I Want To...
I Want To...
Find Research Faculty
Enter the last name, specialty or keyword for your search below.
School of Medicine
I Want to...
Conditions We Treat: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Carpal tunnel syndrome is a condition of nerve entrapment caused by the narrowing of the tunnel surrounding the tissues inside the bones of your wrist, inflaming the median nerve and surrounding tissues. The median nerve gives feeling to your thumb, and index, middle and ring fingers. People engaged in repetitive hand motions throughout their day may develop carpal tunnel syndrome.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: Why Choose Johns Hopkins
The experts at Johns Hopkins treat the range of neurological problems from the common to the very rare, including carpal tunnel syndrome. More expertise ensures accurate diagnosis and an appropriate treatment plan.
For treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome, you will benefit from our multidisciplinary approach, with insights from neurology, neurosurgery, occupational therapy and orthopaedics.
Our holistic approach addresses the total well-being of the patient. You can rely on our experience, successful surgical outcome record and access to quality hospital care.
Request an Appointment:
Treatment for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Depending on the severity of your carpal tunnel syndrome, your physician may recommend the following:
- Occupational therapy to loosen the tendons in the hands and wrists
- Nonsteroidal-anti-inflammatory (NSAID) drugs, such as aspirin, ibuprofen, and other nonprescription pain relievers to help reduce pain and inflammation
- Splints to help immobilize the wrist
- Resting the hands and wrist for longer periods throughout the day
- If more conservative approaches do not help the pain and dysfunction, your doctor may recommend surgery such as carpal tunnel release to relieve pressure on the nerve.
Learn more about carpal tunnel syndrome.
Request an Appointment
Adult Neurology: 410-955-9441
Pediatric Neurology: 410-955-4259
Adult Neurosurgery: 410-955-6406
Pediatric Neurosurgery: 410-955-7337
Already a Patient?
Traveling for Care?
Whether you're crossing the country or the globe, we make it easy to access world-class care at Johns Hopkins.