Looking for resources on transgender health and well-being? Here we offer a variety of resources from Johns Hopkins and beyond to ensure you and your loved ones have the information you need to live fully and authentically.
- GLAAD Glossary of Terms
- GLADD Transgender Resource Guide
- Human Rights Campaign’s Transgender resources
- Tips For Allies Of Transgender People
- Transgender Visibility Guide
- WPATH Standards of Care
Transgender Health Resources
- The PRIDE Center of Maryland
- Free State Legal Project
- LGBT Older Adult Task Force of Howard County – local community events
- PFLAG Maryland Chapters
- GLSEN Maryland Chapter
- Baltimore Out Loud
- TransYouth Maryland
- AIDS Action Baltimore
- Baltimore Trans-Masculine Alliance
- Baltimore Harm Reduction Coalition
- Baltimore Transgender Alliance
- Chase Brexton Health Care
- DCATS (DC Area Trans Masculine Society)
- Greater Baltimore Counseling Center
- Hawn Therapy & Consulting
- Hearts & Ears
- Maryland Trans*Unity
- Trans Healthcare Maryland
- Whitman Walker Health
- Youth Empowered Society
National and International Resources
- Find out whether the EEOC is the right agency to help you
- How to file a federal healthcare discrimination complaint with EEOC
- Time Limits for EEOC Complaints
- Find your EEOC field office
- OSHA best practices guide on restroom access for transgender workers
- For federal contractors: How to file a discrimination complaint w/ OFCCP [Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs]
- For federal employees: OPM guidance on transgender federal employees
- For federal employees: How to file a federal discrimination complaint w/ EEOC
- For federal contractors: U.S. Dept. of Labor directive on transgender employees
- Coming Out in the Workplace as Transgender
Healthcare and Insurance
Legal Organizations and Law Enforcement Information
- American Civil Liberties Union LGBT Rights
- National Center for Lesbian Rights
- Lambda Legal
- Transgender Law Center
- National Center for Transgender Equality
- Gay and Lesbian Advocates & Defenders
- FreeState Justice
- ACLU of Maryland
- Sylvia Rivera Law Project
Law Enforcement Information
- What to do if you’re stopped by police or immigration agents
- ACLU/NCLR Know Your Rights guide for transgender prisoners
- ACLU PREA toolkit
- Find a certified PREA auditor
- The Library: ACLU LGBT Youth and Schools Resources and Links
- Schools in transition: A guide for supporting transgender students in K-12 schools
- Model district policy on transgender and gender nonconforming students
- GLSEN Sports Project
- Know Your Rights: A guide for trans and gender nonconforming students
- How to file a Title IX complaint with the U.S. Department of Education Office of Civil Rights
- Q&A on the Office of Civil Rights complaint process
- Q&A on Title IX and single-sex classes and activities
- OCR complaint forms (electronic & PDF)
Staff Educational Resources
LGBTQ Military Organizations
Transgender Health at Johns Hopkins
- A Bright New Start for Transgender Health
- Showing up for Transgender, Intersex and Non-Binary People
In light of the rumored DHHS memo reported by the New York Times, on November 8, Johns Hopkins students, staff, and faculty gathered for a group photograph in front of the Johns Hopkins Hospital dome.
- Safe, Comprehensive Transgender Health Care
For several years, adolescent medicine specialists Renata Sanders and Errol Fields had been seeing a handful of teenage and young adult patients who questioned or felt disconnected from their gender identity.
- Fundamentals for Caring for Transgender Patients
Paula Neira discusses how lack the cultural and clinical competence contributes to health disparities for transgender patients.
- Caring for Transgender Patients
Meet Paula Neira, clinical program director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Transgender Health. Learn more about her work to bring transgender health care issues to light in this article from Dome.
- Embracing the Rainbow: At Johns Hopkins and across the nation, initiatives are underway to help physicians better meet the health care needs of today’s lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender patients. Some say such efforts are long overdue.
- To Treat Transgender People, Open Your Hearts and Minds
With the help of expert staff members, health care providers are fighting to improve care disparities that transgender patients face. Learn more in this article from Dome.
- Toward Greater Equality for LGBTQ Patients
See how the EQUALITY Study, a three-year, multisite research collaboration between Johns Hopkins and Harvard, is providing new insight into LGBTQ care disparities in this article from the Johns Hopkins Medicine Diversity Annual Report.
- Transgender Patient Care: Meeting the Patient Where They Are
View the second annual LGBTQ Pride Lecture to learn how to better care for transgender patients and their families, and use proper pronouns and respectful language to speak about transgender people.
- Visit the Johns Hopkins Medicine Office of Diversity and Inclusion.
- Learn more about LGBTQ vocabulary and terminology.
- Browse LGBTQA affinity groups at Johns Hopkins.