I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Center for Genetic Counseling
Evaluating Your Risk for Genetic Conditions
Are you concerned that your family history of diseases and conditions may put you or your children at higher risk for those diseases or other conditionS? Our genetic counselors can help. They are among the world’s experts in evaluating family history to assess disease risk.
Services we provide include:
- Gathering family history to assess disease risk
- Helping you determine whether genetic testing is appropriate
- Outlining the risks and benefits of testing
- Facilitating genetic test ordering
- Reviewing genetic test results with you
- Discussing what genetic test results mean for you and your family
Each of our genetic counselors is board certified by the American Board of Genetic Counseling. They work with teams of experts at Johns Hopkins to conduct research on genetic conditions with the aim of improving diagnosis and treatment, informed consent, and personal and family coping and adaptation to disease. They also work to educate other medical professionals, the next generation of genetic counselors and the public by participating in support groups and advocacy organizations, professional associations, and supervising and teaching students at all educational levels at Johns Hopkins and elsewhere.