More than 20 years ago two remarkable Baltimoreans approached Johns Hopkins Medicine with an idea that would impact the lives of thousands of women. Both survivors of cancers Mollye Block and Harriet Legum, wanted to empower women to make effective health care decisions for themselves and those they love. Johns Hopkins Medicine accepted their challenge.
The results has been a powerful women’s health conference, A Woman’s Journey. Since 1995, this Johns Hopkins annual women’s health conference has offered 32 seminars—all taught by Johns Hopkins faculty physicians and scientists. Women hear first-hand about advances in medicine from the individuals performing research in these medical specialties. From preserving your memory to surviving cancer, this one of a kind program attracts nearly 1,000 registrants. Mothers, daughters, sisters and friends come to learn from Hopkins scientists and from each other.
- In 2008, A Woman's Journey was introduced in West Palm Beach with the guidance of the program's founding co-chairs: Lee Callahan, Susan G. Keenan, Betsy Meany, Susan Telesco and Norma Kline Tiefel.
- This program stands out from other Palm Beach events. In one day, Johns Hopkins faculty members will share their knowledge and expertise in 10 seminars. Conference participants attend a plenary session, luncheon and two seminars and, as in Baltimore, hear first-hand about advances in medicine from the individuals performing research in these medical specialties.
- In 2009, A Woman's Journey held its first women's health briefing in Naples, Florida, where it has continued to offer area residents a two-hour briefing on women's health by three Johns Hopkins Medicine physicians.
- In 2012, A Woman's Journey, with support from Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital, brought programs to Sarasota, St. Petersburg and Tampa.
- In 2015, A Woman's Journey programs started in the Greater Washington Area as well as in Bermuda.
- In 2016, Kelly Geer Ripken joined Harriet Legum as national chairs of A Woman's Journey.
We hope you will join us at one of our various events.
A Woman’s Journey is sponsored by our media partners and corporate supporters.