I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
Lean Sigma Green Belt Certificate Course
Upcoming courses: Oct. 1-5 (FULL), Nov. 12-16
The five-day Lean Sigma Prescription for Healthcare® Green Belt Certificate Course customizes the Lean Sigma approach for health care professionals. This approach combines Lean Methodology, focusing on optimizing flow, increasing speed and reducing waste, with Six Sigma statistical tools to identify root causes and reduce defects. The Lean Sigma combination provides powerful improvement tools to address chronic operational problems, particularly the seven wastes of health care:
- Defects or rework
- Excess motion
- Wait time
- Excess inventory
Examples and exercises apply Lean Sigma tools with health care-specific scenarios to improve patient safety, clinical outcomes and organizational efficiencies. The course reviews statistical concepts applicable to health care, such as normality, stability and capability, as well as the most common statistical tests. Course participants delve into hands-on statistical analysis using Minitab® Statistical Software.
The Participant Experience
Participants in this course learn by doing. As they are introduced to Lean tools, they practice using them during hands-on exercises that simulate the inefficient systems encountered in their workplaces.
Explore Lean and Six Sigma tools in health care through hands-on applications, exercises and projects. After taking this course, the participant will be able to:
- Use the DMAIC (Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve, Control) project methodology
- Apply concepts learned to a Lean Sigma health care project
- Practice sound data collection and data analysis techniques
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of statistical methods
- Organize and lead a Lean Sigma project
Define/Measure (Understanding the Current State)
- Project Definition, Project Charter
- Values Stream Mapping (VSM), Spaghetti Diagram, Seven Wastes of Health Care
- Normality, Stability, Capability Analyses
Analyze (Understanding Variation and Causal Factors)
- Analysis Plan
- Hypothesis Testing using Minitab Software
- T-test, Chi-Square, Correlation, Regression, Equal Variances
Improve/Control (Generating Breakthrough Improvements)
- Mistake proofing
- Single Piece Flow
- Cost/Benefit Analysis
- Balance to Takt, 5S, Operational Methods Sheets, Control Charts
- Control Methods and Plans
Who Should Attend
This course is designed for health care professionals interested in or tasked with increasing efficiency in care delivery, including:
- Executive leadership
- Department administrators
- Mid-level providers
- Hospital and medical office administration staff
- Facility and clinical engineers
- Laboratory, imaging and specialized health care services staff
- Clinical support staff
- Pharmaceutical staff
Laura Winner, R.N., B.S.N., M.B.A.
Senior Director, Lean Sigma Deployment
Robert Hody, B.S., M.S.
Director, Lean Sigma Development
Scott Burkett, B.S.
Senior Quality and Innovation Coach
Registration and Costs
- $3,995 for the five-day course
- Group discounts of 20 percent are available when you register three or more participants.
- $900 for the optional Green Belt certification exam and review (no group discounts available)
Johns Hopkins Medicine employees: No cost. Seats limited. Email email@example.com to indicate your interest in this course.
Registration fee includes instructional materials, breakfast, lunch and an afternoon snack.
Participants must provide a laptop with an XP, Vista, or other Windows operating system for the class. Prior to the course, participants should complete pre-reading assignments and identify a Lean Sigma project within their organization in order to apply the tools and concepts learned.
Please see our cancellation and refund policy.
750 E. Pratt St., 4th Floor Conference Center
Baltimore, MD 21202
8 a.m.-5 p.m. every day
Get details on parking, hotels and attractions.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 410-637-7160.