After an illness, injury or surgery that makes it difficult to get to a doctor’s office on your own, you may need extra support to regain strength, mobility and independence. Johns Hopkins Home Care Group offers in-home therapy to help you get back to the activities you enjoy.
Our skilled physical and occupational therapists and speech-language pathologists come to your home to help you meet your health goals. We care for a wide variety of conditions and injuries, with services that help you safely recover.
Our at-home physical, occupational and speech therapy is available throughout Baltimore City, Washington, D.C., and Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Carroll, Cecil, Frederick, Harford, Howard, Montgomery and Prince George’s counties. You will need a referral from your provider to get started.
Who can benefit from therapy at home?
Our physical and occupational therapists help you rebuild your strength and function, and our speech-language pathologists help you with swallowing, language or speaking challenges. We take the time to understand how these physical challenges are affecting your quality of life.
You may benefit from home therapy if you have experienced injuries such as:
- Broken bones and dislocated joints
- Burns and other soft tissue injuries
- Nerve injuries
- Repetitive strain injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
We help with recovery after:
- Hospitalization for cardiopulmonary diseases such as heart failure and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Hip replacement or other joint replacement surgery
We provide care for chronic pain and other symptoms caused by conditions such as:
- Arthritis and other degenerative (“wear and tear”) conditions
- Balance disorders
- Headaches and migraine
- Joint, tendon and ligament conditions
- Movement disorders such as Huntington’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and tremor
- Neurologic (nerve-related) conditions
- Swallowing and voice disorders such as aphasia, dysphagia and hypophonia
Our Home Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapy Services
We work with you one on one to create a treatment plan, which can include an assortment of services to help you meet your goals. Here are just a few of the services we provide:
- Conditioning exercises to improve strength, balance, mobility, range of motion and stability
- Training to prevent falls and home safety assessments
- Assistance with learning to use equipment such as walkers or wheelchairs
- Training to safely complete daily living activities such as bathing, dressing, cooking and transferring, including moving from bed to chair
- Assistance with learning to use assistive devices such as shower chairs or bedside commodes
- Sensory reeducation after nerve injury to improve sensation and hand dexterity
- Instructions for verbal or nonverbal systems to improve communication for people recovering from a stroke, tracheotomy, or other condition or treatment
- Strategies to help people with swallowing difficulties safely eat and drink
- Training in specialized therapies for people with Parkinson’s disease, dysphagia and other common conditions
To learn more about our program and how we can help you:
Why choose Johns Hopkins Home Care Group for home therapy services?
Physical, occupational and speech therapy can help you regain the skills you need for daily activities. Highlights of our home therapy services are:
Our licensed therapists and pathologists have advanced training and certifications in many specialty therapies, such as hand therapy and gerontology. Many of our team members specialize in condition-specific therapies, such as voice therapy for people with Parkinson’s disease. You receive care from highly skilled therapists with experience treating a wide range of conditions and injuries.
Our therapists work with an entire team of home health care providers from several fields of medicine. Our providers work together and with your referring provider to develop a care plan tailored to your needs. The team meets regularly to review your progress, adjusting the care plan as needed, with your doctor’s input.
Therapies based on the latest research
Our therapists participate in continuing education to ensure that you receive the most effective care. We keep current with the latest research and practices in physical, occupational and speech therapy.
Dedication to quality and safety
As part of Johns Hopkins Home Care Group, our home therapy program has received accreditation from the Joint Commission, an organization whose recognition shows that our dedication to patient care meets or exceeds national standards for safety and quality. Our system of quality checks ensures your safety for every service we provide. See our ratings for quality of patient care at the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.
Therapy from Johns Hopkins Home Care Group: What to Expect
Our highly trained therapists and pathologists provide compassionate care to help you stay safe and independent at home. Here’s what you can expect when you are referred to us:
- Initial in-home assessment: When we receive the referral, we consult with your provider to understand the diagnosis and orders for the first visit. We then schedule a time to meet with you in your home. We speak with you about your goals and provide a comprehensive assessment, testing things like joint range of motion, strength, balance and mobility.
- Personalized care plan: We work as a team to tailor a care plan to your health needs and goals. The care plan includes the frequency, number and type of home health visits, which can change over time as we monitor your progress.
- Patient education and support: Our therapists work closely with you to provide education about the condition or injury. We teach you exercises and techniques and make sure that you can do them safely on your own. We leave you with handouts, many available in multiple languages, and written instructions for self-care. The goal is to help you learn to do your program on your own, when we aren’t there.
- Frequent review of the care plan: Our home health team meets regularly to review your progress and adjust your care plan as needed. With our regular monitoring, skilled interventions and thorough education, we help you safely rebuild your strength and abilities so you can stay independent at home.