Have to Do With It? Obstet Gynecol Int. 2011;308609. Epub 2011 Oct 29.
33. Moxley KM, Fader AN, Rose PG, Case A, Mutch D, Berry E, Lurain J, Schink J, Moore KN, Malignant Melanoma of the Vulva: An Extension of Cutaneous Melanoma, Gynecol Oncol. Sept 2011;122(3):612-7.
34. Gunderson CC, Ritter C, Bedaiwy M, Hurd W, Grumbine FC, Fader AN. The risk of umbilical hernia and other complications with laparoendoscopic single-site surgery (LESS). J Min Inv Gynecol, 2012 Jan;19(1):40-5.
35. Dizon D, Blessing JA, Penson RT, Drake RD, Walker JL, Fader AN. A phase II evaluation of belinostat and carboplatin in the treatment of recurrent or persistent platinum-resistant ovarian, fallopian tube, or primary peritoneal carcinoma: A Gynecologic Oncology Group Study. Gynecol Oncol. 2012 May;125(2):367-71.
36. Escobar PF, Frumovitz M, Soliman PT, Frasure HE, Fader AN, Schmeler KM, Ramirez PT. Comparison of Single-Port Laparoscopy, Standard Laparoscopy, and Robotic Surgery in Patients with Endometrial Cancer. Ann Surg Oncol. 2012 May;19(5):1583-8.
37. Gunderson CC, Fader AN, Carson KT, Bristow RE. Conservative management of complex atypical hyperplasia and grade 1 endometrial adenocarcinoma: A contemporary systematic review. Gynecol Onco., 2012 May;125(2):477-82.
38. Fader AN, Seamon LG, Frasure HE, Escobar PF, Secord AA, Cohn D, Fowler J, Boggess J, Rossi E, Havrilesky L, Gehrig PA. Minimally Invasive Surgery versus Laparotomy in Women with High Grade Endometrial Cancer: A Multi-Site Study Performed at High Volume Cancer Centers. Gynecol Oncol. 2012 Aug;126(2):180-5
39. Coleman R, Deavers M, Drescher, C, Fader AN, Gershenson D, Sood A. A Phase II Evaluation of Aflibercept in the Treatment of Recurrent or Advanced Endometrial Cancer: A Gynecologic Oncology Group Study. Gynecol Oncol, 2012 Aug 23. [Epub ahead of print].
40. Cantrell LA, Havrilesky L, Moore DT, OMalley DM, Liotta M, Secord AA, Fader AN, Cohn DM, Wallace A, Rose PG, Gehrig PA Comparative effectiveness of adjuvant therapy in early stage uterine carcinosarcoma. Gynecol Oncol. 2012 Oct;127(1):22-6
41. Fader AN, Winder A, Sandadi S, DeBernardo R. Sweets Syndrome: A Harbinger of Ovarian Carcinoma. J Gynecol Oncol, 2012 Oct;23(4):288-90
42. Tergas AI, Green I, S. Sheth, Giuntoli RL, Winder A, Fader AN. A Pilot Study of Surgical Training Utilizing a Virtual Reality Robotic Surgery Simulator. J Soc Laparoendoscopic Surg. In press, Feb 2013
43. Scheib S, Simpson K, Grumbine F, Fader AN. Laparoendoscopic Single-Site Surgery (LESS) in Pregnancy: A Case Series. In press, J Min Inv Gynecol, in press, Feb 2013
44. Jernigan AM, Tergas AI, Satin A, Fader AN. Obesity Management in Gynecologic Cancer Survivors: Provider Practices and Attitudes. In press, Am J Obstet Gynecol, Feb 6 2013, Epub: *Editors choice featured article with accompanying editorial by Paola Gehrig, MD
45. Tergas AI, Fader AN. Laparoendoscopic Single-Site Surgery (LESS) Radical Hysterectomy for the Treatment of Early Stage Cervical Cancer. Gynecol Oncol, Epub Dec 20, 2012
46. Sheth S, Fader AN, Tergas AI, Kushnir C, Green I. Virtual Reality Robotic Surgical Simulation: An Analysis of Gynecology Trainees. J Surg Educ, In press March 2013
Activities & Honors
- Best Paper in Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Oncology, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopy (AAGL) Annual Meeting, 2010
- 1st prize, Cleveland Ob/Gyn Society Research Symposium, 2008
- Johns Hopkins Teaching and Mentorship Award, Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics, 2012
- Research Fund Young Investigator Award, Gynecologic Oncology Group/Ovarian Cancer, 2008 - 2009
- Young Doctors Summit Representative, International Gynecologic Cancer Society (IGCS), 2012 - 2013
- CREOG National Teacher of the Year Award, Johns Hopkins Gynecology/Obstetrics Program, 2011
- Association of Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics (APGO) National Excellence in Teaching Award, Johns Hopkins Hospital
- GlaxoSmithKline $1800 Grant, SGO Winter Meeting; (invited for oral research presentation), 2008
- Golden Apple Teaching Award, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 2002 - 2006
- AACR/ASCO Clinical Trials Workshop Grant, Vail, 2008
- Appointed member, Society of Gynecologic Oncology (SGO) Council, 2012 - 2013
- Outstanding 2nd Year Resident Teaching Award, 2003 - 2004
- Teacher of the Year Award, Greater Baltimore Medical Center OB/GYN, 2010
- Humanism in Medicine and Teaching Award, The Arnold P. Gold Foundation, 2002 - 2005
- Berlex Pharmaceuticals Award for Outstanding Ob/Gyn Resident Teacher, 2004
- Medical Honor Society, Alpha Omega Alpha, 2002
Videos & Media
Awareness of Genetics, Ovarian Cancer Link Could Be a Lifesaver
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
- New Protocols Protect Patients from Surgical Complications, Johns Hopkins Gynecology & Obstetrics Newsletter (Winter 2018)
- Ovarian Cancer: HMT Extends Survival, MedPage Today (06/2016)
- 7 Signs of Ovarian Cancer You May Be Ignoring, Reader's Digest (04/2016)
- Morcellation, Cancer and Loss of Women's Choice, Medscape (03/2016)
- Study Finds Minority, Poor Women Not Getting Safer Minimally Invasive Hysterectomies, The Baltimore Sun (01/2016)
- New HPV Vaccine Can Prevent 80% of Cervical Cancers, Yahoo Health (05/2015)
- Genetic Testing for Breast and Ovarian Cancer Risk and Debate over Preventive Surgery, The Diane Rehm Show (03/2015)
- Awareness of Genetics, Ovarian Cancer Link Could Be a Lifesaver, WBAL-TV 11 (07/2013)
- More Women Removing Ovaries to Prevent Cancer, The Baltimore Sun (06/2013)
- Losing Weight and Lowering Risk: What You Need to Know about Women's Cancer and Nutrition, Recorded online seminar (12/2014)
- Obesity and the Risk for Women's Cancers, Recorded online seminar (10/2013)