A new pilot benefit available to Johns Hopkins Health System employees in calendar year 2020
As an employee of the Johns Hopkins Health System, your health is important to us. That’s why for calendar year 2020, the Johns Hopkins Health System will once again offer employees and their adult dependents (ages 18 years or older) an opportunity to participate in an innovative primary care practice called Direct Primary Care.
Located on the Howard County General Hospital campus in Columbia, Maryland, Direct Primary Care offers longer in-person appointment times, same-day appointments and extended office hours. Members can also choose to connect with a Direct Primary Care provider through video visits*, virtual consultations, MyChart messages and an after-hours phone line, when appropriate.
The Direct Primary Care practice is located on the Howard County General Hospital campus in the Medical Arts Building (MAB):
11085 Little Patuxent Parkway, Suite 103
Columbia, Maryland 21044
Our Direct Primary Care providers are eager to become your new primary care provider. As a member of Johns Hopkins Community Physicians, the Direct Primary Care providers deliver personalized care that addresses your needs so that you can maintain your health on your time.
Our Primary Care Services
Direct Primary Care offers additional benefits to your selected Employer Health Program insurance plan. As part of this benefit, select primary care services are available through Direct Primary Care for no additional charge to your selected EHP insurance plan, including:
- 8 office or video visits, with no co-payment required
- 1 annual physical
- 1 flu vaccine
- 6 rapid tests (flu, strep, urine, pregnancy, A1c)
- 1 EKG
- Unlimited telephone consultation
- Unlimited direct access through MyChart portal and phone
- Unlimited blood draws and urine collections
- Unlimited prior authorizations of medications
- Unlimited care coordination
Just like at other JHCP practices, the Direct Primary Care providers are there to support your care needs that extend beyond these in-office services. If needed, our Direct Primary Care providers will work with you to find additional specialists who are covered by your EHP insurance plan, such as radiologists, gynecologists and endocrinologists.
Direct Primary Care is available to all Johns Hopkins Health System employees, as well as adult dependents age 18 years or older. DPC is NOT available for JHU employees at this time.
Johns Hopkins Health System employees include:
- Howard County General Hospital
- Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
- Johns Hopkins Community Physicians
- Johns Hopkins Health Care
- Johns Hopkins Health System
- Johns Hopkins Home Care Group
- Johns Hopkins Hospital
- Johns Hopkins Medicine International
- Sibley Memorial Hospital
- Suburban Hospital
All individuals who elect to participate in Direct Primary Care will be asked to agree and adhere to the following participation requirements:
- You understand that DPC is not an insurance plan; it is an additional benefit to your EHP insurance plan. DPC covers certain care services fully. Other services may be covered by your EHP plan and may require a cost.
- Your former primary care provider (PCP), if you have one, will be replaced by one of the two Direct Primary Care providers: Norman Dy, M.D., or Carolyn Le, D.N.P.
- You will use the DPC practice for your primary care and non-emergent medical services.
- You will schedule your first visit with your designated DPC provider by March 30, 2020 in order to establish care. This first visit must be in-person at the practice, located in Columbia, Maryland.
- After you have established care with your Direct Primary Care provider, you may begin using the virtual services, such as video visits. Your Direct Primary Care provider will determine if a video visit is appropriate for your care needs. Per state and federal regulations, you will need to be physically located in the state of Maryland during any video visit.
Individuals, including current DPC members, who want to enroll in DPC for 2020, please follow these instructions for how to enroll in SmartSource*:
- Open and log into the benefits platform at hopkinssmartsource.com
- On the welcome screen, find “Direct Primary Care: Overview and Participation Terms”
- Agree to the Direct Primary Care participation requirements
- You’ll be taken to a new view called, “Direct Primary Care: Optional Election & Dependents”
- Click “Edit Family Covered”
- Deselect any dependents who do not wish to participate in Direct Primary Care
- Select “Update Cart”
- In your shopping cart, confirm there is a check mark next to the following items: (1.) Direct Primary Care Overview and Participation Terms: Completed and (2.) Direct Primary Care: Optional Election & Dependents
- Finalize your benefits selections then click “Enroll”
If you have any questions regarding enrollment, please contact EHP customer service at 410-424-4450.
*** Space is limited. Individuals will be accepted on first-to-register basis. You will be notified after open enrollment closes whether you will participate in the pilot.
Jump to . . .
- Meet the DPC Providers
- Practice Location
- Primary Care Services
- Enrollment Instructions for 2020
Check out our additional resources: