When You Can't Breathe, Nothing Else Matters
About Our Practice
We provide multidisciplinary care for patients with all aspects of central airway obstruction due to either malignant or non-malignant disease. The complex airway team includes Interventional Pulmonology, Thoracic Surgery, Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery and Anesthesiology. Our goal is to provide expeditious care in a multidisciplinary fashion with outstanding communication to both the patient and the referring physicians. To help achieve these goals, patients are discussed at a Multidisciplinary Complex Airway Conference.
In addition to airway obstruction from malignancy, we treat non-malignant central airway obstruction due to diseases such as tracheobronchomalacia, tracheal or sub-glottic stenosis, relapsing polychondritis, amyloidosis, tracheobronchial papillomatosis, granulomatosis with polyangiitis (GPA) and pulmonary alveolar proteinosis.
We are fortunate to have all modalities for central airway intervention available to us, allowing treatment to be tailored to each patient. These technologies include:
- Thermal techniques including argon plasma coagulation (APC), electrocautery, laser and cryotherapy
- Silicone, metallic, and hybrid airway stents
- Powered instrumentation (microdebrider)
- Percutaneous Tracheostomy and T-tubes
- Endobronchial brachytherapy
- Photodynamic therapy
Our team provides comprehensive advanced diagnostic techniques for patients with small lung nodules and enlarged lymph nodes in the chest with:
- Endobronchial ultrasound (EBUS)
- Electromagnetic Navigational Bronchoscopy
We also work closely with our COPD team to evaluate patients with advanced emphysema and chronic bronchitis, and are one of the only centers in Maryland to offer endobronchial valves for bronchoscopic lung volume reduction as well as several research trials for COPD / chronic bronchitis.
Patients with pleural effusions, mediastinal adenopathy and lung nodules or masses are also evaluated and treated in a multidisciplinary approach with members of Interventional Pulmonology, Thoracic Surgery, Medical Oncology and Radiation Oncology. We also perform ultrasound guided pleural procedures such as placement of tunneled pleural catheters (PleurRx® and Rocket®), pigtail catheters, and medical thoracoscopy in addition to whole lung lavage for pulmonary alveolar proteinosis. Additionally, we are one of the leading centers for intrabronchial valve placement for the management of prolonged air leaks.
Scheduling An Appointment
Before the appointment, all pertinent medical records from referring physicians should be faxed to (410) 367-3252. Patients should bring recent X-rays, CT scans and PET scans either as a ‘hard copy’ or on CD to their appointment or make them available prior to the appointment.
Our nurse, Kelly Walter, is an outstanding resource and can help you navigate through a complex system. She can be reached through our office phone number (410-502-2533)
Additional Links and Procedure Information
- The Johns Hopkins Lung Cancer Program
- Johns Hopkins Hospital campus map
- Johns Hopkins Bayview campus map
- Bronchoscopy information
- Percutaneous Tracheostomy Program
- PleurX® catheter drainage video**
- PleurX® Resources
- Rocket IPC Drainage Video
- Rocket Resources
- Pleural catheter drainage diary
- Example of EBUS TBNA of 11L lymph node
- Thoracoscopy information
- Bronchoscopy Anesthesia Checklist
- Click here to make a charitable donation to the Interventional Pulmonology Research Fund
**These videos were not produced by Johns Hopkins Medicine, and is intended for informational and entertainment purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Johns Hopkins Medicine does not necessarily endorse the views expressed or the information presented in the video, other than its own. Further, Johns Hopkins bears no responsibility for the accuracy, legality or quality of the content. In addition, Johns Hopkins does not endorse any commercial products that are mention in this video.
IP Fellowship and Continuing Medical Education
- Interventional Pulmonary Fellowship
- Observership and hands-on experience also available with advance arrangements