The Editorial Services office supports the research mission of the Johns Hopkins Department of Orthopaedic Surgery by helping our faculty members, residents and fellows publish the results of their basic science (laboratory) and clinical (patient) studies.
Very few academic departments have a service entirely dedicated to publication support. The existence of this robust service demonstrates our commitment to this critical facet of the professional life of our faculty and staff members, as well as to patients, who are the ultimate beneficiaries of such research.
During planning and writing, we can:
- Provide advice during study design to ensure a publishable paper.
- Offer assistance with literature searches and obtaining sources.
- Share guidance in writing a scientific manuscript.
During manuscript preparation, we can:
- Format manuscripts and references according to publisher requirements.
- Edit manuscript for clarity, accuracy and scientific convention.
- Assist with publication forms (e.g., permissions, copyright).
During and after submission, we can:
- Submit manuscripts and all necessary forms.
- Coordinate responses to peer reviewer comments.
- Work with publishers to ensure timely publication.
Rachel L. Box, M.S.Instructor of Orthopaedic Surgery Director of Editorial Services, Johns Hopkins Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
Jenni Weems, M.S.Editor Jenni Weems has a master’s degree in publications from Pace University. Before joining the department in 2012, she worked for a trade association in Washington, D.C. Jenni is a certified Editor in the Life Sciences.
Kerry Kennedy, B.A.Copy Editor Kerry Kennedy has a bachelor’s degree in English from Kenyon College. She served as an AmeriCorps volunteer and later as a legal writer at an immigration law firm. She is eager to help authors contribute to the body of knowledge in orthopaedics.