Sibley Childbirth Services
Thank you for choosing Sibley Memorial Hospital. We are here to help you have the best possible birth experience.
Pre-register to Have your Baby
To streamline your admission to the hospital, please pre-register by completing a pre-registration form before your eighth month of pregnancy.
For questions related to breastfeeding or to rent a breast pump, call the Warm Line at 202-243-2321 or email email@example.com.
For all birth certificate related questions call Health Information Management at 202-537-4088. For information regarding epidural anesthesia in labor please review Anesthesia Services.
All tours and classes taught by Childbirth Education are currently held virtually. To view and register for our offerings, visit Events.Sibley.org.
Sibley's Childbirth Education Department recommends that expectant parents take a class during the seventh month of pregnancy or earlier. We recommend that you take childbirth classes during the seventh or eighth month of your pregnancy (any series should end about this time as well). Classes are in high demand and fill up quickly, so please make sure to register ahead of time and as soon as classes are posted to the Calendar of Events. In general, class listings are posted 4 to 6 weeks in advance of the class date.
Please be advised that there are no drop-ins. Due to the seat limitations for each class, we will only accept registered participants. Online registration through our website is required for all classes and tours.
For inquiries related to childbirth classes, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Classes and Orientation
Sign up for an orientation and register for classes and parent groups. You can search by event name or by selecting Women's and Infants' Services under Department. Explore our offerings on our events site.
Review our registration and cancellation information prior to registering.
This class will teach you skills, such as bathing, diapering, comforting a crying baby and recognizing signs of illness, as well as coping methods for the first few weeks of parenthood.
This pre-natal breastfeeding class teaches the art of breastfeeding to expectant parents. Learn about prenatal preparation, getting started, understanding your baby’s cues, timing feedings, expressing and storing milk, bottles and your breastfed baby, and more.
This class is designed to prepare families for their first labor and birth experience. This childbirth class provides evidence-based information on the physiological and emotional aspects of labor and delivery through lecture, discussion, video and hands-on practice. Our goal is to increase your confidence and reduce anxiety about the birthing process.
This course includes hands-on CPR instruction for infants according to American Heart Association standards, as well as Car Seat Safety, Back 2 Sleep, Childproofing and more. The class is designed for parents and childcare providers. This course is not a certification course.
Can’t fit a class into your busy schedule? Try our online class option!
This eight-chapter program is an interactive web-based class that uses videos, personal birth stories, animations, activities and games to teach all the essential information parents need to know to prepare for their birth. Learn more.
Maternity Orientations are designed to help expecting families plan for having their baby at Sibley Memorial Hospital. There is a non-refundable $7 administration fee to register.
Class Registration and Cancellation
We are here to help you have the best possible birth experience. Before you contact the Childbirth Education department, please read through this list of information. If you have additional questions that are not answered by the information below, please email Childbirth Education at email@example.com.
Payment is due at the time of registration and can be made only by credit card through our secure website.
Once registration is complete, a confirmation letter/receipt will be automatically send to the email you have provided during the registration process. (If you have not received a confirmation, please check your spam folder before contacting us.)
Read our childbirth education class descriptions.
- Class may be cancelled for any reason 7 days prior to class date for a refund of class fees. Please note a $15 processing fee will be assessed for each cancelled ticket.
- Full refunds are given if classes are cancelled and not rescheduled by the Childbirth Education Office due to insufficient enrollment, overbooked enrollment or inclement weather.
- We will be happy to accommodate class transfer requests at least 2 business days prior to the class date.
- Childbirth Education cannot guarantee class availability should a class transfer be requested.
- Expectant moms placed on bed rest may choose a credit towards the online class.
- Online classes are nonrefundable for any reason.
- The Childbirth Education Department is not responsible for participants’ no-shows or missed classes. A make-up class is not guaranteed and may be granted pending space availability.
Sibley's Childbirth Education Department does not submit to insurance companies for coverage of or reimbursement for our Childbirth Education classes. As there are no medical, procedure, diagnosis, CPT, or ICD codes associated with our classes, we cannot directly bill insurance.
The Childbirth Education Department is able to provide the following information:
Your confirmation of class payment (which you receive via email upon registration)
- Our Childbirth Education tax ID #530-19-6602
- The signature of the class instructor (MUST be requested at least 3 days prior to the class date), and/or
- Confirmation of your attendance in a class. To request reimbursement, you are responsible for submitting the appropriate documents directly to your insurance company following the conclusion of the class. We strongly recommend that you call your insurance company well in advance of your class date and inquire about what information, instructor qualifications and/or documentation is necessary, as each insurance company maintains different requirements. Waiting until after the class is complete may delay our ability to provide the information and documentation you need.
Questions regarding Childbirth classes or registration should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 202-537-4076.