The Center's Goals
The Center’s long-range goals include catalyzing efforts to improve diagnostic performance by:
- raising awareness, engaging partners, prioritizing problems, implementing solutions, and measuring the impact of new diagnostic strategies;
- developing the science of diagnostic safety by creating novel methods, metrics, and tools to improve diagnosis;
- and enhancing diagnostic research by building training capacity, organizing collaborative networks, and influencing funding policy.
About the Center
Johns Hopkins Medicine, the Armstrong Institute for Patient Safety and Quality, and its Center for Diagnostic Excellence are uniquely positioned to solve this global challenge and lead change by providing the safest, most accurate, highest-value diagnostic care in the world.
Johns Hopkins is already a world leader in patient safety and medical research. The Armstrong Institute has advanced the science of patient safety, conducting numerous cutting-edge research and implementation studies that have impacted patients, providers and policy. The Center for Diagnostic Excellence will harness these tools to create groundbreaking approaches to tackle diagnostic error and move the needle on misdiagnosis-related harms.
The Armstrong Institute Center for Diagnostic Excellence was created by a $5 million gift from C. Michael Armstrong, former chairman of the board of trustees of Johns Hopkins Medicine and retired chairman of Comcast, AT&T, Hughes Electronics and IBM World Trade Corporation. Armstrong also generously funded the Armstrong Institute in 2011.
About Our Team
Our core team has diverse clinical backgrounds combined with specialized expertise in diagnostic research methods, systems engineering, cognitive psychology, implementation science, patient-centered communication, education, informatics, biostatistics and health economics. Together, our teams will mesh diverse ideas and align them to combat diagnostic errors worldwide.
Oversight, project management, organization, scheduling
- David Newman-Toker, M.D. Ph.D., Center Director
- Vanessa Llewellyn, Program Manager
- Mehdi Fanai, M.D., Informatics Specialist
- Ayodele McClenney, J.D., Director Strategic Partnerships
Developing new methods, grants and research, resource for methods expertise to others psychology, evaluation and implementation science, decision support (theory), evidence synthesis
Operational measurement (reports, graphical displays), decision support, modeling
Teamwork, education and training, culture/adaptive change, operations improvement
- Brian Garibaldi, M.D.
- Judy Greengold, M.S.N., C.R.N.P., F.N.P.-C.
- Susrutha Kotwal, M.D.
- Rodney Omron, M.D., M.P.H.
Data Science Core
- Zheyu Wang, M.S., Ph.D.
- Daisy Zhu, Ph.D.
- Krisztian Sebestyen