2010 Faculty Needs Assessment Survey Report
The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine established the Institute for Excellence in Education (IEE) in October 2009 to promote, value, and advance the education mission of the School of Medicine. To help the IEE understand our faculty member's needs and prioritize resources, an electronic needs assessment survey was sent to all faculty in May 2010. Nearly one quarter of faculty responded. The results of the needs assessment are being used by the IEE and the SOM expand and build programs most relevant to faculty.
In general, our faculty members are wonderful teachers who are committed to excellence in teaching. Approximately 50% of our faculty wanted to spend more time in teaching and educational ventures. They are interested in learning more about becoming even better teachers and conducting quality educational research. Time and finances, not surprisingly, were identified as barriers to teaching more, and spending more time on improving their skills.
Access to the full details of the needs assessment is restricted to the JHUSOM Community and users must log in with a JHED ID. These pages provide aggregated results of the needs assessment survey. As promised, the IEE does not identify (or know) individual faculty responders. Listed below is the type of information that was collected. Log in with your JHED ID to view the results.
Demographics of Respondents
- Response Rate by Rank and Employment Status
- Response Rate by Gender
- Response Rate by Department Type
- Number and Proportion of Respondents by Primarily Office Location
- Number and Proportion of Respondents by Highest Degree Earned
- Second Degree for Respondents with a M.D., Ph.D. or M.D./Ph.D.
- Percent of Time Respondents CURRENTLY Spend in each Work Area
- Percent of Time Respondents CURRENTLY Spend in Education by Demographic Variables
- Proportion of Respondents who would like to Spend MORE, LESS or the SAME Time in Education
- Proportion of Respondents who would like to Spend MORE Time in Education by Demographic Variables and their Current Percent of Time in Education
- Rank Order of 5 Needs Assessment Areas
- Number of Respondents who were Very Interested or Extremely Interested in Surveyed Topics of each Needs Assessment Area
- Top Eight Topics by Rank
- Level of Knowledge in Educational Modalities and their Applications
- Level of Knowledge in Educational Modalities and their Applications by Rank
- Level of Knowledge in Educational Modalities and their Applications by Gender
Presentation Formats and Time
- Proportion of Respondents who want to Spend One Hour, Half Day, Full Day or >Full Day for Each Topic
- Proportion of Respondents by Method of Delivery
- Proportion of Respondents by Frequency of Delivery Formats Chosen
- Other Formats Listed
- Proportion of Respondents by Preferred Location for Development Courses
- Other Locations Listed
Frequency of open‐text responses (Total of 55 comments mentioning the following topics for Question 22 ‐ Do you have any additional comments?)