The Office of Capital Region Research (CAPRES) is a Johns Hopkins Medicine effort that provides research management and support infrastructure to the Johns Hopkins-owned hospitals in the National Capital corridor and certain elements of community physician groups.
A program with oversight from Johns Hopkins University and the Johns Hopkins Health System, CAPRES was created to provide services designed to develop, nurture and improve medical research through collaboration between Johns Hopkins Community Physicians, Sibley Memorial Hospital, Suburban Hospital, Howard County General Hospital, and Johns Hopkins Regional Physicians.
CAPRES is focused on expanding and strengthening participation in the Johns Hopkins Medicine discovery missions across the health care system.
As the footprint of Johns Hopkins Medicine continues to grow outside of the Baltimore academic hospitals, CAPRES is poised to support clinical research in the community so that patients will have more opportunities to participate in research in the settings in which they receive care.
- All JHM hospitals and physician (JHCP and JHRP) - JHM IRB
- JHU SOM ORA contracting
- No sub-contract needed for awards including NIH
- Full Epic integration
- PI in the community only
- PI at multiple sites (e.g., JHH and Sibley)
Centralized Resources at Each Hospital
- CAPRES helps to navigate the research environment
- Investigator training
- CAPRES provides skilled research coordinators
- Local Research Review Committees (RRC) – local context
- CAPRES strengthens local research infrastructure and provides a new opportunity for these institutions to expand and coordinate research.
- CAPRES supports uniform policy and procedure via the Johns Hopkins IRB
- CAPRES works to engage and assist physician-investigators, at the community sites, through additional training, contracting, and access to the Johns Hopkins IRB processes, to initiate and perform research.
- CAPRES supports EBP and Research Nursing Council and nursing research through compliance certification and training, IRB processes, and development of nurses as principle nurse investigators.
Meet the CAPRES Leadership
Associate DeanMark Sebastian Sulkowski, M.D.
Professor of Medicine
Chief, Infectious Diseases Johns Hopkins Bayview
Senior Associate Dean for Clinical Trials and Capital Region Research
CAPRES DirectorJackie Lobien, BSN, RN, CCRP-CP
Director, Capital Region Research (CAPRES)
Jackie Lobien will be the primary anchor of the local resources provided under CAPRES as she acts as the liaison between Principal Investigators, co-investigators, research nurses, study coordinators and research offices at Johns Hopkins Medicine and the three CAPRES sites.
Jackie can be reached at JLobien1@jhmi.edu