Welcome from Dr. Chirag R. Parikh
Welcome to the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Division of Nephrology website. Our mission is to: (1) provide exceptional personalized care for patients with acute and chronic kidney diseases, hypertension, end-stage renal disease and kidney transplantation; (2) foster innovative basic, clinical and translational research to generate new knowledge and advance treatment of kidney diseases; and (3) provide outstanding educational programs for students, fellows, clinicians and the community.
The division is made up of an amazing group of people who together provide cutting-edge patient care, maintain the country’s top training programs in kidney disease and transplantation and conduct more externally funded research than most places. It is difficult to summarize all the important work of the division, but to start, the division:
- Has a total of 84 faculty, fellows and research and administrative staff members
- Is primarily based at our two campuses in Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins Hospital and Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
- Is a major referral center for advanced chronic kidney disease, glomerulonephritis, HIV-related kidney disease, kidney disease due to autoimmune disorders and inherited diseases of the kidney
- Provided care for over 10,000 clinic and telemedicine visits in 2020
- Supervises over 60,000 outpatient dialysis sessions and 6,700 inpatient dialysis patients annually
- Conducts over 1,000 visits annually by division faculty at the Kidney Transplant Center, including donor evaluation and recipient follow-up visits
- Has a very active research program that is committed to finding new ways to treat kidney disease, as well as investigating its underlying causes
- Had over 180 publications in medical journals from division faculty in 2020
I am honored to serve as director of this outstanding division. If you have questions or comments, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Chirag R. Parikh, MD, PhD
Ronald Peterson Professor of Medicine
Director, Division of Nephrology, Johns Hopkins University