What to Bring
Please be prepared to bring the following with you to your Wilmer Eye Institute visit:
- Photo identification
- Insurance card(s)
- Relevant patient information forms
- List of current medications
- Previous related medical notes, scans, etc.
- Someone who can drive you home: Some appointments will require patients to have a driver to bring them home. Please inquire while booking your appointment.
- Service animal, if needed. Learn more about the policy.
What to Expect During Your Visit
Upon arrival, you will first be seen at the reception desk. There we will verify your personal* and insurance information. You will proceed to the waiting area and then to an exam room. During this time, you will be asked questions concerning your health and the reason you are seeing the physician. You may be examined by a physician's assistant, ophthalmic technician or resident before you are seen by your physician.
After you have been seen by your doctor, you will stop at the reception desk to obtain any follow-up appointments you may need.
At any time, please do not hesitate to ask for assistance or information. Your satisfaction, as well as quality care, will always be our utmost concern.
*Our Notice of Privacy Practices explains how all members of the Johns Hopkins organizations will safeguard your privacy.
Insurance and Billing
Insurance Coverage: Many insurance companies require a second surgical opinion, pre-authorization, pre-certification or all of these. Please check your health insurance policy or contact your insurance company about its special requirements. If you do not meet these requirements, the insurance company may refuse to pay or may pay a reduced amount for your surgery. In that case, you would be responsible for payment of all bills not covered by your insurance. It is your responsibility to contact your health insurance carrier regarding its policy on authorization and second surgical opinions.
Billing: Please call 410-955-5080 if you have any questions about billing procedures.
- Johns Hopkins Patient Privacy Information
- Authorization Form for Release of Health Records
- General Information and Forms for History & Physical/Laboratory Tests (Pre-operative) - This form must be completed NO LATER THAN 3 DAYS PRIOR TO THE DATE OF SURGERY. The form may be faxed or mailed back to your eye doctor's office. If returning by fax, send to (410) 614-0316. If returning by mail, check with your Wilmer location for the correct mailing address. In addition, please carry a printed copy with you on the day of your surgery. For any questions, please contact either the Wilmer Pre-Operative Evaluation Center at 410-955-5730.