If your child has a blood disorder, getting the right treatment is essential. Learn how our experts treat sickle cell disease, hemophilia and thrombosis.
Children with blood disorders such as sickle cell disease, hemophilia and pediatric thrombosis often need ongoing care. They also need experts who know how to safely and effectively manage their complex medical needs.
At Johns Hopkins All Children’s Cancer & Blood Disorders Institute in St. Petersburg, Florida, our doctors specialize in treating all types of noncancerous blood and bone marrow disorders.
Managing a lifelong disease is difficult for anyone. For a child, the demands of ongoing care can be confusing and overwhelming.
Our compassionate team understands these challenges. We’re here to help support your child and your family in every way possible. Our goal is to keep your child healthy — physically and mentally.
Why Choose Us for Benign Hematology Treatment?
We know that children with blood disorders often face a long road and frequent trips to the doctor. At our Cancer & Blood Disorders Institute we address your child’s medical and emotional needs.
When your child comes to us for blood disorder management and treatment, you can expect:
- Expert team: Blood disorders are complex and can require care from multiple specialists. Each of our benign hematology programs has its own team of doctors and care providers. In addition to pediatric hematologists, your child’s care team may include cardiologists, orthopaedists, neurologists, pharmacists, nutritionists and pain management experts. Together, they create the most effective plan to help manage your child’s condition.
- Innovative treatments: Our goals are to manage your child’s blood disorder and prevent medical complications that can accompany it. We offer advanced treatment options for infants, children, teens and young adults with all types of blood disorders.
- Access to clinical trials: We’re a member of Johns Hopkins Medicine, which is based in Baltimore. This allows our patients access to their research studies and trials — without leaving Florida.
- Supportive care: Managing your child’s medical needs is just the beginning. We also help your child and your family cope with the challenges of ongoing treatment. Our Child Life specialists work with all our blood disorder patients. They help educate and reassure children dealing with a new diagnosis or treatment.
Benign Hematology: Conditions We Treat
We provide comprehensive care for all types of noncancerous blood and bone marrow disorders. Our Benign Hematology Program includes three specialty programs:
- Sickle Cell Disease Program: We are one of the largest pediatric sickle cell treatment programs on Florida’s west coast. Our experts provide advanced treatments, including bone marrow transplants, for infants, children and young adults. Learn more about our Sickle Cell Disease Program.
- Hemophilia Treatment Center: Children with hemophilia and other bleeding disorders need expert care from a variety of specialists. At our center, we help children manage their condition and improve their quality of life. Learn more about our Hemophilia Treatment Center.
- Pediatric Thrombosis Program: Our pediatric thrombosis experts are nationally recognized. They specialize in treating children with blood clotting disorders. Our doctors offer innovative, lifesaving treatments for blood clots. We also screen and monitor children at high risk for developing thrombosis conditions. Learn more about our Pediatric Thrombosis Program.
Benign Hematology Program Contact Us
For more information or to make an appointment, please give us a call at the phone number below. We serve families in the Tampa Bay area and beyond.