I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
How to Apply
There are four steps in the application process for the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Please be sure to read this section carefully, note the deadlines listed and follow the links for more specific information.
Step 1: Admissions Prerequisites and Requirements
Make sure that you meet the admissions prerequisites and requirements and technical standards.
Step 2: Complete the AMCAS application.
Applications for admission begin with the common application submitted online at American Medical College Application Service. AMCAS Applications for Fall must be received by AMCAS no later than October 15. If you have questions about AMCAS, please do not contact the Johns Hopkins Office of Admissions. Instead, contact the AAMC Section for Student Services at 2501 M Street NW, LBBY 26, Washington, D.C. 10037-1300, or call 202-828-0600.
Please Note: We do not have an early decision program.
Step 3: Complete the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine secondary application.
In addition to the AMCAS application, the process includes a secondary application specific to the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. Once we have received your verified application from AMCAS, you will automatically be sent a link to the secondary application.
Applications for admission will not be processed until you have submitted your online secondary application. Important notes:
- Any omissions will delay the processing of your application
- Include your AMCAS ID number on the secondary application
- The M.D. secondary application deadline is November 1. The M.D./Ph.D. secondary application deadline is November 1.
Secondary application fee waivers are granted to applicants who have been approved for the primary AMCAS fee waiver. Please refer to the instructions in the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine online secondary application. Fee waivers are not allowed without the required AMCAS approval form.
Step 4: Submit letters of recommendation.
Letters of recommendation for both the M.D. program and the M.D./Ph.D. program must be submitted through the AMCAS Letter Service.
Any one of the following will satisfy the letters of recommendation requirement:
- Committee letter (required if your college/university has an officially designated committee or advisor). Authored by a pre-health committee or advisor and intended to represent your institution's evaluation of you. A committee letter may or may not include additional letters written in support of your application.
- Letter packet: A packet or set of letters assembled and distributed by your institution, often by the institution's career center.
- Faculty letters (required if the college/university you attended does not have a committee or advisor). These must include:
- Two (2) letters from faculty members in science departments who have taught you, AND
- One (1) letter from a non-science faculty member who has taught you
- In addition to those letters required for application to the MD Program, a minimum of two additional letters of recommendation are required for all MD-PhD applicants (a total of five letters). These letters are typically from faculty with whom the applicant has done research.
Note: If you have a graduate degree or significant full-time work experience of a year or more, you are also required to send a letter from the individual who supervised your work. If you held more than one position of at least one year, include a letter from each direct supervisor.