The Joint Commission and Other Accreditations
Sibley Memorial Hospital is fully accredited by The Joint Commission and is licensed by the District of Columbia Department of Health.
- Sibley Imaging Services is accredited by the American College of Radiology in breast MRI, computed tomography, magnetic resonance imaging, nuclear medicine, positron emission tomography, ultrasound, vascular ultrasound.
- Sibley Memorial Hospital is certified by The Joint Commission as a Primary Stroke Center.
- The Sullivan Center for Breast Health is an American College of Radiology breast imaging Center of Excellence.
- The Division of Maternal-Fetal Medicine is accredited by the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine.
- The Sleep Disorders Centers is accredited by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine.
- The Emergency Department is accredited by the American College of Emergency Physicians’ Geriatric Emergency Department Accreditation (GEDA) as a Level 3 geriatric Emergency Department.
- Echocardiography is accredited by The Intersocietal Accreditation Commission.
- The Pathology Department is accredited by the College of American Pathologists. The blood bank is accredited by the American Association of Blood Banks (AABB).
- The Pharmacy Residency Program is accredited by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists.
- Sibley Memorial Hospital’s Renaissance Skilled Nursing Facility achieved the Pathway to Excellence in Long Term Care® from the American Nurses Credentialing Center.
Patient Safety and Quality Ratings
Sibley Memorial Hospital staff and physicians follow The Joint Commission National Patient Safety Goals as our framework for quality and safety. See how our hospital ranks in patient experience, home care quality, readmisions, infection prevention and other metrics as evaluated by Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services based on patient surveys.
Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grades
The Leapfrog Group evaluates hospital performance in preventing medical errors, infections and other harm among patients in their care.
DAISY Award and Other Nursing Awards
The DAISY Award is an internationally acknowledged recognition program to celebrate registered nurses that have exemplified extraordinary and compassionate patient care. A DAISY Award is given to a deserving nurse each quarter, based on criteria established to meet Sibley’s mission and values.
American Heart Association/American Stroke Association Awards
Sibley Memorial Hospital is home to a Primary Stroke Center as certified by The Joint Commission.
Each year, the American Heart Association recognizes hospitals that demonstrate a high commitment to following guidelines that improve patient outcomes.
Sibley Memorial Hospital Designations
- Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award
- Target: Stroke Honor Roll
- Target: Type 2 Diabetes Honor Roll
CHIME's Healthcare's Most Wired Designation
The College of Healthcare Information Management Executives (CHIME) conducts an annual survey to award the Most Wired designation to health care organizations that exemplify best practices through adoption, implementation and use of information technology to elevate the health and care of communities they serve.
Sibley Memorial Hospital is designated as Level 9. Organizations at this level are often leaders in health care technology that actively push the industry forward.
Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED)
The U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) has awarded Sibley Memorial Hospital’s Building B its LEED (Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design) Gold designation. LEED is the USGBC’s rating system for the design and construction of energy-efficient and high-performing buildings. The hospital engages in several environmentally friendly initiatives, including rain gardens, employee gardens and a gabion retaining wall.
- Sibley Memorial Hospital Emergency Department Earned the Emergency Nurses Association Lantern Award™ 2017 - 2020
- Bethesda Magazine Readers Vote Sibley "Best Hospital for Maternity" (2019)
- Sibley Memorial Hospital One of 83 Recognized by the ACS NSQIO for Achieving Meritorious Outcomes for Surgical Patient Care (2018)
- Sibley Memorial Hospital's Grand Oaks Assisted Living Residence Earns Bronze National Quality Award (2018)