Throughout its 130 year history, Sibley has been an integral part of the DC community, providing our neighbors and residents from across the region exceptional care. Sibley was founded at the turn of the twentieth century to provide both high quality medical care for residents of DC and nursing education. The original hospital at North Capitol and Pierce Streets NW opened in 1895. By 1925, the facilities filled the entire block on North Capitol Street at Pierce and M Streets NW, where it continued to meet the growing health care needs of the community for the next 35 years.
As the nation’s capital grew, so too did Sibley, eventually outgrowing its first location. After acquiring land on Loughboro Road NW through congressional legislation in the 1950s, Sibley opened a new, larger facility on May 30, 1961, and later expanded and modernized in 1999. Since joining the Johns Hopkins Health System in 2010, Sibley further expanded the range of clinical services it offers, providing local access to the exceptional care delivered by Johns Hopkins Medicine’s leading experts in state-of-the-art facilities.
Sibley Memorial Hospital Historic Timeline
Woman’s Home Missionary Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Washington, DC founds the Lucy Webb Hayes National Training School for Deaconesses and Missionaries. Lucy Webb Hayes, wife of Rutherford B. Hayes, 19th president of the United States of America, serves as the first president of the Missionary Society.
First hospital building at North Capitol and Pierce Street NW is dedicated on October 19, 1894. William J. Sibley, a member of the Foundry Methodist Church, donated $10,000 for the construction of the hospital in memory of his wife, Dorothea Lowndes Sibley.
First hospital building opens in March.
Hospital facilities have expanded due to growing demand and now fill the entire block on North Capitol Street at Pierce and M Streets.
Sibley’s present site on Loughboro Road NW is acquired through congressional legislation.
New facility at Loughboro Road NW site opens on May 30.
Sibley adds 40,000 square feet of new space and renovates an additional 80,000 square feet, adding a new Emergency Department, operating rooms, a recovery suite and an outpatient procedure suite, as well as an expanded radiology department with a new MRI system.
The Sibley Renaissance building is added to house the Rehabilitation Center, including a warm-water therapeutic pool, skilled nursing and Alzheimer’s special care units, the , clinical services and support programs, and the office of the Sibley Senior Association.
Sibley Cancer Center opens, offering advanced care in a patient-friendly environment.
Campus addition with 260,000 square feet and additional parking is complete.
The trustees of Sibley Memorial Hospital established the to provide philanthropic support to the hospital. Philanthropy has been critical to Sibley’s ability to pursue new facilities and initiatives, provide nursing education and clinical training programs for staff, offer supportive services for patients, conduct research and provide community outreach programs.
Grand Oaks completes expansion, adding 35 new apartments.
Sibley Memorial Hospital joins The Johns Hopkins Health System Corporation, becoming part of Johns Hopkins Medicine.
Sibley adds Building A, its medical building, that includes physician offices, outpatient surgery and imaging centers, and a parking garage.
Sibley’s Radiation Oncology Center opens.
Sibley’s new Emergency Department opens.
Sibley adds Building B, its main patient tower. Building B includes 200 private patient rooms with accommodations for visitors, expanded medical oncology and inpatient oncology units, the two-story Women’s and Infants’ Services unit, an orthopaedic unit with a dedicated rehabilitation gym, as well as additional clinical spaces. Sidney Kimmel Cancer Center at Sibley opens.
Johns Hopkins Proton Therapy Center opens.