If you have a complex, chronic condition, you often need specialized medications to manage it. At Johns Hopkins Medicine, our specialty pharmacy offers a large inventory of medications to treat even the rarest conditions.
We work closely with you and your providers to help you get the right medications—and help you understand how to take them.
To Learn More or Get Started with Your Prescription:
How to Refill Medication
- Call 410-288-6000 when you have about 5-7 days of medication remaining.
- Check MyChart to see if there is a survey to complete.
Our Services at Johns Hopkins Specialty Pharmacy
Our pharmacists and technicians provide specialized medications that are not commonly available at retail pharmacies. Before you receive the medication, we review with you, your family members or caregivers how to administer injections and other medications at home.
Our pharmacists and their teams provide:
We have access to most specialty medications for complex, chronic conditions. Our team works closely with your providers to make sure you receive the right medications, in the exact doses and forms that you need them.
Before you receive your medications, our pharmacists help you understand your medications. We review with you what to expect, including how the drugs work, how to administer injections and other medications, what to do if you miss a dose and how to manage any side effects. We teach you how to safely store and dispose of medications, sharps (such as needles and devices that can puncture skin) and other materials to keep them away from children and pets.
Our team helps you navigate the health insurance process and find ways to pay for your medications. We help you understand your plan’s coverage, get prior authorizations and find assistance programs to help make your medications more affordable.
We can deliver your medications to your home throughout Maryland and most states.
Conditions We Treat
At the Johns Hopkins Specialty Pharmacy, our pharmacist team treats a wide range of complex, chronic conditions. Learn more about these conditions:
Why Choose Johns Hopkins Specialty Pharmacy?
Our team is dedicated to helping you with everything you need for specialty medications. Highlights of our specialty pharmacy include:
All of our specialty pharmacists are Doctors of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) with advanced training in medications and patient care. Our pharmacists have additional expertise in a variety of medical specialties. When you call or visit us, you’ll speak with an expert pharmacist who thoroughly understands the medications you’re taking for any condition.
We provide ongoing support to help you get the most out of your treatment plan. Our team spends time with you to understand your specific symptoms and show you how to manage your medication regimen. We provide counseling and education to help you complete your therapy. With a compassionate touch, we take care of the details so you can focus on your health and quality of life.
As part of your care team, we communicate with your providers through our secure, electronic health record (EHR) system. Our specialty pharmacists meet regularly with our patients’ care teams throughout Johns Hopkins Medicine. We communicate more often, as necessary, with your providers to help manage your care.
Commitment to National Standards
Our specialty pharmacy has received accreditation from the Utilization Review Accreditation Commission (URAC). This accreditation shows our commitment to safe, high-quality pharmacy services and care that meet or exceed the highest national standards.
Johns Hopkins Specialty Pharmacy: What to Expect
Our specialty pharmacists and technicians are ready to answer your questions. Here’s what you can expect when you work with us:
- Your first prescription: You or your provider sends us your prescription, whether you’ve had an outpatient visit or a hospital stay.
- Benefits investigation: We work with your provider and insurance to get necessary approvals for your insurance to cover the medicine. This can take up to two weeks.
- Training: Once the medication is approved by your insurance company, the pharmacist will review your current medications, discuss how to take the new medication, and provide additional resources.
- Medication delivery: We ask how you’d like to receive your medication, by:
- Pickup at one of our pharmacies
- Free delivery to your home or other location
- Medication refills: We’ll remind you before you need a refill. You can also call us to schedule a refill. Please call one week before you run out, so we can make sure you receive your medication in time.
- Follow up: A pharmacist will follow up with you while you are on specialty medications to assess any side effects, check if you’re taking the medication as prescribed, and review labs as appropriate.
Download Our Welcome Packet
Learn more about our services and what you can expect with Johns Hopkins Specialty Pharmacy. Our packet also includes contact information, our pharmacy hours and locations, helpful tips and more.
To find out more about our services or to send us a prescription, please give us a call.
Our business hours are Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m and Friday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. If you call after hours, a pharmacist is available for urgent clinical questions and will call you back.