I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Division of General Internal Medicine
Appointment and Procedure Updates
We are updating some appointment and procedure practices to help lessen the spread of the new coronavirus and COVID-19.
- Many Johns Hopkins patients may now have the option to have a video appointment with their provider, depending on their healthcare need.
- In some cases, appointments or procedures may need to be rescheduled. If there are changes to your care, your provider will contact you.
Read this year's Message from the Division Director.
Our Mission, Vision and Values
Welcome to the Division of General Internal Medicine (GIM) at Johns Hopkins. Our Mission is to provide the best care to patients and populations, educate and mentor the next generation of physicians and scientists, and improve health and healthcare through innovative research.
Working collaboratively across Johns Hopkins University, we aspire to transform medicine to achieve the Triple Aim* by implementing effective care strategies proven through innovative and rigorous research into practice and educating health care teams to implement such strategies.
* 1) Improving the patient experience of care (including quality and satisfaction); 2) Improving the health of populations; and 3) Reducing the per capita cost of health care.
We fully embrace the JHM Core Values
- Excellence & Discovery - Be the best. Commit to exceptional quality and service by encouraging curiosity, seeking information and creating innovative solutions.
- Leadership & Integrity - Be a role model. Inspire others to achieve their best and have the courage to do the right thing.
- Diversity & Inclusion - Be open. Embrace and value different backgrounds, opinions and experiences.
- Respect & Collegiality - Be kind. Listen to understand and embrace others’ unique skills and knowledge
We espouse the following additional GIM Values
- Teamwork - Be collaborative. High-functioning multidisciplinary teams create the best results for patient care, education and research.
- Transparency - Be open and honest. Everyone deserves to start from the same place and work with the same information.
- Balance - Nourish your mind, body and spirit. To be our best and achieve our potential we strive to be healthy and happy; this occurs most easily when we each achieve a state of balance.
- Service - Give back by paying forward. We commit ourselves to service within the institution, to our professional organizations and to our community.
- Creativity - Think outside the box. The best solutions to the biggest problems often require imaginative, innovative thinking which involves a significant change from the current approach. We strive to be bold and are not afraid to fail sometimes.
Hopkins GIM is home to a large, diverse group of individuals dedicated to our mission and includes about 90 full-time faculty, over 180 part-time and more than 30 jointly appointed faculty, 12-15 federally-funded post-doctoral fellows, and 200+ administrative and research staff. Hopkins GIM faculty and staff are awarded over $20-25 million in grants each year to conduct innovative research in a wide variety of areas using different methods all aimed at improving health and health care. Our faculty direct or co-direct 12 centers.
We have broad clinical expertise in internal medicine. Our faculty and staff provide outpatient primary care and preventive care at 2 locations: Johns Hopkins Outpatient Center and Green Spring Station. We also provide services through our Executive and Preventive Health Program, and University Health Services, as well as subspecialty services for patients with hypertension in our Hypertension Center, and with HIV in the Moore Clinic. We also have clinical expertise in Hospital Medicine providing care for patients at Johns Hopkins Hospital on the Hospitalist Unit, Palliative Care Unit, and all over the hospital through our Comprehensive Consultation Service.
Training and Education
Hopkins GIM faculty are leaders in the training and education of learners at many different levels including:
- Medical students
- Post-doctoral fellows
- Masters and PhD students
- Post-doctoral students in the School of Public Health
Thank you for visiting our website. We invite you to take a look at what we are doing and contact us if you want to learn more. If you already know what we do and are looking for a way to help, we are always grateful for gifts or pledges to help the Division achieve our mission.