I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Johns Hopkins Performs The World's First-Ever Penis and Scrotum Transplant
The Johns Hopkins reconstructive surgery team that performed the country’s first bilateral arm transplant in a wounded warrior has successfully performed the first total penis and scrotum transplant in the world.
In the News
- ‘Whole Again’: A Vet Maimed by an I.E.D. Receives a Transplanted Penis
- Wounded soldier receives historic penis transplant
- Here's how surgeons performed the world's first penis and scrotum transplant
- Hopkins celebrates first penis transplant
- Hands, faces and a penis: Monumental transplants from recent history in Baltimore and beyond
- Johns Hopkins performs world's first 'total' penile transplant, on veteran wounded by IED blast
- First-Ever Penis and Scrotum Transplant Makes History at Johns Hopkins
- The world's first penis and scrotum transplant
Worlds First Total Penile and Scrotum Transplant | Johns Hopkins Medicine
On March 26, 2018 a team of nine plastic surgeons and two urological surgeons at Johns Hopkins Medicine performed the world’s first total penile and scrotum transplant. In a 14-hour surgery, the entire penis, scrotum (without testicles) and partial abdominal wall of a deceased donor was transplanted to a veteran wounded in Afghanistan. This animation illustrates the transplantation process.
To request an appointment and learn more about penile transplantation, contact us at 443-997-1583.
The penile transplant project is considered a clinical trial and is made possible because of contributions from a team of specialists, including psychiatrists, psychologists, urologists, plastic surgeons, anesthesiologists, a nurse transplant coordinator, hematologists, infectious disease specialists, immunosuppressive therapy experts, dermatopathologists and bioethicists. (IRB#NA_00089306)
Request an Appointment
Already a Patient?
Traveling for Care?
Whether you're crossing the country or the globe, we make it easy to access world-class care at Johns Hopkins.