Characterize the longitudinal trajectories of patients infected with SARS-CoV-2 to inform research questions and clinical care.
Understand the factors that underlie the pathobiology of COVID-19, the progression to severe illness or death, and the effectiveness of therapeutic interventions in order to provide personalized care to patients infected with SARS-CoV-2.
Improve the care of patients infected with SARS-CoV-2 by learning about COVID-19 pathobiology, likelihood of disease progression and impact of specific therapeutic interventions. We aim to provide this information to clinicians, patients and family members at the point of care.
COVID-19 Research and Precision Medicine
The research aims that inform us on how to best care for patients include:
COVID-19 Disease Trajectory
Develop prediction models of COVID-19 severe disease and death that can be used at the point of care to inform treatment decisions, resource allocation and discussions with patients and families.
Effectiveness of Therapeutic Interventions
Examine the impact of different treatment interventions on COVID-19 outcomes.
Developed by Our Team
COVID-19 Precision Medicine Analytics Platform Registry (JH-CROWN)
Johns Hopkins has created the JH-CROWN registry to gather information on all of the patients who have been seen at our health system with suspected or confirmed COVID-19. It will be used to learn about the pathobiology of COVID-19 and to better understand patient outcomes.
COVID Inpatient Risk Calculator (CIRC)
Severe COVID-19 Adaptive Risk Predictor (SCARP)
The COVID-19 adaptive risk predictor (SCARP) is a tool that calculates the 1-day and 7-day risk of progression to severe disease or death for adult patients (18 years and older) who are hospitalized with COVID-19.
Selected Sample of Peer-Reviewed Manuscripts
- Racial and Ethnic Discrepancy in Pulse Oximetry and Delayed Identification of Treatment Eligibility Among Patients With COVID-19
- Patient Trajectories Among Persons Hospitalized for COVID-19 : A Cohort Study
- Development of Severe COVID-19 Adaptive Risk Predictor (SCARP), a Calculator to Predict Severe Disease or Death in Hospitalized Patients With COVID-19
- Real-World Effectiveness Of Remdesivir In Adults Hospitalized With Covid-19
- Sex and gender differences in testing, hospital admission, clinical presentation, and drivers of severe outcomes from COVID-19
- The Effectiveness of High-Flow Nasal Cannula in Coronavirus Disease 2019 Pneumonia: A Retrospective Cohort Study
- IgM anti-ACE2 autoantibodies in severe COVID-19 activate complement and perturb vascular endothelial function
Patient Care for COVID-19
The Johns Hopkins biocontainment unit is a state-of-the art-facility designed to care for patients affected by high-consequence infectious diseases such as COVID-19. The unit is a multidisciplinary collaboration of experts from across the Johns Hopkins Health System and around the world. Find out more about the biocontainment unit.