When you or a loved one has a serious, chronic illness, palliative care provides treatment and services to help people live more comfortably. At Johns Hopkins Home Care Group, our home health care team of nurses, therapists and other providers offers compassionate palliative care at home.
We offer palliative care for people throughout Baltimore City, Washington, D.C., and Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Carroll, Cecil, Frederick, Harford, Howard, Montgomery and Prince George’s counties. You will need a referral from your provider to get started.
Who can benefit from palliative care at home?
Our home-based palliative care services can help people living with a complex, chronic condition. We often work with people who have:
- Alzheimer’s disease or other types of dementia
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Heart failure
- Movement disorders such as Huntington’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and tremor
- Organ diseases such as kidney disease, liver disease and organ failure
Our Palliative Care at Home Services
With palliative care, you have access to our entire team and services, so you or your loved one receive the care and treatments needed to live comfortably at home. We can also connect you with additional treatment at Johns Hopkins Medicine as needed.
The key goals of palliative care are to relieve your symptoms and improve your quality of life. These are some of the palliative care at home services we frequently offer:
- Care and services for symptom and pain management, including treatments, therapy and nutritional counseling
- Discussions about goals of care
- Referrals to mental health providers, support groups and spiritual support with chaplains and clergy members in a wide range of faiths
- Support and advice for advance care planning, with documents such as a living will and durable power of attorney for health care
To learn more about our program and how we can help you:
Why choose Johns Hopkins Home Care Group for palliative care?
Our health team provides expert palliative care at home with a compassionate touch to support you and your family. Highlights of our palliative care services:
Palliative care expertise
All our home health nurses have end-of-life training and extensive experience caring for hospitalized patients, and many have a background in critical care. We have advanced training to manage complex, chronic conditions with treatments that promote well-being and healing.
With Johns Hopkins Home Care Group, you have access to a team of health care providers from several fields of medicine. The team includes registered nurses, certified nursing assistants, therapists, pharmacists, registered dietitians and social workers. Our providers coordinate with your doctor to tailor a care plan to your needs and wishes.
Commitment to quality and safety
Our home health care program — including palliative care — has received accreditation from the Joint Commission, an organization whose recognition shows that our dedication to patient care meets or exceeds national standards for safety and quality. Our system of quality checks ensures your safety for every procedure and service we provide. See our ratings for quality of patient care at the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.
Palliative Care at Home from Johns Hopkins Home Care Group: What to Expect
Our expert team provides compassionate care to support you and your family with services in the comfort of your home. Here’s what you can expect when you are referred to us:
- Initial in-home assessment: When we receive your referral, we consult with your provider to understand the diagnosis and orders for the first visit. We then schedule a time to meet with you in your home.
- Personalized care plan: We work with your provider and members of our team to design a care plan based on your health needs. The care plan includes the frequency, number and type of home health visits, which we adapt based on your changing needs.
- Patient and family caregiver support: Our team provides education and assistance for you and your family. We leave you with handouts, many available in multiple languages, and written instructions for self-care. We work to support you and your family while you are living with serious illness.
- Adjustments to the care plan: Our home health team meets regularly to review your progress and adjust your care plan as needed. We support you with the care and services you need — when you need them — to avoid hospital visits and stay safe at home.