I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Susrutha Kotwal, M.D.
HOME Team Director, Division of Hospital Medicine
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Languages: English, Hindi, Nepalese
Expertise: Internal Medicine, Medical Education
Research Interests: Medical Education; Clinical Reasoning; Clinical Excellence and Patient Safety
Susrutha Kotwal, MD, is an Assistant Professor at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. He completed his Doctorate of Medicine in 2006 from the University of Rajasthan in India. Dr. Kotwal was trained in Family Medicine at Guthrie/Robert Packer Hospital in Sayre, Pennsylvania. Following residency, he joined the Division of Hospital Medicine in July 2012 and completed a Hospital Medicine Fellowship in 2014. Dr. Kotwal serves as the HOME (Hospitalist Oriented Medical Education) Team Director for the Division of Hospital Medicine.
Dr. Kotwal’s research interests and expertise are in Medical Education, Patient Safety, and Clinical Excellence. Dr. Kotwal co¬-developed a Diagnostic Reasoning Curriculum for Internal Medicine Residents at Johns Hopkins Bayview which he now directs. Dr. Kotwal has been awarded the Scott Wright Research Award in Hospital Medicine and the Hospitalist Teaching Award by the Department of Medicine at Johns Hopkins. Nationally and regionally, Dr. Kotwal has presented his research work on Clinical Excellence at the Society of Hospital Medicine’s conferences. He has a wealth of knowledge in curriculum development and medical education. Dr. Kotwal is a Fellow of the Society of Hospital Medicine.
- HOME Team Director, Division of Hospital Medicine
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
- MBBS, Jawaharla Nehru Medical College (2005)
- Robert Packer Hospital / Family Medicine (2012)
- Academic Hospital Medicine Fellowship, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD/Hospital Medicine (2014)
Research & Publications
Torok H, Ghazarian SR, Kotwal S, Landis R, Wright S, Howell E. Development and validation of the tool to assess inpatient satisfaction with care from hospitalists. J Hosp Med. 2014 Sep;9(9):553-8
Kotwal S, Torok H, Khaliq W, Landis R, Howell E, Wright S. Comportment and Communication Patterns among Hospitalist Physicians: Insight gleaned through observation. South Med J. 2015 Aug;108(8):496-501
Torok H, Kotwal S, Landis R, Ozumba U, Howell E, Wright S. Providing Feedback on Clinical Performance to Hospitalists: Experience using a new metric, Tool to Assess Inpatient Satisfaction with Care from Hospitalists. J of Contin Educ Health Prof. 2016 Winter;36(1):61-8
Kotwal S, Khaliq W, Landis R, Wright S. Developing a comportment and communication tool for use in hospital medicine. J Hosp Med. 2016. Aug 13. doi: 10.1002/jhm.2647
Kotwal S, Howell E, Brotman D, Wright S. Clinical Excellence in Hospital Medicine. European Journal for Person Centered Healthcare. Vol 4, No 3. 2016
Activities & Honors
- CIMS/Hospitalist Teaching Award 2015, Johns Hopkins Department of Medicine
- Outstanding Resident of the year 2012, Guthrie/Robert Packer Hospital
- Scott M Wright Award for Excellence in Research, Division of Hospital Medicine, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, 2016
- Berkheimer Faculty Education Scholar Grant Winner, Johns Hopkins Institute for Excellence in Education, 2018
- Society of Hospital Medicine