The Johns Hopkins Cancer Rehabilitation Program aims to help cancer patients overcome the effects of cancer and treatment on daily function and quality of life. Whether you are newly diagnosed or long finished with treatment, our team can create a custom rehabilitation plan to address your symptoms and daily challenges.
We offer several convenient locations in Baltimore, including The Johns Hopkins Hospital, the Skip Viragh Outpatient Cancer Building and Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center. Our therapists and physicians are also available in several community clinics and hospitals in Maryland and at Sibley Memorial Hospital in Washington, D.C.
Cancer Rehabilitation: Why Choose Johns Hopkins
- Our multidisciplinary team includes rehabilitation physicians, therapists and psychologists experienced in working with cancer patients and their families.
- We use innovative, noninvasive technologies that allow us diagnose and treat lymphedema (swelling) in early stages, address speech and swallowing difficulties and help you regain strength and mobility to the highest degree possible.
- Thanks to our close partnership with the Johns Hopkins Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center, we can provide seamless transition from treatment to rehabilitation for patients with breast cancer, pancreatic cancer, head and neck cancer, leukemia and many other oncologic conditions.
Request An Appointment
Cancer-Related Symptoms and Conditions We Help You Manage
- Cognitive difficulties, including problems with memory, concentration, attention, learning new skills and concerns of patient safety
- Physical difficulties, including decline in balance, difficulty walking, poor endurance, muscle spasms, weakness, fatigue, or adjustment to wearing a prosthetic
- Emotional effects of cancer, including stress and anxiety
- Uncomfortable sensations, including pain, joint stiffness and reduced range of motion, and numbness in hands and feet (peripheral neuropathy)
Our Comprehensive Approach to Cancer Rehabilitation
It takes expertise and experience of several specialists to address all of your cancer-related symptoms and challenges. Our goal is to help you stay active and maintain the best quality of life possible before, during and years after chemotherapy, radiation therapy, surgery and other cancer treatments.
- Our rehabilitation physicians are experts in creating programs tailored to your needs and health goals.
- Our physical therapists can help you address fatigue, weakness, pain, lack of balance and similar symptoms related to cancer.
- Our occupational therapists focus on helping you participate in daily activities such as dressing and bathing, while strengthening your fine motor skills, saving energy, and improving memory and sight.
- Our speech-language therapists can help you manage speech, swallowing and communication problems that may result from cancer or cancer treatment.
- Our rehabilitation psychologists and neuropsychologists conduct cognitive, behavioral and psychological assessments to help you manage emotional and cognitive aspects of undergoing cancer treatment.
- Our prosthetists, orthotists and amputee rehabilitation experts can help you recover after limb loss or adjust to your new orthotic or prosthetic device.