We make lifelong friends during our time at Hopkins. Thanks to our Department of Pediatrics we have many opportunities to socialize with our colleagues outside of the hospital and have some fun! Full service coverage is provided for almost every event by our fellows and attendings, so everyone can attend!
- Crab Feast: The last night of the year with the New Interns! Literally a crab FEAST complete with a fun video from the rising 3rd years, a good-bye to the departing 3rd years and a special welcome to the Interns
- Love Fest: This is the last Grand-Rounds of the year where awards are given out and the Seniors make a good-bye video… often tear provoking as it is hard to see good friends move on
- Department Picnic in the fall: with group sports activities, great food and fun
- Mid-Winter Formal Dance: Sponsored by the department and a great excuse to pull out an old fancy dress, eat great food and dance with residents, significant others and attendings
- Weekend Retreats: Each class gets to go on a weekend retreat at a location of their choice with just their class. There is no agenda other than for residents to spend time together with spouses, significant others, and children. Residents are covered from Friday night through-Sunday night. It is paid for by our department, we usually go to a large beach house right on the ocean. Don’t plan on sleeping too much…and it is a don’t miss event
- Dinners: Dr. Shilkofski and several other faculty open their homes to us at various times for a wonderful dinner and a chance to get to know them and each other on a more personal level. Many faculty host dinners for the residents they work with on the general ward teams and in the continuity settings
- Happy Hours: There are happy hours sponsored by Johns Hopkins and we have our own that we arrange for our own department
- Other things: Cooley Center gym-located right on the main campus and available to all pediatric residents for free: Features include a swimming pool; tennis courts; a full-sized gymnasium for basketball and volleyball; an elevated jogging track; six courts for handball, racquetball and squash; and weight, sauna, whirlpool and locker room.
Where We Live (and Play)
Explore this interactive map and see some of the places our residents live, as well as surrounding parks, neighborhoods, and other favorite spots around Baltimore.
Campus Life at Johns Hopkins
As a student, resident, fellow, researcher or other learner at Johns Hopkins, you can take advantage of many resources to help manage your day-to-day life on the School of Medicine campus.
Snapshots from Resident Events
An Inside Perspective on Resident Life
A Pediatric Resident's Guide to Living in Baltimore
Johns Hopkins Residency: An Inside Perspective