Bariatric surgery decreases the size of the stomach, the absorption of foods in the intestinal tract or both. Bariatric surgery aids weight loss, but is a major part of a new lifestyle and not a permanent way to keep weight off. Patients will be required to take nutritional supplements, exercise and follow up with periodic lab testing to ensure postoperative health. There are several possible procedures for bariatric surgery. We will work with you to decide which procedure is best for you.
Why Choose Johns Hopkins for Bariatric Surgery
- We partner with your local primary care provider and tailor the process to fit your life.
- Make your own schedule. We work at a pace that’s comfortable for you.
- A personal coordinator will guide you through each step from start to finish.
- We offer several surgical options for weight loss to mean your unique needs, including Roux-en-Y and gastric sleeve surgery.
- All bariatric surgeries at Johns Hopkins are minimally-invasive, and robotic or laparoscopic surgery may be an option for you.
- We offer an adolescent bariatric program.
- We are fully MBSAQIP-accredited, which independently recognizes quality improvement and nationwide surgical standards.
Deciding to have bariatric surgery is a life-changing decision, and we strongly encourage potential candidates to learn as much as they can prior to the procedure. Our information sessions will help you learn more about the program requirements, surgical weight-loss options and the insurance approval process.
We offer both online and in-person information sessions, one of which must be completed before an initial consultation. After finishing the information session, you will need to complete your health history packet and send it to our center. We will review your information and contact you to schedule your first appointment.
This 20-minute video includes an overview of our center and walks you through important details about procedures offered, as well as information on the insurance approval process. After viewing the video, please fill out the form below. A coordinator will contact you to guide you through our appointment process.