- Interim Dean of the Medical Faculty and CEO, Johns Hopkins Medicine
- The Sidney Kimmel Professor of Radiation Oncology and Molecular Radiation Sciences
- Vice President for Interdisciplinary Patient Care, Johns Hopkins Medicine
- Radiation Oncologist -in-Chief
- Professor of Radiation Oncology and Molecular Radiation Sciences
- Professor of Oncology
- Professor of Urology
- Sarah Miller Coulson and Frank L. Coulson, Jr. Professor of Medicine
- Vice Dean for Education, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Mary Wallace Stanton Professor of Education
- Professor of Medicine
On September 22nd, 2009, Dr. Edward Miller, then Dean of the Medical Faculty and CEO of Johns Hopkins Medicine and Dr. David G. Nichols, then Vice Dean for Education announced the creation of the School of Medicine’s Institute for Excellence in Education (IEE), naming Associate Professor of Medicine Joseph Cofrancesco Jr., M.D., M.P.H., F.A.C.P., as its inaugural director.
Dr. Cofrancesco, whom the Deans acknowledged as “one of our most respected educators and clinicians at Hopkins,” directs the IEE toward fulfilling its charge to “lead the way by developing methods to measure and critically evaluate teaching and educational programs, set standards, inspire and support new educational techniques, methods and technologies, encourage educational scholarship, and give value to and reward the teaching done by all faculty.”
On July 10, 2014, Dr. Cofrancesco was named the inaugural Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine Institute for Excellence in Education Professor of Medicine.
- Director, Johns Hopkins Institute for Excellence in Education
- Director, GIM Clinician-Educator Mentoring and Scholarship Program
- Associate Professor, Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing, Department of Acute and Chronic Care
- Professor of Medicine
Members of the Board
- Kenneth Ludmerer, M.D.
- Majd Marrache, M.D.
- Mattea Miller
- Zinia Mohanta, Ph.D.
- Margaret Moon, M.D.
- Maria M Oliva-Hemker, M.D.
- Kristin Janson Redmond, M.D.
- Eileen P. G. Vining, M.D.
- Rodney Eric Williams
Upcoming Board of Directors Meetings
Thursday, April 6, 2023
12:30 to 2 p.m.
Thursday, October 5, 2023
12:30 to 2 p.m.
Director, Johns Hopkins Institute for Excellence in Education
Director, GIM Clinician-Educator Mentoring and Scholarship Program
Associate Professor, Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing, Department of Acute and Chronic Care Professor of Medicine
Upcoming Managing Board Meetings
Unless otherwise noted, all meeting will be held in person from 8 a.m. to 9:50 a.m.
- January 25, 2023 - via Zoom
- February 22
- March 22
- April 26
- May 24
- June 28
- July 26
- August 23
- September 27
- October 25
- November 15
- December 20
Our IEE Ambassadors are vital to the continued success and growth of the Institute. Broadly, the role of an ambassador is to ensure that SOM faculty are aware of and have opportunity to participate in the IEE’s programs.
More specifically, an ambassador:
- Keeps abreast of the IEE programs
- Shares information and champions the IEE’s programs with his/her division director, divisional leadership and educator faculty, to ensure they have the opportunity to be recognized and participate
- Gathers suggestions from the educator faculty to help guide the IEE’s programs
- Is a school-wide advocate for the educator, teaching, and education scholarship
- Helps the IEE foster a community of educators
We extend our deepest thanks to the following faculty who currently serve as IEE Ambassadors. If you have questions about the IEE or would like to be more involved in our community of educators, please contact any of the following ambassadors or any member of our Managing Board.
Basic Sciences at Large
Anesthesia and Critical Care Medicine
Gynecology & Obstetrics
Medicine - Broadway Campus
Medicine - Bayview
Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery
- Marquita Cecelia Genies, M.D., M.P.H.
- William Christopher Golden, M.D.
- Barry Scott Solomon, M.D., M.P.H.
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
Radiation Oncology and Molecular Radiation Sciences