Save the date for the 11th Annual Levi Watkins Jr., M.D. Bayview Summer Scholars Lectureship, scheduled for Tuesday, July 14, 2020 at 4 p.m. in the Grossi Auditorium of the Asthma and Allergy on the Johns Hopkins Bayview campus.
This year’s keynote speaker will be Ivan Montoya, M.D., Deputy Director, National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA). For more information about Dr. Montoya, please visit the NIDA website here.
Following the lecture, there will be a reception in which three Apple iPads will be raffled to students. Additional information about the event will be available in the spring of 2020.
In 2016, this celebration was renamed in honor of the late Levi Watkins, Jr., M.D., a pioneer in both cardiac surgery and civil rights. Dr. Watkins’ niece, Crystal C. Watkins, M.D., Ph.D., director of the Memory Clinic in the Neuropsychiatry Program at Sheppard Pratt, and assistant professor of psychiatry and behavioral science at The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, inspired students with the inaugural keynote address.
Dr. Levi Watkins is a fitting namesake for the Summer Scholars Lectureship. After joining the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in 1971, Dr. Watkins charted a career of historic firsts. In 1980, he performed the world’s first implantation of an automatic heart defibrillator in a human. In cardiac surgery, he became the first black chief resident at The Johns Hopkins Hospital, and later the first African-American full professor. He was a tireless advocate for fairness and diversity, spearheading a drive to recruit minorities to Hopkins and establishing the annual Martin Luther King Jr. Commemoration.
Previous Keynote speakers have included:
- Marie Bernard, M.D., National Institute on Aging
- Freeman A. Hrabowski, III, Ph.D., University of Maryland-Baltimore County
- Alfredo Quiñones-Hinojosa, M.D., Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Jean Lud Cadet, M.D., National Institute on Drug Abuse
- Levi Watkins, Jr., M.D., Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Lisa D. Cooper, M.D., MPH, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Crystal C. Watkins, M.D., Ph.D., Sheppard Pratt Health System
- Robert S.D. Higgins, M.D., Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Nadia Hansel, M.D., Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Michele Evans, M.D., National Institute on Aging