Orthopaedic medicine provides highly specialized evaluation and treatment of the entire musculoskeletal system including bones, ligaments, tendons, joints, muscles and nerves — everything that allows you to move, work and be active.
Orthopaedic conditions are often successfully treated nonsurgically using treatments like physical therapy that are designed to ease pain, restore movement, delay progress of musculoskeletal disease and prevent injury. Surgery is an important alternative for conditions that are not amenable or responsive to nonoperative treatment. But whatever orthopaedic needs you have, Sibley provides a comprehensive approach to your care.
Tour Sibley's Orthopaedics Unit
Sibley Is the Recognized D.C.-area Leader in Orthopaedics
- A leading national healthcare research organization rated Sibley’s orthopaedic services among the best in the nation.
- Sibley is ranked among the top 100 hospital programs in the country for hip replacement and is a benchmark hospital for successful hip replacement surgeries, according to HCIA.
- Over 60 arthroscopic surgeries are performed each week at Sibley — over 3,000 surgeries each year.
- Each year, thousands of D.C.-area residents receive their non-surgical orthopaedic care, including physical therapy, exercise and other rehabilitation services, from Sibley’s Center for Rehabilitation Medicine.
Accessing Orthopaedic Care
Because orthopaedic injuries are often acute, prompt evaluation and treatment is often sought through the emergency room. Our emergency room physicians are experienced and well-trained to evaluate and triage your injury so that you receive timely and expert care.
In a nonemergency situation, evaluation and treatment is best provided in the privacy and comfort of your orthopaedist’s office. We can help you identify expert orthopaedists by calling our Physician Referral Hotline at 1-855-JHM-3939 (1-855-546-3939).
Orthopaedic surgeons evaluate and manage problems of the musculoskeletal system including:
- Diagnosis of your injury or disorder
- Treatment using medication, exercise, surgery and other treatment plans
Sibley Memorial Hospital is the area leader in implementing advanced medical technology in its operating suites, including high-definition video technology, robotics and minimally invasive surgical techniques. Experienced surgical personnel work together with leading surgeons to provide consistent, excellent surgical care.
Contact the Joseph and Alma Gildenhorn Institute for Bone and Joint Health at Sibley Memorial Hospital at 202-660-MOVE (6683).
For information about joint replacement pre-operative classes, contact Nurse Navigator Suzanne Honchalk, R.N., MSN, ONC at email@example.com or at 202-537-4144.
The Joseph and Alma Gildenhorn Institute for Bone and Joint Health at Sibley Memorial Hospital is pleased to present informative, free seminars with orthopaedic specialists. Check the event calendar for details.