The School of Medicine Distinguished Medical Alumnus Award
The Distinguished Medical Alumnus Award honors those alumni (degree recipients, current and former faculty, fellows and house staff) of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and the Johns Hopkins Hospital who have demonstrated excellence and achievement through their personal and professional accomplishments.
- Eli Y. Adashi, M.D., M.S., M.A. (ad eundem), C.P.E., FACOG, FRCOG (ad eundem), Med PGF ’78
- C. Richard Conti, M.D., MACC, HC, FCP, Med ’60, HS ’68
- Keith D. Lillemoe, M.D., Med ’78, HS ’85
- Donna Magid, M.D., M.Ed, FAUR, Med ’79, HS ’83, PGF ’84
- Frederick K. Merkel, M.D., FACS, Med ’61
- Joseph O. Moore, M.D., Med ’70, HS ’75
- SriniVas R. Sadda, M.D., Med ’94, HS ’98, HS ’99
- Joseph M. Serletti, M.D., Faculty
- Howard Markel, M.D., Ph.D., Med '94
- Rein Saral, M.D., Med '69
- Christine E. Whitten, M.D., Med '79
- Lawrence C. Pakula, M.D., House Staff '57-'60
- Valerie S. Ratts, M.D., Med '87
- Robert J. D’Amato, M.D., Ph.D., Med ’86 & KSAS ’83
- Christine Edry Seidman, M.D. – Resident ‘81
- Doris A. Stoffers, M.D, Ph.D., Med ’91 & KSAS ’84
- Dan M. Granoff, M.D., Med ’68 & KSAS ’65
- Alain G. Bertoni M.D., Med ’95 & BSPH ’99
- Alfred P. Sanfilippo, M.D., Ph.D.
- J. Mario Molina, M.D.
- James F. Fries, M.D.
- Alice S. Huang, Ph.D.
- Kenneth M. Ludmerer, M.D.
- Elissa J. Palmer, M.D.
- Steven A. Wartman, M.D., Ph.D.
- Roy C. Ziegelstein, M.D., M.A.C.P.
- Catherine M. Bonuccelli, M.D. ‘83
- Vanessa E. Cullins, M.D. ‘83
- Charles W. Cummings, M.D., Faculty '91-present
- Stephen V. Desiderio, M.D. ‘78, Ph.D. ‘81
- George J. Dover, M.D., HS and Fellow '73-77; Faculty '77-present
- Eileen P.G. “Patti” Vining, M.D. ‘72
- Menelaos A. Aliapoulios, M.D. '59
- Robert Butner, M.D. '68
- Elizabeth A. Hunt, M.D., Ph.D. Fellow '00, Faculty '03-'07
- David C. Levin, M D. '64
- Randolph B. Reinhold, M.D. '64
- Steven A. Rosenberg, M.D. '64; Krieger '61; Faculty '07
- Robert J. Ruben, M.D. '59; HS '59-64; Faculty '65
- John C. Ruckdeschel, M.D., HS '71-72
- Henry N. Wagner, Jr., M.D. '52; Krieger '48; HS '53-55 and '58-59; Faculty '59-present
- James P. Gills, Jr., M.D., HS '62-65
- Carol W. Greider, Ph.D., Faculty '97-07
- George W. Hambrick, Jr., M.D., Faculty '66-76
- Jeffrey D. Rothstein, M.D., Ph.D., HS '86-89 and Faculty '89-07
- Richard J. Traystman, Ph.D., Faculty '80-03
- David Paton, M.D. '56
- Stephen J. Ryan, Jr., M.D. '65
- Charles D. Sherman Jr., M.D. '45
- John D. Stobo, M.D., HS '68-73
- J. Alex Haller, Jr., M.D. '51
- Merel Harmel, M.D. '43 February
- Bernard Lown, M.D. '45
- Albert H. Owens, Jr., M.D. '49
- Denton A. Cooley, M.D. '44
- Simeon Margolis, M.D. '57, Ph.D. '64
- Maclyn McCarty, M.D. '37
- Henry M. Seidel, M.D. '46
- Anthony S. Felsovanyi, M.D. '41
- Bernadine P. Healy, M.D., HS and Fellow '71-84, Faculty '79-84
- William P. Longmire, Jr., M.D. '38
- Sherman M. Mellinkoff, M.D., HS and Faculty '47-53
- Mary Ellen Avery, M.D. '52
- Richard J. Johns, M.D. '48
- Daniel Nathans, M.D., Faculty '62-96
- Edyth H. Schoenrich, M.D., M.P.H., HS and Fellow '48-54
- Huntington Sheldon, M.D. '56
- Mary Betty Stephens, M.D. '55
- Worth B. Daniels, Jr., M.D. '48
- Irving J. Sherman, M.D. '40
- Frank Hinman, Jr., M.D. '41
- Frank A. Oski, M.D., Faculty '85-96
- Leighton E. Cluff, M.D., HS '49-52, Faculty '54-66
- Thomas W. Langfitt, M.D. '53
- Martin Macht, M.D. '45, Ph.D. Krieger '42
- David E. Rogers, M.D., Dean Emeritus
- Richard S. Ross, M.D., Dean Emeritus
- Thomas B. Turner, M.D., Dean Emeritus
- Charles C. J. Carpenter, Jr., M.D. '56
- Gottlieb C. Friesinger II, M.D. '55
- C. Rollins Hanlon, M.D. '38
- Carol J. Johns, M.D. '50
- Robert Austrian, M.D. '41
- George E. Farrar, Jr., M.D. '31
- A. McGehee Harvey, M.D. '34
- Victor A. McKusick, M.D. '46
- James W. Haviland, M.D. '36
- Jeremiah A. Barondess, M.D. '49
- George W. Mitchell, Jr., M.D. '42
- John E. Bordley, M.D. '29
- Giles F. Filley, M.D. '42
- Mark M. Ravitch, M.D. '34
- Caroline Bedell Thomas, M.D. '30
- Benjamin M. Baker, Jr., M.D. '27
- Dr. and Mrs. J. O'Neal Humphries, M.D. '56
- Herbert E. Sloan, Jr., M.D. '40
- R. Carmichael Tilghman, M.D. '32
- J. Donald Hubbard, M.D. '51
- Nancy L. R. Bucher, M.D. '43 February
- Thomas G. Vandivier, M.D. '54
The Johns Hopkins Medical and Surgical Association
Samuel P. Asper Award for Achievement in Advancing International Medical Education
The Asper Award was established in honor of the vision of the late Samuel P. Asper, M.D. '40. A renowned Hopkins educator and physician, he served as Dean of the American University of Beirut School of Medicine in the mid-to-late 1970s. Dr. Asper believed that the Hopkins-trained physicians who are dedicated to fostering excellent medical care and education in a foreign country are continuing the outreach effort of Dr. William Osler, who traveled to China to assist in establishing Peking Medical Union College, and deserve recognition for their efforts. The Asper Award is presented once every two years during the Biennial Meeting of The Johns Hopkins Medical & Surgical Association to a member of the Association who has had a significant impact on the health and education of those in foreign countries.
- Robert J. Lerer, M.D., F.A.A.P., Med ’70
- Ernesto Bustamante, Ph.D., Med '78
- C. Richard Conti, M.D., Med '60
- Nicole A. Shilkofski, M.D., Faculty
- Sean P. Gaine, M.D. Post-Graduate Fellow - Respiratory Medicine, 1997; House Staff - Department of Medicine, 1992
- G. Johan A. Offerhaus, M.D., M.P.H., Ph.D. Pathology, 1985-1991
- Ghazi S. Zaatari, M.D., Pathology, 1976-1980
- Marthanda Varma Sankaran Valiathan, M.D., Cardiac Surgery, trainee of Dr. Vincent Gott
- R. Bradley Sack, M.D., Sc.D., Department of Medicine, Infectious Diseases, 1962-1964
- Timothy S. Harrison, M.D. '53, Department of Surgery, 1956-1959
- Ming-liang Lee, M.D., Ph.D., Division of Medical Genetics, Department of Medicine, 1976-1977
- Mohsen Ziai, M.D. '52, Department of Pediatrics 1952-1953
- Wilson Hwei-yuen Lo, M.D. '51, Department of Medicine 1951-1954
- Mario Paredes-Espinoza, Department of Medicine 1953-1957
- Rolando A. Chanis, Jr., M.D. '36
- Manuel Preciado, M.D. '40
- Julio C. Wong, M.D. '51
The Johns Hopkins Women’s Medical Alumnae Association (JHWMAA) Hall of Fame was established in 1993, to honor women who have made significant contributions to our community here at Johns Hopkins, and to the larger world of medicine. These Hall of Fame recognizes women have preceded us, and women who have worked with us. It endeavors to bring to life the energy, enthusiasm, and passion of these individuals so that generations to come will have insight into the wide variety of accomplishments achieved by women in medicine at Johns Hopkins.
- Estelle Gauda, M.D., Faculty
- Susan M. MacDonald, M.D., HS ’84, PGF ’87
- Katrina A. Armstrong, M.D., M.S.C.E., Med ’91
- Anne B. McKusick, M.D., Med '50
- Patricia Charache, M.D.
- Catherine D. DeAngelis, M.D., M.P.H.
- Paula M. Pitha-Rowe, Ph.D.
- Nancy E. Davidson, M.D.
- Linda P. Fried, M.D., M.P.H.
- Barbara Starfield, M.D., M.P.H.
The collection includes over 300 commemorative portraits of individuals associated with the major health entities of Johns Hopkins. Figures represented in the collection include a cross section of institutional leaders, including donors, trustees, deans, presidents of the hospital, and directors of departments. In addition, there are portraits of much beloved faculty and other figures associated in some way with the health entities. View all portrait recipients.
- Tina L. Cheng, M.D., M.P.H.
- Patricia Davidson, Ph.D., M.Ed, R.N.
- Theodore L. DeWeese, M.D.
- Colleen Koch, M.D., M.S., M.B.A.
- Alan Partin, M.D., Ph.D.
- H. Ballentine Carter, M.D.
- Robert Garrett
- John P. Gearhart, M.D., Med PGF ’85
- W. P. Andrew Lee, M.D., Med ’83
The Johns Hopkins University Alumni Association Awards
The JHU Alumni Association presents six prestigious annual awards to honor deserving graduates, professors and friends of Johns Hopkins. Visit the JHU Alumni Association website for more information.
Woodrow Wilson Award for Distinguished Government Service - Honors alumni who have brought credit to the university by their current or recently concluded distinguished public service as elected or appointed officials.
Heritage Award - Honors alumni and friends of Johns Hopkins who have contributed outstanding service over an extended period to the progress of the university or the activities of the Alumni Association.
Distinguished Alumnus Award - Honors alumni who have typified the Johns Hopkins tradition of excellence and brought credit to the university by their personal accomplishment, professional achievement or humanitarian service.
Global Achievement Award - Honors alumni who exemplify the Johns Hopkins tradition of excellence and have brought credit to the university and their profession in the international arena through their professional achievements or humanitarian service.
Outstanding Recent Graduate Award - Honors recent graduates of Johns Hopkins (within 10 years of graduation) for outstanding achievement or service in their professional or volunteer life. Support of Johns Hopkins may be a consideration but not a requirement.
Community Hero Award - Recognizes outstanding contributions that address critical social, economic and environmental needs throughout our society and communities, including local communities. Both individuals and groups are eligible. The nominee(s) may be either Johns Hopkins alumni (individual or group) who have impacted any community OR non-alumni (individual or group) who have impacted a Johns Hopkins institution.