The research faculty of the Cornea, Cataract and External Disease Division at the Johns Hopkins Wilmer Eye Institute are engaged in research aimed at improving how corneal disease is diagnosed, treated and managed.
Areas of Research
- Dr. Divya Srikumaran is researching the burden of contact lenses fittings for patients with keratoconus and similar ocular diseases.
Corneal Collagen Cross-linking
- Dr. Uri Soiberman is exploring the outcomes of this minimally-invasive therapy that aims to slow down or stop the progression of the corneal deformation due to keratoconus. Learn more about corneal collagen cross-linking.
- Dr. Albert Jun is researching cell-based approaches for corneal transplantation.
- Dr. Christina Prescott is engaged in research relating to pediatric corneal surgery, to determine which surgical modifications and post-operative management strategies are most successful in pediatric corneal transplantation.
Ebola Eye Disease
- Dr. Allen Eghrari is co-leading the PREVAIL III eye substudy, the largest Ebola eye study.
- Dr. Albert Jun is exploring the cellular causes and non-surgical treatments for Fuchs Corneal Dystrophy.
- Dr. Allen Eghrari is researching the epidemiology of Fuchs Dystrophy and novel approaches to its treatment.
- Dr. Shameema Sikder is working to establish an eye bank in Bangladesh. Learn more about her research.
- Yassine Daoud, M.D. is exploring the pathology and psychology of keratoconus and age-related macular degeneration in order to develop new therapies.
- Dr. Albert Jun, Dr. Shukti Chakravarti and Dr. Uri Soiberman are leading research of the cellular and genetic causes of keratoconus. Learn more about Dr. Chakravarti's lab.
Lasers in Eye Surgery
- Dr. Yassine Daoud is exploring outcomes and additional uses of lasers in ocular surgery.
Ocular Surface Disease and Dry Eye
- Dr. Esen Akpek and her team is exploring the association of dry eye disease and Sjögren’s syndrome. Read more about the group's research.
- Dr. Shameema Sikder is exploring the use of technology to improve surgical education, beginning with applications in cataract surgery and partial-thickness cornea transplant procedures (DMEK).
- Dr. Oliver Schein is developing cornea replacement tissue and related ocular materials through materials science and engineering approaches, such as leveraging stem cells, biomaterials and tissue-derived scaffolds to regenerate corneal endothelium.
Technology in Ophthalmology
- Dr. Allen Eghrari is focusing on mobile technology and ophthalmology (development of portable eye exams and validation of these mobile resources).
Associate Professor of Medicine
Bendann Family Professor of Ophthalmology
Director of Ocular Surface Disease and Dry Eye Clinic
Chair of Ophthalmology. Howard County General Hospital
Chief, Division of Cornea, Cataract and External Eye Diseases
Maurice E. Langham, Ph.D., Professor of Ophthalmology
Burton and Miriam Grossman Professor of Ophthalmology
Vice Chair for Quality and Safety, Wilmer Eye Institute
Director, Center of Excellence for Ophthalmic Surgical Education and Training
Chief, Wilmer Eye Institute - Odenton
Director, Ophthalmology Residency Program