Adolescent & Young Adult Oncology Program
Adolescents and young adults with cancer face unique medical and emotional challenges. Our program is a regional leader in caring for this age group. We are recognized as a Top 50 Children's Cancer Program by U.S. News & World Report for 2023-2024.
Teens and young adults with cancer straddle two worlds. They need both their medical and their emotional needs met. For the most appropriate treatment, they need care from doctors who specialize in treating this age group.
At Johns Hopkins All Children’s Cancer & Blood Disorders Institute in St. Petersburg, Florida, we provide the most comprehensive adolescent and young adult (AYA) cancer care on Florida’s west coast. Our AYA cancer specialists are experts at treating 15- to 21-year-olds with all types of cancer.
Thanks to advances in care, we’re able to effectively treat cancer in teens and young adults. But we don’t stop there. Our team understands the complex social, emotional and physical needs of teens and young adults. We’re here to help teens and young adults navigate the challenges of cancer treatment and beyond.
Why Choose Us for Adolescent & Young Adult Cancer Treatment?
We know that teens and young adults with cancer are unique not just because of their age. They often respond better to cancer treatments developed for younger children. But they also have complex, adult medical and emotional needs that many pediatric programs can’t address.
To receive the best care, it’s important to seek out a program dedicated to teens and young adults. At our AYA oncology program, you can expect:
- Expert team: As one of Florida’s largest pediatric cancer programs, we have oncologists who are experts in all types of cancers. The doctors in our AYA cancer program specialize in caring for teens and young adults. We understand how cancer affects this population, and we have the expertise to effectively treat it.
- Innovative treatments: There are no one-size-fits-all solutions to treating teens and young adults with cancer. Many AYA cancer patients respond best to treatments used for children. But they also have unique emotional and social needs specific to their age. Our specialists tailor a treatment plan to fit each patient’s needs.
- Access to clinical trials: We’re a member of Johns Hopkins Medicine, which is based in Baltimore. This relationship gives our patients access to their research studies and trials — without leaving Florida. We also work with the Children’s Oncology Group on cutting-edge research to improve patient outcomes.
- Collaboration with Moffitt Cancer Center: Our older AYA patients sometimes age out of our care while still needing follow-up treatment. We partner with the Moffitt Cancer Center to seamlessly transition care for our young adult patients.
Supportive Services We Offer
The goal of our AYA cancer program is to help patients cope with the challenges of moving from childhood to adulthood while also dealing with cancer. We understand how difficult this can be.
Our program takes a comprehensive approach to improving quality of life for teens and young adults with cancer. We provide the support you need, including:
- Fertility counseling: Cancer treatment can affect the ability to have children later in life. Our AYA team counsels teen and young adult patients about potential fertility problems. We make sure you understand the options for preserving your fertility before starting cancer treatment. Fertility preservation can be expensive, and it’s not typically covered by insurance. Our program has set aside funds to help patients cover the cost.
- Academic support: Our team of dedicated teachers provides tutoring to help patients keep up with schoolwork during treatment. Teachers are available to work with patients in both our inpatient and outpatient oncology programs.
- Coping skills: Our patient navigator, social worker and psychologist specialize in helping teens and young adults cope with cancer. They help you manage the social and emotional challenges of being both a teenager and a cancer patient.
- Peer support: Although it may sometimes feel like you are alone, you’re not. We help connect you to other teens and young adults dealing with similar diagnoses.
Adolescent & Young Adult Oncology Program Contact Us
For more information or to make an appointment, please give us a call at the phone number below. We serve families in the Tampa Bay area and beyond.