In whatever capacity or position you join us, you ultimately contribute to our high level of patient care. A major element of our benefit program is commitment to the health and wellness of our employees. We are proud to offer a comprehensive benefits plan that includes a wide range of benefits designed to provide a quality work-life balance.
Time Off Benefits
- Paid Annual Leave (PAL) — may be used for vacation, illness, or personal reasons. Full-time employees are eligible for up to 15 days in the first year, 20 days years 1 through 5, 25 days years 5 through 15, and 30 days for over 15 years of service. Part-time regular employees receive prorated PAL hours in proportion to the full-time PAL schedule, based on number of hours worked per pay period.
- Holidays — Suburban Hospital offers seven paid legal holidays each year to full-time and part-time regular employees. The recognized holidays are New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. In addition to our six recognized holidays, benefit-eligible employees also have a floating holiday they may use any time during the year.
Health and Welfare Benefits
- Health, Dental, Prescription, and Vision Insurance Coverage — All full-time and part-time regular employees are eligible to participate in one of two health insurance plan offerings. Currently, Suburban Hospital offers one Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) option and one Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) option. There is a Health Insurance Courtesy Discount with the PPO plans for services provided by Suburban Hospital that are not covered by insurance.
- Life Insurance — For full-time and part-time regular employees, Suburban Hospital provides term life insurance equal to one times base salary; this includes accidental death and dismemberment insurance. There is an option to purchase additional life insurance.
- Long Term Disability Insurance — For full-time and part-time regular employees, Suburban Hospital provides Long Term Disability insurance for qualified circumstances after three months of employment and after three months of disability. Employees are eligible for 60% of monthly salary benefits up to $10,000 per month.
Financial Planning Benefits
- Tax Deferred Annuity Plan 403(b) — All employees are eligible to participate. Employees who participate may contribute a percentage of their gross income on a pre-tax basis. Suburban Hospital will match an employee’s contribution with $.50 per dollar, up to 2% of annual gross pay. The match is credited to the hospital's Cash Balance Retirement Pension plan, if eligible to participate in the pension plan.
- Cash Balance Retirement Pension Plan — This program is available to all employees after they have worked 1,000 or more hours in a calendar year. Suburban Hospital contributes 4% of employees' gross income for each credited year of service. Employees are 100% vested after three years of service. The match from the 403(b) plan is credited to an employee’s pension plan account.
Other Valuable Benefits
- Employee Assistance Program — All employees are eligible to receive confidential personal and financial counseling as well as legal referral services, for themselves and their immediate family. This is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Educational Assistance Program — Full-time employees are eligible to receive up to $5,000 annually in reimbursement after three months of employment, for all eligible coursework. Part-time regular employees are eligible to receive up to $2,500 annually under the same conditions. Reimbursement is for tuition and related expenses.
- Scholarships — Because of generous donor support, Suburban Hospital awards thousands of dollars through our Suburban Scholars and Casey Scholars programs.
- Free Parking and Metrorail Subsidy — All employees are entitled to free parking in designated areas of the hospital parking lots, local garages, and satellite lots with shuttle service provided to and from the hospital. Discounted Metrorail passes through the Fare Share program are available with shuttle service from the Bethesda Metro station on the Red Line.
- Flexible Spending Account Program
- Voluntary Short-term Disability Insurance (payroll deducted)
- Voluntary Supplemental Life Insurance (payroll deducted)
- Adoption Reimbursement Program
- Bereavement Leave
- Hospital Cafeteria Discounts
- Discount Movie Tickets
- Discounts at Area Fitness Centers
- Wellness Programs
- Child Care Counseling Services
- NIH Federal Credit Union
- Discounted Mortgage Services
- Discounted Auto Insurance
- Legal Resources Plan (payroll deducted)