What is nasal obstruction?
Nasal obstruction is not a disease but rather a symptom of an underlying disorder that causes the nasal passages to be blocked or obstructed. In children, some of the most common causes include enlarged adenoids and nasal allergies. Less common causes of nasal blockages are nasal polyps, tumors and congenital malformations of the nose.
- “Nasally” voice
- Nasal drainage
- Breathing through the mouth most of the time
- Recurrent sinus infections
- Nasal exam, including the use of endoscopes, X-rays, CT scans and/or other imaging tests
- Allergy testing, when indicated
- Medications(steroids and/or antibiotics)
When to Call for Help
Call your pediatrician if you notice any of the symptoms listed above in your child.