I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Children of all ages from birth to adulthood come to Johns Hopkins for pediatric rehabilitation. Our experienced team offers a wide range of services, from physical and occupational therapy through Johns Hopkins Children’s Center, to specialized treatment for spinal cord injury at Kennedy Krieger Institute. No matter your child’s health condition, we will connect you with the right physician or therapist.
Pediatric Rehabilitation: Why Choose Johns Hopkins
- Our pediatric rehabilitation experts work side by side with children and their families to develop custom treatment plans to meet their needs.
- Our goal is to help your child get back to the life he or she enjoys: at home, in family and social activities, as part of sports and recreation, in school-based programs — and more.
- Our team uses age-appropriate treatment techniques and tools, including toys and games, to increase your child’s comfort and participation in therapy sessions.
- Our therapists have years of additional training and experience beyond the standard requirements, allowing them to evaluate and treat children with a wide range of conditions.
Request an appointment
We can help your child with:
- Weakness and fatigue
- Joint stiffness
- Injury recovery
- Play and fine motor skills
- Changes in posture
- Delayed development
- Scar tissue restriction
- Numbness in feet or hands
- Eating and feeding
One day, Yun approached me with this clear little room with all sorts of fun things hanging from the top. I was a little surprised, but Everleigh began reaching for all the shiny things. Her little room has been the biggest help with getting her to reach farther and coming midline to grab for her toys. I can't thank Yun enough for everything she's done.
- Everleigh’s mom speaking about occupational therapist Yun Kim
Specialized Pediatric Expertise
Our team of therapists works closely with a variety of specialists in and outside Johns Hopkins, including experts in pediatric reconstructive surgery, spinal muscular atrophy, juvenile diabetes, cystic fibrosis and pediatric hypertension, as well as the staff at the pediatric intensive care unit.
We also offer specialized expertise in the following conditions and treatments:
- Medically complex patient care, including rehabilitation for children recovering from burns or other physical trauma, organ transplants and other complex conditions
- Pediatric cancer rehabilitation, spanning from diagnosis to post-treatment recovery
- Orthopaedic rehabilitation, which covers a variety of bone and joint conditions
- Treatment for infant torticollis (twisted neck) and plagiocephaly (flat spot on the head)
- Serial casting, the application and removal of casts, each at a slightly different angle, to stretch tight muscles and improve range of motion
- Pediatric wheelchair evaluation, including a comprehensive mobility assessment and follow-up care to address your child’s needs as he or she grows
- Vestibular rehabilitation, the diagnosis and treatment of dizziness and balance disorders
- Cardiopulmonary care, which is for children with heart and lung problems, such as cystic fibrosis
- Activity-based restorative therapy for spinal cord injury and chronic paralysis at Kennedy Krieger Institute
Our Pediatric Rehabilitation Team
Pediatric Rehabilitation Physicians
Expertise, Disease and Conditions: Botulinum Toxin Injections, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Spasticity Management, Spinal Cord Injury
Expertise, Disease and Conditions: Concussion Rehabilitation, Dysautonomia, Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, Neurally Mediated Hypotension, Orthostatic Intolerance, Pediatric Rehabilitation Medicine, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Post-Concussive Disorder, Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS)
Expertise, Disease and Conditions: Cerebral Palsy, Congenital Anomalies, Pediatric Rehabilitation, Pediatric Rehabilitation Medicine, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Spina Bifida, Syringomyelia
Expertise, Disease and Conditions: Botulinum Toxin Injections, Intrathecal Baclofen Therapy, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Spasticity Management, Spinal Cord Injury, Wound Healing
Expertise, Disease and Conditions: Neuromyelitis Optica, Pediatric Spinal Cord Injury, Spinal Cord Dysfunction, Spinal Cord Injury, Spinal Cord Trauma, Transverse Myelitis, Traumatic and Non-traumatic Spinal Cord Injury
Expertise, Disease and Conditions: Arthritis, Back Pain, Bursitis, Cervical Degenerative Disc Disease, Complex Regional Pain Syndrome, Epidural Injections, Image-Guided Interventional Procedures, Joint Injections, Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation, Myofascial Pain, Neuropathic Pain, Neuropathies, Radiculopathy
International Center for Spinal Cord Injury at Kennedy Krieger Institute
When your child has a spinal cord injury, life changes forever. Recovery is possible, and there is potential to make progress even years after the injury. Children with chronic paralysis find new hope through activity-based restorative therapy at Kennedy Krieger Institute. Rather than compensating for the loss of function, this program aims to restore as much of the normal function as medically possible.
Request an Appointment
Already a Patient?
Traveling for Care?
Whether you're crossing the country or the globe, we make it easy to access world-class care at Johns Hopkins.