The Charlotte R. Bloomberg Children's Center Building
Our state-of-the-art, 209-bed Charlotte R. Bloomberg Children’s Center building, which opened in 2012, is designed to provide you and your child with the latest advances in family-centered care. From its soaring lobby, large operating rooms equipped for the most technically complex procedures imaginable, spacious patient rooms and welcoming family facilities, the new building provides a hospital experience that matches the world-class medicine it affords.
Here are some statistics and facts about The Charlotte R. Bloomberg Children’s Center:
- 560 private rooms
- $1.1 billion construction project
- Main entrance is larger than a football field
- Covers 1.6 million square feet
- Located on a five-acre site
- Convenient, secure parking with pedestrian bridges into hospital
The Charlotte R. Bloomberg Children’s Center Building
209 private inpatient rooms, including:
- 120 acute care rooms
- 85 intensive care rooms
- Level 1 pediatric trauma service
- Pediatric burn services
- 10 pediatric ORs
- Multiple playrooms and a two-story indoor play area for patients
Pediatric Emergency Department
- Double the size of former pediatric ED
- Capable of sharing trauma capacity with adult ED
- The only state-designated trauma center for children in Maryland
- Annual visits expected to be more than 40,000
- Pediatric radiology/imaging services
Learn more about the advances in pediatric care and family support that are available to you and your child.
Throughout the state-of-the-art Charlotte R. Bloomberg Children's Center building you will find a number of features designed to provide you and your child with the most comfortable family-centered care possible. Our amenities include areas dedicated to entertainment, exercise and physical activity, as well as quiet contemplation and reflection. Learn more about the facilities and resources at the Johns Hopkins Children’s Center available to you, your child and your family.
- Fitness and Recreation Center - The Denton A. Cooley Center is located on campus off McElderry Street between Broadway and N. Caroline Street. Learn more about the Cooley Center.
- Meditation Rooms - Our meditation rooms provide an oasis for quiet reflection and prayer. They are open around the clock and located in several places around the hospital.
- Play Room - The David M. Rubenstein Building for Child Health Outpatient Services has play areas within the family lounges. Read more about our play areas.
Take A Virtual Tour
Many of our patient rooms are located in the Sheikh Zayed Tower and The Charlotte R. Bloomberg Children's Center. Have a look inside these state-of-the-art buildings.