I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Statin Therapy for Patients with Cardiovascular Disease
Advantage MD, EHP, Priority Partners, and USFHP. Males 21-75 years of age; Females 40-75 years of age.
The percentage of males 21-75 years of age and females 40-75 years of age as of December 31 of the measurement year, diagnosed with clinical atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease (ASCVD) and were dispensed at least one high or moderate-intensity statin medication during the measurement year.
The following rates are reported:
- Received Statin Therapy. Dispensed at least one medication during the measurement year.
- Statin Adherence 80%. Remained on medication for at least 80% of the treatment period.
Total Rate: Report two age/gender stratifications and a total rate.
*NOTE: All numerator compliant for Rate 1 must be used as the eligible population for Rate 2 (regardless of the data source used to capture the Rate 1 numerator).
Best Practice and Measure Tips
The treatment period is defined as the earliest prescription dispensing date in the measurement year for any statin medication of at least moderate intensity through the last day of the measurement year.
- Consider prescribing a high or moderate intensity statin, as appropriate.
- Member must use their insurance card to fill one of the statins or statin combination medications through the last day of the measurement year.
- Educate members: Statin use should always be accompanied by lifestyle modifications focused on diet and weight loss to improve a patient's lipid panel.
- Members are identified by event or diagnosis.
- Event: Discharged from an inpatient setting with a myocardial infarction (MI) on the discharge claim. CABG, PCI or any other revascularization in any setting the year prior to the measurement year.
- Diagnosis: Identify members as having ischemic vascular disease (IVD) who met at least one of the following criteria during both the measurement year and the year prior to the measurement year:
- At least one outpatient visit, telephone visit, e-visit or virtual check-in with an IVD diagnosis.
- At least one acute inpatient encounter with an IVD diagnosis without telehealth.
- At least one acute inpatient discharge with an IVD diagnosis on the discharge claim.
- Palliative Care
- Fraility and Advanced Illness
- Living in Long Term Care
Any time during the measurement year or the prior year:
- Female members with a diagnosis of pregnancy
- In vitro fertilization
- Dispensed at least one prescription for clomiphene
- ESRD or dialysis
During the Measurement Year:
Common codes for exclusion:
- Muscular Pain
- G72.0 Drug Induced Myopathy
- M62.82 Rhabdomyolysis
- M79.1 Myalgia
- K74.3 Primary biliary cirrhosis
- K74.4 Secondary biliary cirrhosis
- K74.69 Other cirrhosis of liver
- K70.30 Alcoholic cirrhosis of liver without ascites
- K70.30 Alcoholic cirrhosis of liver with ascites
- N18.6 ESRD
- N18.5 CKD, stage 5
Estrogen Agonists Medications
To comply with this measure, one of the following medications must have been dispensed:
- High-intensity statin therapy
- Atorvastatin 40-80 mg
- Amlodipine-atorvastatin 40-80 mg
- Rosuvastatin 20-40 mg
- Simvastatin 80 mg
- Ezetimibe-simvastatin 80 mg
- Moderate-intensity statin therapy
- Atorvastatin 10-20 mg
- Amlodipine-atorvastatin 10-20 mg
- Rosuvastatin 5-10 mg
- Simvastatin 20-40 mg
- Ezetimibe-simvastatin 20-40 mg
- Pravastatin 40-80 mg
- Lovastatin 40 mg
- Fluvastatin 40-80 mg
- Pitavastatin 2–4 mg