Comprehensive Addiction and Pregnancy (CAP)
Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center is redesigning the Center for Addiction and Pregnancy (CAP) program. Moving forward, we will continue to provide comprehensive addiction, pregnancy and pediatric services by coordinating care with our existing outpatient clinics and telemedicine services. A collaboration with a community partner will support patients who need housing assistance.
Director: Denis Antoine, M.D.
Administrative Director: Dana Madden, M.A., L.C.P.C.
5200 Eastern Avenue
Mason F. Lord East Tower, 6th Floor
Baltimore, MD 21224
Directions to The Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
Phone 410-550-0051 / Fax 410-550-0060
Johns Hopkins Bayview offers a comprehensive, coordinated and multidisciplinary approach to support pregnant and parenting individuals with substance use disorder and substance-exposed newborns.
CAP is committed to the following goals:
- Reducing the number and severity of obstetric complications, including HIV infection
- Delivering healthier infants to mothers receiving treatment for substance use disorder
- Providing effective family planning services after pregnancy that are acceptable to the patient
- Promoting positive parent-child attachment and healthy child development and parenting
- Ensuring initial and long-term pediatric care to the infants and other children of program patients
Health care services include: substance use disorder treatment, psychiatry and mental health, pediatrics, obstetrics/gynecology, and family planning. When indicated, CAP offers buprenorphine and methadone for opioid use disorder.
Substance Use Disorder Treatment
Our clinical staff specializes in women's health and substance use disorder treatment and offers individual and group therapy. Case management, referrals and coordination with community resources are also provided. Group therapy is provided on a variety of topics, including relapse prevention, physical and psychological trauma, HIV education, drug education, parenting, and stress management. In addition, CAP offers couples counseling and family education. When indicated, methadone or buprenorphine medications may be given for the treatment of opioid use disorder.
Psychiatric Evaluation and Care
We offer psychiatric assessment and ongoing care to support the mental health needs of patients enrolled in the program. CAP fosters collaboration in patient care, teaching and research, and best practices for this special population.
Obstetric Evaluation and Care
Obstetric and prenatal care is coordinated in collaboration with obstetricians specializing in the care of pregnant individuals with substance use disorder. The labor and delivery suite is on the same campus and near to a state-of-the-art neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) for newborns requiring intensive medical treatment after birth.
Pediatric Health Care
Comprehensive pediatric care, developmental tracking and immunizations are provided to our patients' children from birth to age 21 years.
The program provides education and contraception to patients who wish to manage the timing of future pregnancies.
Director - Denis Antoine, M.D.
Administrative Director - Dana Madden, M.A., L.C.P.C.
Patient Care Manager - Buki Babagbemi
High-Risk Obstetrics Director - Lorraine Milio, M.D.
Midwifery Director - Adi Lazary-Dagan, D.N.P, C.N.M.
Pediatric Director - Lauren Jansson, M.D.
Staff Psychiatrists - Sandeep Nayak, M.D., David Mathai, M.D., Timur Suhail-Sindhu, M.D.
For more information or to make a referral for comprehensive addiction and pregnancy services, please call 410-550-0051.
- If you are in crisis, please dial 988 for the 24/7 suicide and crisis lifeline.
- If you are interested in an inpatient detoxification, please call the Addiction Medicine Unit (formerly CDU) at 410-550-1910.
- Dose verification for current ATS/CAP patients
- Clinic Hours: 7:30 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday call 410-550-0131
- After Hours: 7 p.m. to 7:30 a.m. Monday through Friday and all day Saturday and Sunday, call 410-550-0100 (Emergency Only)
- After hours callers must ask the operator for the Bayview- Addiction Treatment Services Dose Verification Service