The Renaissance Skilled Nursing Facility is an interdisciplinary rehabilitation program tailored to help people become more independent. It serves as a bridge between acute care and unassisted living, providing a more focused and consistent level of support and attention than what would be available in a traditional rehabilitation setting.
Our mission is to provide safe, quality nursing care to the postoperative, orthopaedic and elderly population, respond to their needs in a timely manner and address their families’ concerns.
The Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Unit is a hospital-based 45-room facility governed by the same regulations as nursing homes in the District of Columbia. Under these regulations, daily physician visits are not required.
Visitors can see our residents daily between 11 a.m. and 8:30 p.m. For more information, please call (202) 243-5170.
Who Can Benefit From Skilled Nursing
Many of our patients come to us as the next step after a joint replacement or other surgical orthopaedic procedures performed at Sibley Memorial Hospital or have been referred for treatment for a specific issue that has interfered with daily activities.
Learn More About Our Services
The interdisciplinary team at The Renaissance works together to ensure you are treated in a holistic manner and can reach the level required to function safely after discharge.
You will work closely with:
- Physicians evaluate rehabilitation needs, prescribe and coordinate treatment and monitor progress.
- Registered nurses, licensed practical nurses and certified nursing assistants assist in bathing, dressing, walking to and from the bathroom and completing other daily living activities.
- Physical therapists focus on mobility tasks, such as walking, transferring from one surface to another and climbing stairs.
- Occupational therapists teach you to safely perform functional tasks, such as bathing, dressing and other activities of daily living.
- Speech therapists address communication and swallowing impairments.
- Rehabilitative aides provide assistance during the therapy sessions.
- Dietitians evaluate dietary needs and make diet recommendations.
- Pharmacists provide access to prescribed medications.
- Social workers and case coordinators help plan for discharge and follow-up services like homecare and equipment.
- Activity/recreation specialists organize and promote appropriate activities.
The Evaluation Process
After admission, you will meet with your rehabilitation team so they can evaluate your condition and level of function. You may be evaluated by your physical therapist, occupational therapist and speech therapist, if requested by your physician. The team will assess your needs, plan treatment and establish an estimated time frame for the care.
To receive the greatest benefit from the rehabilitation program, most residents stay a minimum of five days. Some residents achieve their goals in less time but most require more. The length of stay is based on progress.
What You Will Need to Bring
We ask that you wear street clothes during your stay. Most residents find that loose and comfortable casual or exercise clothes and rubber-soled shoes work best.
All of our residents are scheduled for therapy based on their evaluations and specific needs. Your therapy schedule will be posted in your room each day. The therapists focus on helping each resident increase their strength, flexibility and endurance across activities.
We strongly encourage our residents to complete as many tasks for themselves as possible, with the appropriate amount of assistance or supervision. These tasks may include walking to the dining room/lounge for lunch or dinner, visiting with family and friends, as well as making use of the recreational amenities available in the dining room/lounge. Active participation is vital to our patients’ successful recovery.
Your team meets twice each week to review your progress, discuss discharge plans and ensure you meet insurance criteria for skilled care. Patients and their family members are welcome to attend the meeting.
As with anywhere else at Sibley, at the Renaissance we strive to provide as many of the comforts of home as possible. While the therapy may benefit your body, keeping your mind active and mood positive are important elements for recovery.
Residents receive a menu each day to choose the next day’s meals. Other choices are available from alternate and gourmet menus. Snacks and drinks are always available throughout the stay.
Additional Services and Amenities
- Pastoral care visits
- Recreational activities including large screen TV, VCR/videos, puzzles, books and magazines
- Microwave and a refrigerator stocked with juices and snacks
- Hairdresser (call 202-537-4247)
- Pet Partner program
Admission to the Skilled Nursing Facility is possible when residents meet Medicare and/or commercial insurance criteria. Respite care for residents will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Medicare and/or insurance reimbursement is based on a resident’s progress and their active participation in rehabilitation activities. To ensure that our residents are meeting Medicare or insurance criteria for continued coverage, their need for daily skilled services are continually reviewed. Skilled services mean you require a licensed person to train, teach or care for you on a daily basis. This includes a physical or occupational therapist or nurse.