The Junior Faculty Leadership Program (JFLP) is a voluntary cohort program offered by the Office of Faculty Development (OFD) designed for School of Medicine faculty members who are at the level of Instructor or Assistant Professor and with less than 4 years at rank. The goal of this program is to provide junior faculty with the opportunity to build professional and leadership skills and to think proactively about their future roles as leaders in academic medicine.
The program consists of 8 two and a half hour sessions held from January to June on the East Baltimore campus. We have redesigned the program from previous years to actively engage participants.
We are currently accepting applications for the 2019 cohort through October 21st.
Who May Apply?
School of Medicine Department Directors may nominate or encourage people to apply, but a self-nomination is also welcome. The cohort group design of this program is meant to create a learning community that enhances course activities by building collegial relationships among faculty that will enhance their experience over time.
What if I have to miss a session?
Many of the sessions will require team activities. Please do not apply to the program unless you are confident that your schedule will allow you to attend all the sessions. When you must miss a session due to illness or an emergency, you may have the opportunity to audit the session with a future cohort.
Past Session Topics
- What You Need to Know to Succeed at Johns Hopkins & The Unwritten Rules for Success
- Highly Effective Habits of Successful Clinicians
- Highly Effective Habits of Successful Laboratory Based Researchers
- Mapping out your career: Preparing Your Individual Development Plan (IDP)
- Making the Most of the Mentor/Mentee Experience
- Using and Understanding of MBTI Personality Type to Be More Influential
- Negotiation: An Essential Skill to Master Career in Academic Medicine
- Communicating in a Diverse Environment
- Ramping-up Your Scholarly Productivity: Get those Papers Out the Door!
- Funds to support your scholarly work: (Foundation, Corporate, and Federal)
- Clinical Databases and Scholarship
- Building Resilience, Empowering & Promoting Yourself
Office of Faculty Development
Johns Hopkins University - School of Medicine
Location: 2024 East Monument Street
Baltimore, MD 21287