The Editorial Services office supports the research mission of the Johns Hopkins Department of Orthopaedic Surgery by helping our faculty members, residents and fellows publish the results of their basic science (laboratory) and clinical (patient) studies.
Very few academic departments have a service entirely dedicated to publication support. The existence of this robust service demonstrates our commitment to this critical facet of the professional life of our faculty and staff members, as well as to patients, who are the ultimate beneficiaries of such research.
During planning and writing, we can:
- Provide advice during study design to ensure a publishable paper.
- Offer assistance with literature searches and obtaining sources.
- Share guidance in writing a scientific manuscript.
During manuscript preparation, we can:
- Format manuscripts and references according to publisher requirements.
- Edit manuscript for clarity, accuracy and scientific convention.
- Assist with publication forms (e.g., permissions, copyright).
During and after submission, we can:
- Submit manuscripts and all necessary forms.
- Coordinate responses to peer reviewer comments.
- Work with publishers to ensure timely publication.
Rachel Box, M.S., E.L.S.
Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
Director of Editorial Services
Rachel has an M.S. in Biomedical Writing and has led the Editorial Services group since 2014. In addition to being a board-certified Editor in the Life Sciences, Rachel is an experienced teacher of scholarly writing. She guest-lectures on the topic of biomedical writing and creates and delivers educational sessions that help faculty and residents become more effective communicators and prolific authors.
Denise Di Salvo, M.S.
Editor Denise has an M.S. in Kinesiology and has been a medical editor since 2002. Before becoming an editor, she was an exercise physiologist for an NHL team, Kaiser Permanente Division of Research and the Sport Science Division at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs. She has been with Editorial Services since 2021.
Sandy Crump, M.P.H.
Editor Denise has an M.P.H. in Public Health Policy and Administration. Before joining the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery in 2021, she was an editor at the American College of Physicians, Jhpiego, the University of Michigan and Health Affairs journal.